Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

LegendCallerL's Fix-A-Card Contest

Hi everyone. I’m here with a Create-a-Card Contest. With me judging will be Human Destroyer and Otaku. Let’s cover some of the rules and concepts.

Purpose
The idea behind this contest is not to come up with brand new cards or bring back a Pokemon not in our cardpool. Instead, the idea is to fix cards in our current sets and make them, well, playable. Just take some card or evolution line deemed unplayable competitively and make them good. You don’t have to edit the entire evolution line if you feel it’s not necessary. If a stage 2 would be playable if only the basic or stage 1 was better, feel free to just change the lower stages. Same goes for the lower stages. If it works, you can keep it.

Format
This contest is designed with BW-on in mind. This includes Dragons Exalted.

Recommended Avoid List
This is a list of cards that may be playable or powerful taking into account BW-on. It is recommended to avoid these but by no means does that mean that you cannot use them. If you can rebalance these, improve them slightly, reimagine them, or fix up other cards in their lines, go ahead.

BLW: Ability Serperior, Emboar (both), Reshiram, Reuniclus, Zekrom, Zoroark, Klinklang, Cinccino, Bouffalant 91
EPO: Beartic 30, Emolga, Thundurus, Tornadus, Gothitelle

NVI: Virizion, Victini (V-Create), Victini (Victory Star), Seismitoad, Vanilluxe, Kyurem, Eelektrik, Cofagrigus, Victini (Victory Blast), Chandelure, Conkledurr, Terrakion, Landorus, Conkledurr (Ability), Hydregion, Bisharp (Metal), Durant, Cobalion, Audino, Haxorus, Druddigon

NEX: Amoongus, Moltres, Chandelure, Reshiram, Reshiram EX, Lapras (Call for Family), Articuno, Vanilluxe, Kyurem EX, Zapdos, Zebstrika, Zekrom, Zekrom EX, Mewtwo EX, Gardevoir, Musharna, Darmanitan, Hippowdon, Regigigas EX, Cinccino

DEX: Venusaur, Scyther, Carnivine, Accelgor, Entei EX, Blaziken, Volcarona, Slowbro, Empoleon, Raikou EX, Plusle, Eelektross, Espeon, Cofagrigus, Groudon EX, Excadrill 56, Umbreon 61,Sableye, Darkrai EX, Krookodile, Zorua 69, Zoroark, Chansey (both), Tornadus EX

Entry Format
Entries should follow this format.
Entrant:
Number of Cards:
__________________________________________________________________________________
Name:
Type:
Stage:
HP:
Weakness:
Resistance:
Retreat:

Illustration:

Ability/Attack:

Attack Cost/Name/Damage

Lore:
__________________________________________________________________________________

For example…
Entrant: Otaku
Number of Cards: 3 (Stage 2 Evolution Line)
Name: Slaking
Type: (C)
Stage: 2 (Evolves from Vigoroth)
HP: 160
Weakness: (F)
Resistance: None
Retreat: CCCC

Illustration: We see Slaking from behind and to the right. It has just driven its fist into the ground,
and in the upper-right-hand corner, we can vaguely make out the shape of another Slaking that was
sent flying! Around the attacking Slaking are large piles of fruit.

Ability: Large And In Charge
For every each Energy attached to this Pokémon, this Pokémon gains +20 HP (This increase affects
both current and maximum HP).

Attack:
(CCCC) Critical Move [200]
Discard two Energy attached to this Pokémon or this attack does nothing. This Pokémon
cannot attack during your opponent’s next turn.

Lore: Slaking are capable of dealing powerful blows, but will rest afterwards.
Name: Vigoroth
Stage: 1 (Evolves from Slakoth)
HP: 110
Retreat: (C)

Illustration: We a Vigoroth leaping toward the face of the card, with a bemused looking Slaking behind it.
You can just make out enough to see that they are in a sanctioned, “generic” stadium based battle.

Ability: Overeager
When this Pokémon is played from hand to Evolve a Pokémon on your Bench, you must switch this Pokémon
with your Active Pokémon.

Attack:
(CC) Exuberant Slash [40]
If this Pokémon Evolved this turn, this attack does 40 damage plus 40 more points of damage.

Lore: Vigoroth are so excitable that they will fight about which one gets to fight first
Name: Slakoth
Stage: Basic
HP: 70
Retreat: (C)(C)

Illustration: We see a Slakoth tumbling through the air with fruit flying around it. The Slakoth seems
surprisingly relaxed, almost sleepy.

