Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Lampras? Empoleon.

We used to play the free retreat guys that go on baby in Empoleon because of the Call for family type poke than go with the set up. Now with Lampras from GE is he a must for Empoleon decks?

Lapras should do WONDERS for Empoleon, for many different reasons. Despite requiring an energy, his Castaway like attack can get Empoleon what it needs early on (such as any Charms or Cessation Crystals), and any energy needed for set up. The supporter part is just as good/helpful.
I'd have to say yes, Lapras is a must for Empoleon decks now, as is Mawile.

The one thing that worries me about Lapras is Pachi. It's like an anti-Lapras and looks to be a common starter.

Personally..Being a Empoleon Player myself, Id rather use something else. Or no starter at all, and just allow my energy attachment go to good use. Instead of wasting a turn to get other cards out of my deck, that castaway could do without said attack.

What you mustn't forget is that you can let Lapras die, allowing you to Scramble a penguin.
And Pachi, anti-lapras? Yes, if you give the tool to Lapras. But you're probably going to give it to Empoleon, who will, in fact, OHKO Pachi.

Back