Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Kingdra ex delta in the current format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jangrafess

Hi,

I've not been in the game for a few months (nine?) and Kingdra is what I used to use, and use quite well. At my regionals it was solid as ever, but couldn't do a thing against Gardevoir/Gallade. It beat Electivire, Banette and Magmortar a high percentage of the time. This could, of course, be sheer dumb luck, especially considering as my deck list looks highly suspect. (I added the newer cards in on the day of the tournament after borrowing them from mates.)

What I want to know is if there's a way of making the deck sturdier, and if there's a good tech against Gallade. I currently use Unown G, which works for a turn or two at most. It's not that effective really.

Here's the list:

Pokémon:

4-2-4 Kingdra ex d. (Sleepy Ball Horsea and Smokescreen Seadra.)
2 Rayquaza ex d.
1 Mew *
1-1 Claydol GE
3 Holon's Castform.
1-1 Cloyster d
2 Unown G

Supporters:

2 Scott
2 Oak's Visit
2 Castaway
3 Bebe's Search
2 Holon Mentor
1 Prof Rowan

Trainers/stadiums:

4 Rare Candy
3 Leftovers
1 Night Maintenance
2 Dual Ball

3 Holon Legacy
1 Battle Frontier

Energy:

6 Fighting
4 Delta Rainbow
2 Lightning

Thank you in advance for any help. (NB. Having been out of the game I may need to be told what some cards do.)

Make your Pokemon line something like this:
4-2-4 Kingdra EX δ
2-1-2 Meganium δ
2-2 Claydol
2 Unown G
2 Holons Castform
4 Pachirisu/Phione/Pinser δ
The first (Pachirisu) gets you 3 basic for 1 energy, the second (Phione) evolves one of your bench for 1 energy.
Or to save space, you could just use 4 Holons Castform as your starter, but that might not provide you a sure enough start, and it would make it a bit harder to draw with Claydol.

As for Trainers you'll probably want something like:
4 Rare Candy
3 Roseannes Research
2 Castaway
2 Buffer Piece
4 Bebe's Search
3 Steven's Advice
1 Night Maintenance

Energy would be something like:
4 Boost
10 Fighting

I think that adds up to be 60 cards, lol.

Now after typing this list I want to play Kingdra again! lol.
Good luck with it!

Thanks!

Just a few questions - is Cloyster d not somewhat necessary to avoid bench damage from Magmortar and Empoleon? Would it make sense to play a combination of Pachirisu and Phione? How necessary is Buffer Piece? I've found that Leftovers can be very useful -- but this is based on one tournament: am I wrong?

Cloyser δ would be very handy against those match ups indeed, but the list i was posting was for a more consistent build. If you wanted to you could easily tweak it a bit for the Cloyster δ, such as taking out a 1-1 line of Claydol. So if you wanted to do that I think it would still work well, it would just be a tad harder to get out Claydol on occasion.

And yes, it would make plenty of sense to play Pachirisu and Phione together. something like 3 Pachi and 1 Phione would work.
And about Buffer vs. Leaftovers, I think thats more up to preferance. I personally like Buffer Piece better because it will reduce the 20 right there, but Leaftovers could do very well too. So you can chose which you like better there, I myself am just more partial to Buffer Piece, lol.

this deck just begs for pinsir d. i would run something like the following:

3-2-3 kingdra ex
2-2 claydol
4 pinsir d
2 unown g
1 holon castform (searchable with mentor)
19 total pokemon

4 rare candy
3 holon mentor
4 professor rowan
3 master ball
3 dusk ball
3 pokedex
3 pokenav
3 buffer piece
1 switch
1 night maintenance
28 total trainers

13 fighting energy

Couldn't this deck play Unown G and Crystal Beach against Gallade? That way, it would be harder for them to attack. And you don't have to play both at once, just waste away their Windstorms.

master of puppets said:
Assistance.

This sounds good to me. I think I will be playing a 1-1 Cloyster line. (I've also only got one Claydol, which limits me somewhat! I have the other cards though.) I'll practice the deck with both Buffer Piece and Leftovers. Once again, thanks for your help -- really appreciate it.

revdjweb said:
Assistance.

Sorry, I don't really like the look of this. 3 Kingdra ex has never done it for me -- I like four, even if I won't be playing them all. And four Pinsir, despite there being a smaller number of delta pokémon in the deck also seems a little odd. Consistent starts, perhaps, but odd nevertheless. I'm also not a fan of the singular Holon's Castform. Bleh, sorry. Not a fan.

Alazor said:
Couldn't this deck play Unown G and Crystal Beach against Gallade? That way, it would be harder for them to attack. And you don't have to play both at once, just waste away their Windstorms.

This is true. If I'm not using Castforms. I'll think about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back