Ability: Just Go With It
When this Pokémon would be damaged by an attack from an opponent’s Pokémon, you may discard as
many cards from your hand as you like. For each card discarded in this manner, reduce the damage done
to this Pokémon by 30 (Before Applying Weakness and Resistance).

Attack:
(C) Fatiguing Foraging
Draw four cards. This Pokémon is now Asleep.

Lore: Slakoth are so mellow that it can reduce injuries from attacks.

Participants:
1.cabd
2.Shino Bug Master
3.vaporeon
4.GoldenSwablu
5.ThePokePlayer
6. AlmightyGoldenGarchomp

A few lines or paragraphs explaining strategy would be appreciated, as well as the set and number of the card before editing.
As scans of Dragons Exalted have appeared, the deadline is now set at August 6. Cards already submitted can be altered until the deadline. Feel free to post your questions and comments. Good luck, let’s get started.

Last edited:
I'm in, but with one small complaint/request. Anything after Dragon Selection and Dragon Blade/Dragon Blast shouldn't be included. We have only a few cards revealed (Ether, Kyruem exs, etc) but the majority of the format that will arise from those cards being realized we cannot possibly imagine. Additionally, things may be released as this competiton goes on from the same set, and the remainder of the cards could take these cards to new hieghts that we would be missuing them towards. If we cut it to the Dragon sets, we at least know that the cards were released in a way that they were a complete unit. Partial formats don't make any sense and i would motion to have the tourney operating BLW-Dragon Sets instead.

Alternately, would it make sense to you if I change BLW-Dragons to the standard, with any additional future cards as an option to fit into strategy? I'llneed to talk to the other judges about this, get their thoughts.

I'd say either:

a) BLW-DEX, no Dragons Exalted cards can be modified.

or

b) BLW-DRX, Dragons Exalted cards can be modified.

In the case of b), recommend to avoid AT LEAST the EXs (except possibly Giratina and Ho-Oh), Hydreigon, Garchomp, Altaria, and possibly Sigilyph.

TPC does not design cards in a vacuum, nor do they wait until the last second to design the set they are about to release. While cards that have been revealed are still largely unknown, why should you not be responsible for researching them? This kind of contest would have to use a past, dead format if you need to concretely know what cards are coming and how well they performed... and as you all should know even then the specifics are hotly debated.

Some very rational, seemingly balanced card designs proved anything but thanks to Junk Arm. Imagine if it were to be revealed it was being reprinted in Plasma Gale! I'd certainly want you to all take that into account in your card designs. Even something that may be great or may be fail like Ether still shouldn't be ignored. Obviously any effect that let you top deck a basic Energy is "okay" on its own but quite potent in a format with Ether.

The thing is, it would be unfair to players if something is released once some people have submitted. I think in the spriti of fairness, I'd like to request the game mods (you guys) to provide us a list of cards (excluding the ones in the dragon sets) that must be factored into our designs.

Another question: The idea is to fix a card right? The example doesn't really fix any card, rather making a new one. Is the idea to just make a currently released unplayable Pokemon playable, or try and fix one up so it's just better?

The example was just for formatting. The idea is to make an unplayable card/line in BW-Dragons Exalted so it is playable BW-Dragons Exalted.

I'd prefer a contest to make broken cards more balanced than trying to up the power of cards that should be playable.

EDIT:

Here's how Reshiram and Zekrom could have been more balanced

Zekrom - 100hp

CC Outrage 20+ - Does 10 damage more damage for each damage counter on this pokemon
LLC Bolt Strke 90 - This Pokemon does 30 damage to itself
Weakness = Fighting
Retreat = 2

Reshiram 100hp

CC Claw Swipe 30
RRR Blue Flare 100 - Discard all R energy attached to this pokemon
Weakness = Water
Retreat = 2

Last edited:
The problem with making cards more "balanced" is that we have no metagame to compare them too. Maybe those would've been easier on the initial metagame when BLW came out, but look at it now. There are cards more broken than Reshiram and Zekrom by far, and the way you edited the cards, they could completely fail and fall out of the meta completely. What does that acommplish? Unless you intend to make a completely corrective set of cards, the only way to go is up, bringing mitreated cards to a new, hypothetical light with minimal tweaks.

But yeah. still waiting for their to be a real base and a deadline. I do like the idea of the tourney and hope it takes off a bit more. Can't find the line i really want to make good yet.

Back