Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

BW-on Landorus EX/Garbodor (DRX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbgoldberg323

Hey guys! First post here!

Here's the deck I'm currently running. It's done well for me in playtesting and at League, but I'm still open to suggestions on it:

Pokémon: 12
4 Landorus EX
4 Trubbish NVI
4 Garbodor DRX

Trainers: 37
4 N
4 Colress
3 Bianca
2 Skyla
4 Pokémon Catcher
4 Float Stone
2 Rescue Scarf
2 Virbank City Gym
4 Hypnotoxic Laser
3 Enhanced Hammer
1 Switch
1 Scramble Switch
3 Heavy Balls

Energy: 11
11 Fighting

It actually works great and so far hasn't really struggled against anything (I'm usually setting up Garbodors with attached Tools by turn 2 and using Land's Judgment by turn 3, if not donking with Laser/Hammerhead on turn 2), but I honestly haven't been able to play against the big Plasma deck (Deoxys EX, Thunderus EX, Kyurem, Lugia EX). While I might shut down Deoxys and Lugia's abilities, the deck doesn't rely on those abilities to function and it has energy acceleration (which is why I added the Enhance Hammers, to kill those DCEs, Blends, and Plasma Energies). It's honestly the only thing I'm worried about facing, because Garbodor is so freaking awesome. :smile:

What are your guys thoughts on the deck? Sure, I know you all have seen similar decks before but do you have any thoughts on my build? I'd love some input.

Thanks!

((MOST RECENT CHANGES))
In league play on Sunday I dropped the three Enhanced Hammers for 3 Energy Retrieval. See comments below for more info.

Last edited:
How bout adding two Terrakion for revenge KO against things you've weakened with Landorus?
take out two bags of trash

I would be really concerned about your plasma matchup as Kyurem will really ruin your day. I like the above idea of running Terrakion as this would help against the inevitable Kyurem that you will run up against. If you are going to run rescue scarf you might need more switching options that just float stone, 1 switch and scramble switch. Try upping the switch count to 3 and cutting float stone to three. Also, max potion makes this deck the powerhouse that it is against darkrai, I would try to squeeze two in somehow.

I don't know how helpful 4 colress is going to be in a deck that won't have a large bench, and where are your Junipers? Juniper is easily the most powerful draw supporter that we have and to not include it would be to decrease your ability to go rapidly through your deck and thin out resources that you do not need.

How bout adding two Terrakion for revenge KO against things you've weakened with Landorus?
take out two bags of trash
By "two bags of trash" I assume you mean one Trubbish and one Garbodor as opposed to two Garbodor including their Trubbish. With three Garbodor/Trubbish I think I could still reliably get them out, but in all my playtesting with 4 in the deck not only am I able to get one set up by turn two or three reliably but even when my opponent is catcher-sniping, I'm usually still left with one or two. It's been so reliable. Additionally, I'm not sold on the idea of having two energy on a Terrakion when I could have two energy on yet another Landorus EX and be set up for another Land's Judgment. I do appreciate your input and I will at least give it a try with 3x Garbodor, 3x Trubbish, and 2x Terrakion.

I would be really concerned about your plasma matchup as Kyurem will really ruin your day. I like the above idea of running Terrakion as this would help against the inevitable Kyurem that you will run up against. If you are going to run rescue scarf you might need more switching options that just float stone, 1 switch and scramble switch. Try upping the switch count to 3 and cutting float stone to three. Also, max potion makes this deck the powerhouse that it is against darkrai, I would try to squeeze two in somehow.

I don't know how helpful 4 colress is going to be in a deck that won't have a large bench, and where are your Junipers? Juniper is easily the most powerful draw supporter that we have and to not include it would be to decrease your ability to go rapidly through your deck and thin out resources that you do not need.
Yes, Kyurem will put quite the hurt on a Landorus EX with Blizzard Burn. It is certainly something I'm worried about. As for running the Terrakion as an answer to Kyurem, I just don't think it will do the trick. Ideally after Kyurem OHKO's a Landorus (maybe after a catcher, maybe not), I would promote Terrakion and for two energy use Retaliate for 90. Now Kyurem has 40 damage left and enough energy to retreat. Sadly, Retaliate doesn't do base 40 so that a second use could knock Kyurem out. That means I'd have to attach a third energy to use Land Crush for the finish, or attach a float stone, retreat for a Landorus, and use Land's Judgment.

