Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Kecleon RR..?

ArmoredMewtwo

Well, for all who don't know what it does:

Kecleon
Basic Pokemon 70 HP :colorless

Pokebody:Colorful Body
Kecleon's type is (G)(R)(W)(L)(P)(F)(D)(M)(C)

:colorless :colorless :colorless Triple Smash 10+
Flip 3 Coins. This attack does 10 damage plus 20 more damage for each heads.

Weakness: Fighting +30
Resistance: None
Retreat Cost: (C)

Well, I was rather shocked to learn that I actually like the newest Kecleon (RR). There's so much to do with the little thing that it's all a matter of deciding what to do with him. His only major problem seems to be Dialga G Level X, but the usefulness of said metalic dragon seems to be leaving the format (come PotF's English equivalent, it will be practically redundant, in my opinion). Of course, there's always his first attack to fall back upon... :p

I've discovered quite a few things about this little runt, along with a friend from league, including...

1.) Let's get the obvious thing out of the way, shall we? Kecleon can use both Special Metal Energies and Special Darkness Energies. This means that Kecleon also benefits from Darkrai Level X.
2.) Kecleon benefits from most stadiums, particularly Sunnyshore Gym.
3.) Kecleon can benefit from Shaymin Level X and other Grass-aid cards such as Cherim.
4.) Kecleon hits for Weakness first, then Resistance, after applying other effects such as SDE and Plus Power. Resistance can be avoided completely against non-Electric Pokemon via Sunnyshore.

There's obviously more to it than that... I've been trying to study Kecleon to make a (relatively fun rather than competitive) deck for league, and have been trying to discover more combinations that could be useful and rule out those which are duds...

I also wonder about the actual playability of the card itself. Without some decent draw and energy acceleration, it really isn't worth the play. I know this from testing against whomever I could at league. It's not my intention to take this to a tourney or anything (though I think it would be rather humorous), I just want to find out if it's reasonably good for league play.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Heh, never really thought about Kecleon that way. Very interesting. I wish he had another attack other than Triple Smash, though. That seems massively risky.

Rather than using Sunnyshore, I'd use a Stadium that helps it get Energy faster...like Stark's Mountain (easily combined with the numerous Fighting Energy accelerators.) Also, Moonlight Stadium couldn't hurt, so that you can easily retreat Kecleon without having to recharge him afterward. Also, if you're using Shaymin/Cherrim, you may as well consider Sceptile GE, to help charge him faster.

It's a fairly interesting card that should see some interesting usage in fun play.

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys.

I'm currently using a combination that utilizes Grass Types, along with Sableye and Pachirisu as techs. Thanks to Upper Energy, the use of techs such as these has become more profitable (as my first Kecleon or Shaymin would be prepped quickly). I'm using Sunnyshore rather than Stark Mountain simply because preventing Weakness on Kecleon (and Pachirisu) as well as preventing resistance against its(/their) attacks comes in quite a bit of handy, especially against decks like Machamp (I've teched in a few Unown G's, just in case). Furthermore, there's Lucario GL to help along the way.

Only one thing to address...

Heh, never really thought about Kecleon that way. Very interesting. I wish he had another attack other than Triple Smash, though. That seems massively risky.
Only if you can't manage the appropriate setup. A Kecleon equipped with two Special Dark Energies backed by two Cherrim and a Lucario GL, assuming you can play Sunnyshore, is capable of doing somewhere between 50-220 damage without any additional help. Without the flips, it averages at about 100 damage, seeing as Pokemon without weakness are becoming rather rare.

Upper Energy makes the attack easier to use, too, and after having that and another energy attached, it's easy to throw on a third down the road.

Oh... And before I forget, one more thing: Floatzel GL. I'm not using it, but I really should.

