Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Level 100

master128512

I have a question for all the people that play in tournaments and the people that organize tournaments. I was just wondering why most of the time the level for pokemon entrents are 100? Wouldn't it be easier if they were 50 since it is much more time consuming to get to 100 and if you ask me, sitting around training pokemon to level 100 is pretty boring. It would be the same thing if they were level 50 except for not being able to use Tyranitar and Dragonite, and there are so many other pokemon we could use besides them. I was just wondering that.

it doesn't matter with the level balance feature of wifi. even then, you're making it extremely difficult, if not impossible, for some pokemon to get moves that they learn above level 50, which would make no sense.

Ok, but what about when you can't use the wifi feature. Let's say at state or reginals or pre-realeses. And what about the moves they learn above level 50? If it's level 50, your opponents won't be able to use those moves either. And even if you can't use them, there are still a lot of great tm's and egg moves that have at least a base attack power of 100. Oh, and move tutor moves are fantastic. So I still don't think it is neccesary to use level 100s. Is there anybody that agrees with me?

Ok, but what about when you can't use the wifi feature. Let's say at state or reginals or pre-realeses. And what about the moves they learn above level 50? If it's level 50, your opponents won't be able to use those moves either. And even if you can't use them, there are still a lot of great tm's and egg moves that have at least a base attack power of 100. Oh, and move tutor moves are fantastic. So I still don't think it is neccesary to use level 100s. Is there anybody that agrees with me?
you're trying to create another format/metagame then, which is unnecessary. some pokemon haven't reached their full potential at level 50.

and as a question thrown out to everyone, are your stats at 50 essentially half that at 100? would battles be different?

Simple. When they're level 100, you don't have to worry about them leveling up anymore. If your well-trained Pokemon suddenly went to level 51 without you realizing or paying attention, wouldn't you be ticked that you couldn't use it in level 50 battles anymore?

Pokemon could be baned from Lv 50 for going above Lv 50, but you can't go above Lv 100! Also, we have to allow Dragonite and Tyranitar, or else there wouldn't be all 493 Pokemon allowed. Also, it would stop Regigigas, Rayquaza, Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, Heatran, Giratina, etc. from battling in Lv. 50.

I don't understand how it is creating another format or metagame just by having pokemon at level 50 than 100. And as for reaching their full potential, as long as you train your pokemon properly, which includes having the right nature and characteristic and ev traing them for the right stat, they can get really strong, even at level 50. I have a Metagross that had an attack of 200 and speed of 120 at level 50 just by having the correct nature and ev training. My freind has a Porygon-Z that has a special attack of 201 at level 50. I'd say that is at full potential. And MegaVelocibot, I only use the pokemon I've trained for tournaments for tournaments, so they have no chance of gaining any experience and leveling up.

It becomes a whole new metagame becuase the couple pokemon you can't catch untill after lvl 50 can't be used, which are some key pokemon when they are allowed in tournaments. Also since most pokemon don't get full ev benefits untill lvl 100 there pokemon might be able to survive more hits than at lvl 100 if your opponet fully ev trained sp. Attack but you didn't even bother sp. Defense you could stil survive a hit probaly with some pokemon while at lvl 100 that is less likely since you get the full benefits from ev boosts.

At Lv.100, pokemon are fully trained, all the EV's are usually used up so their stats are maxed out, The poekmon are fully evolved, and they've learned all the attacks they can learn by leveling up. Don't forget that their are a lot pokemon that learn attacks above Lv.50. (Mewtwo, Ho-oh, Tyranitar...)
Don't forget that Nitendo does Lv.100 tournaments as well. Remember JAA?
~Cyber~

there's absolutely no reason to play lvl 50 instead of lvl 100 besides the grinding factor. you're just limiting the things you can do otherwise.

Of course you're creating a new metagame! You're eliminating two of the best sweepers in the game, you're preventing azelf and uxie from being able to EV train (thank you very much caught at level 50), you're eliminating a LOT of moves... Explain to me how none of this affects the metagame.
Also, you're effectively preventing people from playing the single-player game with their main team out of fear of leveling them past 50. Just because YOU don't use them doesn't mean other people will. And what tournaments are you participating in at level 50?

The reason why you don't have much support on this issue is because what you're proposing is basically simply out of laziness and doesn't pay any attention to the consiquences that it would have.

My freind has a Porygon-Z that has a special attack of 201 at level 50. I'd say that is at full potential.
i tihnk i could have gotten that porygon 2 maybe 3 points stronger if i didnt miscalculate my exp. till lvl 51. but 201 is not bad

Also, you're effectively preventing people from playing the single-player game with their main team out of fear of leveling them past 50. And what tournaments are you participating in at level 50?
for me i just play through the game just so i can get to the end(to migrate/trade) to get a new pokemon team to a competitive lvl. i have my team just for playing the game which will consist of whatever i caught plus whatever starter i chose.

and when we would go to Gym Challenges/States/pre-releases there would be side GBA tournies with lvl 50s.

Last edited:
and when we would go to Gym Challenges/States/pre-releases there would be side GBA tournies with lvl 50s.

That's funny, 'cause the Nats DS tournament had Lv.100's and all the DS tournaments put together in the NW are at Lv.100.

My partner and I think Lv.100 is the best way to go since that's as intense as it gets and it all comes down to how well the pokemon have been trained.
~Cyber~

That's funny, 'cause the Nats DS tournament had Lv.100's and all the DS tournaments put together in the NW are at Lv.100.

My partner and I think Lv.100 is the best way to go since that's as intense as it gets and it all comes down to how well the pokemon have been trained.
~Cyber~

well we havent been to one recently the last was States this past season before D/P was out. however we did not enter becuz the GBA tourny was the day before States(the day we spent traveling to States). so maybe thats how it is now? we were introduced to the lvl 50 side tournies in the 2004-2005 season.

well we havent been to one recently the last was States this past season before D/P was out. however we did not enter becuz the GBA tourny was the day before States(the day we spent traveling to States). so maybe thats how it is now? we were introduced to the lvl 50 side tournies in the 2004-2005 season.

That actually explains a lot. What you could to is slowly move up to Lv.100. Here in Oregon, we went from Lv.50 to Lv.70 and then finally, Lv.100. You could do something similar for your local DS tournaments.
And if everyone is too lazy to train, that's what WiFi battles are for! :wink:
~Cyber~

Back