Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Kingdom Hearts

toxictaipan

Hey, everyone. Back again for more advice.

I finally bought Kingdom Hearts II yesterday and quickly realized I'm missing something. I haven't played Chain of Memories, so I'm missing out on part of the story.

So, I need your advice. Should I get Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories for the PS2? Is the original for the Game Boy Advance better? I eventually want to get all the titles in the series so I can complete the story, but I also don't want to buy a bad game... Are there any titles in the series that I should avoid completely?

Thanks in advance!

Watch the videos on youtube to get the story, most parts of the story are repetition anyway, dont buy the game unless youre a 100% fan, the game is AWFUL

It's better than you give it credit for, Yoshi-. The first half was quite enjoyable from my perspective. Then again, I like having total control over my characters levelup progressions. The second half was very repetitious, and I pretty much stopped after the first level.

Also, if you really want the whole story, pick up 358/2 for the DS. There's a lot of dialogue that really doesn't make any sense unless you've played through that game. Most notably, every O13 member except for Xemnas. And probably the first 2-3 hours of KH2 get a massive amount of clarity from that game. Not to mention that the game itself is one of the best RPGs on the DS.

What Yoshi- said. The story is mediocre at best, and the gameplay is horrible. They have a ridiculous new combat system in Chain of Memories that's really difficult to get used to and even worse to get proficient at.

I'd consider the game optional. It's not difficult at all to piece together the important things just from the exposition of Kingdom Hearts II -- I played through KH2 before I even knew Chain of Memories existed.

Well, my local video game store was having a 75% off any PS2 games under $35. But, I was at the mall tour and just decided to pick up KH2 at the Game Stop in the mall for $20. The copy they gave me is so scratched up my PS2 can hardly read it, so I'm taking it back. I called back and reserved the copy at my local store, and they said they'd still honor the sale price. I'm HOPING I can talk them into letting me get Re: Chain of Memories at the sale price, too (if they have a copy of it), but it's no guarantee. Even if it's the full $35, which I highly doubt it is, 75% off makes it only $8.75 before tax. But again, that's assuming they have a copy and will be nice and let me have the discount there, too.

Is it worth it if I can bargain my way into getting it at the sale price also?

KH2 is more then worth it. I still havent played the ds game because I want to play the psp game first but I cant since I dont own a psp. Ive got the ds game a year ago and still havent touched it. My friends told me that the psp game is incredibly, especially story-wise and basically changes the way you looked at the other games entirely. So hiped for that, I should find someone who can borrow me a psp xD

And @bullados
I loved the battling system although it was repetitive, the boss fights were awesome. But the gameplay? Run through square rooms for 20 hours? IDk, it seems like they made the battlesystem and decided they hd no time left to make an actual game around it.

I'm getting KH2 no matter what. You said not to buy the game, but I was asking if KH Re: Chain of Memories might be worth it at the dicounted price. ($8.75 MAX, but very likely less than that). Sorry for the confusion.

Probably, and if its only for your collections its still a good price, you can hardly do wrong with that. The original CoM is actually pretty expensive afaik, just because its pretty rare. We found it at a gamestop for like 25$ and a friend of mine got all hyped and wanted to buy it.

Yoshi-: Story notes specific to each world are repetitive if you've already played KH1, but that's acknowledged at the beginning. GBA is a notoriously limited place for a gaming franchise so enamored with its own graphical and storytelling prowess. KH1 wasn't as bad as CoM, but the various worlds had varying degrees of block rooms, especially Agrabah. I'll agree, though, that the overworld platforming and room construction was poor and repetitive. The battling system, however, was pretty darn good for a card battler, and the opponents (especially the boss battles) were varied enough for my taste at the time I played it. Also, the actual CO storyline adds so much to the overall experience of KH, understanding exactly what happened and the characters involved really adds a new layer to both KH2 and 358/2, especially Riku's story.

Well, I couldn't find a copy of Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories, but I did pick up 358/2 Days.

Is Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded any good?

I have no clue what people are talking about...Sure Chain of Memories could have been better (with the battle system being the only flaw in my eyes), but the actual story line its pretty dark too.

Would I recommend it? Of course I would! Without it there's a huge gap between KH 1 and KH 2. Sure it is a little repetitious if you play it right after KH 1 (because of all the world revisiting), but honestly I didnt mind.

My biggest beef with the ps2 version was that they didn't have voice acting throughout the WHOLE game, just in all the major cut scenes...

Re: Chain of Memories is a game to get. The battle system is the worst of all KH games, but the story is good. And a good chunk of the story is necessary to fully understand what happens in some of the other games And depending on what happens later on, (I think anyone who has played BBS and gone through the final Story knows what I'm talking about) it could be more important than we might think.

Last edited:
Re: Chain of Memories is a game to get. The battle system is the worst of all KH games, but the story is good. And a good chuck of the story is necessary to fully understand what happens in some of the other games And depending on what happens later on, (I think anyone who has played BBS and gone through the final Story knows what I'm talking about) it could be more important than we might think.

I can't speak for the PS2 remake, but the original CoM I thought had a great and unique battle system, and I thought all the PS2 remake did was change it so you can attack with the keyblade anytime instead of waiting for the card to pop up or something.

Well, I couldn't find a copy of Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories, but I did pick up 358/2 Days.

Is Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded any good?

Check out your local Walmart for Re:CoM, I see it all the time with all the discounted games in that section.

Re:Coded I think is basically another rehash of the first game or something, but it has its own little twists in it since Mickey is like using data from Jimmy's journal to recreate it and fill in missing blanks or something or another.

Back