Last edited:
EDIT: looks like I got ninja'd out of the Floatzel idea, but I'll explain a little more. Floatzel GL X will pick up Kecleon and all energy attached to it if it's KO'd. This is useful because if you aren't too lucky at flipping heads on Triple Smash, all of your Special Darks, Special Metals, and Uppers will come back to your hand, where you can either drop the Kecleon back down or smash face with Energy Cyclone. This to me sounds a lot better than Shaymin, because you won't be able to take advantage of Seed Flare as much as Energy Cyclone. Not to mention the Lv. X has free retreat, and it's perfectly OK to Level Max this guy.

There is lots of potential synergy here, but finding the right mix of cards to play with it will be the hardest part, and probably where the deck will fail. Not to mention it's an unreliable main attacker that gets shut off by Dialga.

Last edited:
Heheh, sorry about that, mrdraz.

Anyway, he essentially hit the point I was trying to make; restoring those special energies otherwise is a pain, and the ability to recycle a Kecleon isn't too bad, either, seeing as sometimes you'll have multiple prized.

Once again, I say Dialga G won't become too much of a problem, and that's only because some of the techs can be used as back up just in case. Lucario has an attack that uses one metal and two colorless energies, Shaymin (if used) only needs one grass and two colorless, and Floatzel (if used) only needs a few energies to attack as well. All in all, you're usually pretty set regardless of whether or not Dialga G is a factor, though the ideal situation would be when you're left without that annoyance on the field.

The primary issue I see coming up with the build you're contemplating is that your other pokemon require such a variety of energy types. With Roseanne's Research, Aaron's Collection, and even Energy Search, that may be less of an issue. But, in my experience, that kind of build frequently leaves you with only metal energy in your hand when all you need is grass energy for your Shaymin (or a similar situation.)

Only attack with Keckleon. 3 Sp Metal, 3 Sp Dark, 3 Upper, 3 Call, 3 Grass. 15 Energies total, with enough searchable ones to get by, and a clean, basic number of other useful energy.

^The above suggestion doesn't work as well as you may think... Call is useless if you're running Pachi, which you should be.
The primary issue I see coming up with the build you're contemplating is that your other pokemon require such a variety of energy types. With Roseanne's Research, Aaron's Collection, and even Energy Search, that may be less of an issue. But, in my experience, that kind of build frequently leaves you with only metal energy in your hand when all you need is grass energy for your Shaymin (or a similar situation.)
Well, the build I'm using is almost pure Grass on the side. Lucario requires only metal, which is already in the deck, Pachirisu requires any one colorless energy, and Sableye (if you want to donk) only needs one Dark Energy (which is already in the deck). I made the mention of Floatzel, but... Personally, I've not tried it yet.

Well, if your reliance is on the Special Metals and Darks, I'd recommend at least a few Rainbow Energy as well. They're nice and flexible for that usage. Also, are you running any Basic Metal and/or Dark? Even running just 1 Basic Dark can make a huge difference to whether or not you get to use your Starter Sableye's attack or not...And since everything else you described (except Pachi) needs 3 energy to attack, you'll want that Sableye able to do what it can. (Lucians Appointment can always pull the energy away, after all, and Moonlight then gives both Sableye and Kecleon free Retreat.)

Also, Rainbow/Multi Energy can work nicely there to fit with cards like Stark's Mountain, since they count as both the type you need for Sableye and Lucario, as well as being Fighting, it lets you shift them to Kecleon (or Lucario) when needed there.

I honestly don't like it. Its cost is energy cost is too hish and its attack doesn't do enough damage. I'd rather go PorygonZ/LucarioGL than this

3 energy is really cheap depending on the build of the deck. You want to bait KOs so that your Uppers are activated. And with Bronzong G, Lucian's, or Stark Mountain, you have your 3 energy back to attack with a fresh Kecleon. Yes you flip a lot for the main attack, but a new Kecleon is really easy to set up, so chances are you will get OHKOs eventually. Most of the backup techs can help close the game too--look at Shaymin, Floatzel, even Sableye.

I have trouble seeing Bronzong G being that useful in the described build, since the Pokemon you're likely to attach Energy to early on (besides Kecleon) are not SP Pokemon, so can't have Energy moved away from them.

Back