I also run Rescue Scarf just to have six tools (and to get Garbodor/Trubbish back) because believe it or not I get tool scrappered a lot. I try to stagger my tool placement by usually holding one (or laying out three if possible which is ideal) so that I have a backup. Making an opponent scrapper for one tool once or twice has helped a few times when they had no way of getting their last scrapper (stuck in the deck or prizes).

I really don't like Max Potion in decks without energy swaps (old Klinklang, Hydreigon, energy switch, etc). I've tried it in other decks (Darkrai/Landorus) and I can't ever bring myself to discard all that energy when the deck already discards 3 at a time to use Land's Judgment for 150 (an easy KO after hitting once or twice with Hammerhead, or Lasering with the Gym out). I think it just boils down to inexperience in knowing when to use it, but I can't seem to get it to work.

And don't knock my bro Colress lol. I find it odd that you think I won't have a large bench with 4x Garbodor and 4x Landorus. By turn 3-4 I'm usually sitting at 4 Pokémon and my opponents usually have the same, whether they're evolution decks or not. That may average at 6 cards (3 benched on both sides) but I've drawn 7-9 off of Colress more times than I've had to draw 2-3 and again I think this format happens to have a lot of decks that bench lots of Pokémon. I have had zero issues with this card, and I honestly think it's 100% better than Juniper in all regards. And also I often find myself with an N and a Colress so if the situation is not favorable for one, it may be for the other. Again, I've never ever had a problem with it and honestly I think it's a vastly underrated card.

I personally hate Juniper in decks that don't have some form of retrieval. Let me save you the time of explaining how the number of cards drawn (7) will never change. I know, I get it lol. I just can't stand discarding. I think being able to shuffle resources back into your deck that you may need later is crucial, especially since your odds of re-drawing them are usually low. This may also just be another of my differing opinions. I think all resources are needed (it's why they're in the deck) just maybe not right at that moment, which is why I'd rather have them go back into the deck for later than just dump 'em.

Sorry if that's not in-line with popular opinion lol, and I'm not trying to be obtuse. I'm just trying to explain my thoughts on certain cards/strategies to help you guys know why I made x or y choices.

As I stated above, I will try the Retaliate Terrakion but in the back of my mind I think it's sub-par to just energizing another Landorus.

PS: I also changed up my deck slightly today at league, after realizing that not every deck runs special energy (damn you, Plasma Klang lol). I traded out the three Enhanced Hammer for three Energy Retrieval to allow for easier set-ups of secondary Land's Judgments. It went okay but three was definitely overkill and I'd rather have something better in that slot (so I'd like to know what you guys think would be better in the deck, maybe Tool Scrapper to hamper Keldeo/Float Stone or Plasma Klang/Float Stone?).

Thank you both for your input, I appreciate the knowledgeable advice! :thumb:

Last edited:
This deck needs a lot of work.....you need more than just landours. Like terrikion for example. And you have way to many garbord and trubish in here.

There are a lot of garbadors, but the guy who won NW regional ( I'm pretty sure the biggest regionals in the states ) played a 4-3 line of garbador and its arguable that was the reason he won... cause he had a constant ability lock. But you do need another attacker. Maybe mewtwo ex? He's good everywhere. Or maybe terramion ex. Cause it'll do 90 for 3 energies and help accelerate energies onto another landorous.

There are a lot of garbadors, but the guy who won NW regional ( I'm pretty sure the biggest regionals in the states ) played a 4-3 line of garbador and its arguable that was the reason he won... cause he had a constant ability lock. But you do need another attacker. Maybe mewtwo ex? He's good everywhere. Or maybe terramion ex. Cause it'll do 90 for 3 energies and help accelerate energies onto another landorous.

Would you mind linking the information on his deck?

I agree entirely with that line of thought on the Garbodors, and I honestly have thought of that Terrakion EX. Problem is that's 3 energy that's not on another Landorus for another Land's Judgment. It would help speed things along though, so I can try that too. I didn't get a chance to play any games today but I will try to run the normal Terrakion and the EX version tomorrow if possible, and then I can report back my findings.

And now I apologize but here's some ranting:

From others it seems all I'm getting is the typical regurgitated lines that I get on Pokébeach, with no thought or explanation to them. Just one-line fixes based on what everyone else says. No one seems to be able to explain why having a different attacker is better than having another Landorus set up when it is so hard to do so in the first place, especially when I've told people that the deck has done well against pretty much everything except Plasma EX deck, the 10 gym deck, Snorlock, and Vibrava/Celebi/Dusknoir, all of which I haven't played against yet.

With only 11 energy in a 60 card deck (and some inevitably going into the prizes) and no form of energy acceleration or switching a-la Hydreigon or KlingKlang, it's not always possible to set up a Landorus or two and then a third attacker. Landorus is amazing so why not have multiple ready to go? Like I said, no one seems to be able to answer that. I made the point in my last post that having a Terrakion set up to Retaliate against Kyurem just didn't make any sense to me as far as damage output is concerned, and people are still blindly suggesting the card lol. I'll be trying it today or tomorrow but I'm just not convinced it's the auto-include everyone thinks it is.

I'm still glad I'm getting replies however, and thank you Shadow-Bario for giving me some different input! :D

Ok here is my opinion! Having a non ex (terrakion for example) gives you the chance to exchange non ex kills for ex kills! It all helps helps your blastoise matchup. 130 Hp is also in a range that is harder to 1 shot, more likely a 2 turn knock out, which helps for exchanging 1 prize for 2. Plus with retaliate you have the potential for doing 90 with 2 energy. Thats my take on it =p If you have any questions feel free to ask. I would think the 4 lando would be really good, but adding in 1-2 terrakion(s) would help with some of your bad match ups =]

Ok here is my opinion! Having a non ex (terrakion for example) gives you the chance to exchange non ex kills for ex kills! It all helps helps your blastoise matchup. 130 Hp is also in a range that is harder to 1 shot, more likely a 2 turn knock out, which helps for exchanging 1 prize for 2. Plus with retaliate you have the potential for doing 90 with 2 energy. Thats my take on it =p If you have any questions feel free to ask. I would think the 4 lando would be really good, but adding in 1-2 terrakion(s) would help with some of your bad match ups =]

That's a good point. I'm not happy with Terrakion's cap of 90 damage for 3 energy (90 for 2 if Retaliate can go off) but you're right that Blastoise/Kyurem won't one-shot it and it might slow down the prizes. Hmm. Yes I will definitely give it a go today and reply back with results. Thanks!

Landorus can't be your only attacker, that's a fact. You might as well go the Big Basics route and add in a Mewtwo or two, a Terrakion and a Tornadus for more DCE usage (once a Mewtwo is added). Plasma decks are annoying but your only real fear initially is Kyurem.

I'd say take as much advice from these people as possible. Landorus is tough to use now..so more creativity is needed nowadays.

I apologize for coming off as unwilling to take advice but that's not why I am asking all these questions lol. I very much plan on taking everyone's advice and I have a few games scheduled today with some friends thus I've taken out a Landorus, a Trubbish, a Garbodor, a Float Stone, and an Energy Retrieval, and put in two Terrakion, a Terrakion EX, another switch, and one more Heavy Ball.

We shall see how things go!

PS: Yeah, Landorus is difficult to set up but I've become pretty proficient at recognizing OHKO opportunities with previously set-up Hammerheads or in combination with Virbank/Lasers. You're right, it takes some doing to get him into the position to knock stuff out reliably, likely including the Plasma EX deck (made mostly out of Pokémon with 170+ HP).

Definetly need juniper. It seems bad to discard your hand but you need at least a few. You should also add 1 switch and take out 1-2 Colress.

Throughout most of this season, I've run a Landorus-Mewtwo-Tornadus deck quite successfully. However, with the release of the Plasma Freeze set, I altered my deck to include Garbodor. From my playtest and tournament experience, I'd suggest or have the following comments for your consideration:
  • I run a 3-3 Garbodor line in my deck and typically will have 2 Garbodors in play most of the time. I too run 2 Rescue Scarf which help keep the Garbodors in play most/all of the game.
  • Like you, I also have 6 Tools in my deck, but 2 are Eviolite. Attaching an Eviolite to an early game attacking Landorus EX can be very helpful
  • I've included 1 Energy Press'ing Cobalion to counter the Plasma Kyurem. There are 3 M energy in my deck too along with 8 F energy.
  • As suggested by others, you may want to consider adding another attacker like Mewtwo EX. Otherwise, a Blastoise player (let's assume) would Tool Scrapper (still assuming...) your Garbodors or just manually attach 3 W to his/her Keldeo EX and just start 1HKOing your Landos thereafter.
  • Assuming you play against non-Plasma Box/TDK decks 50% of the time, you may want to replace the Enhanced Hammers with Crushing Hammers which can be used in all matches- obviously with the coin flip risk.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

Last edited:
Throughout most of this season, I've run a Landorus-Mewtwo-Tornadus deck quite successfully. However, with the release of the Plasma Freeze set, I altered my deck to include Garbodor. From my playtest and tournament experience, I'd suggest or have the following comments for your consideration:
  • I run a 3-3 Garbodor line in my deck and typically will have 2 Garbodors in play most of the time. I too run 2 Rescue Scarf which help keep the Garbodors in play most/all of the game.
  • Like you, I also have 6 Tools in my deck, but 2 are Eviolite. Attaching an Eviolite to an early game attacking Landorus EX can be very helpful
  • I've included 1 Energy Press'ing Cobalion to counter the Plasma Kyurem. There are 3 M energy in my deck too along with 8 F energy.
  • As suggested by others, you may want to consider adding another attacker like Mewtwo EX. Otherwise, a Blastoise player (let's assume) would Tool Scrapper (still assuming...) your Garbodors or just manually attach 3 W to his/her Keldeo EX and just start 1HKOing your Landos thereafter.
  • Assuming you play against non-Plasma Box/TDK decks 50% of the time, you may want to replace the Enhanced Hammers with Crushing Hammers which can be used in all matches- obviously with the coin flip risk.
I hope you find these comments helpful.
Hey, thanks a ton for the solid info! :D

1) I agree with Rescue Scarf as a solid tool for Garbodor, especially if you're just going 3-3.
2) Hmm, Eviolite has always been a nasty tool. I might actually have to give it a try again.
3) It's funny you mention that, I actually was running Cobalion EX with 4 Metal because Righteous Edge is an amazing attack in this format (and it screws with Mewtwo EX's lol), and Steel Bullet is just fantastic. Problem is, I almost always would rather have a 3-energy Landorus instead because of his consistency to put out 180 damage.
4) I am about to playtest against a solid Blastoise/Keldeo today (Tuesday), but after playing with Terrakion last weekend, I have to say I was severely disappointed with it, and after my matches (which did not include Blastoise/Keldeo hence today's matches) I wished I had never made the changes.
5) You'd be correct in that assumption, I don't get to play against Plasma EX's often. Also, I dropped the hammers entirely in favor of Energy Retrievals, which have helped out tremendously with additional Land's Judgments and made the deck flow better.

Thanks for the tips TuxedoBlack! You've given me things to think about, and I may have to throw in some Eviolites (along with putting back in my 4th Landorus and 4th Garbodor and Trubbish). I will reply back tonight with updates on the Blastoise/Keldeo matches. Fingers crossed! :lol:

Fyi: I also added a Cobalion EX too. This Poké is also very useful against Plasma decks or any deck running special energy. Furthermore, Steel Bullet blasts through any effect perhaps protecting the defending Poké too.

Hey, thanks a ton for the solid info! :D

3) It's funny you mention that, I actually was running Cobalion EX with 4 Metal because Righteous Edge is an amazing attack in this format (and it screws with Mewtwo EX's lol), and Steel Bullet is just fantastic. Problem is, I almost always would rather have a 3-energy Landorus instead because of his consistency to put out 180 damage.

I don't believe tuxedo black was saying to throw 3 energy on Cobalion-EX for steel bullet, only rightous edge. Plasma Decks will typically run all special energy. So tuxedo is suggesting to only attach one energy and use his first attack which will hit for 60 and discard an energy.
This and possibly adding a couple WLFM Blend energies, you could use those energies for any of your pokemon instead of having to replace fighting for metal.

I cannot reiterate how imperative it is to get another attacker that isn't weak to water. A plasma deck will set up a kyurem with two deoxys pretty consistantly turn one, which will be hitting and koing your landorus with frost spear on turn 2.

Try imputing your deck onto bebesearch.com and playtest your deck on playtcg.com
about 50-75% of the decks played on there are plasma box. That should give you a good idea on how your deck will do against plasma decks.

Hope this helped :)

P.S. I was reading the above comments, a good time to use max potion would be after a land's judgement, when you discard your energy. Then after you potion, attach a fighting and start using hammerhead.

By the way, I now run 4 Float Stones and 2 Rescue Scarfs. The Eviolites were replaced for the more useful Float Stones.

I do use Righteous Edge most often, not Steel Bullet. However, there are occasions where I do Scramble Switch energy unto my Cobalion EX to fully load it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back