Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Leveling Up

RoamDog

1. Can I use Wally's Training to go get a LvX upgrade?
Wally's Training Search your deck for a card that evolves from your Active Pokemon (choose 1 if there are 2) and put it on your Active Pokemon. (This counts as evolving that Pokemon.) Shuffle your deck afterward.

2. Can I use Bebe's Search to go get a LvX upgrade?
Bebe's Search Choose a card from your hand and put it on top of your deck. Search your deck for a Pokemon, show it to your opponent, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward. (If this is the only card in your hand, you can't play this card.)

3. I am confused by the rulings in Compendium listed below. Are they not contradictory? If not, can you explain the nuance that I am missing?

Q. Can I use Celio's Network to search my deck for a Pokémon LV.X?
A. Yes, you can. Earlier card references of "Basic Pokémon or Evolution card" refers to Pokémon in general, which includes Pokémon LV.X. (May 10, 2007 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Can you use Roseanne's Research to search for a Lv.X Pokemon that levels up from a Basic (i.e. Mewtwo Lv.X)?
A. No, you cannot. Until they are put in play Lv.X Pokemon are not considered to be Basics nor Evolution cards. (Sep 25, 2008 PUI Rules Team)

Celio's Network Search your deck for a Basic Pokemon or Evolution card (excluding Pokemon-ex), show it to your opponent, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Roseanne's Research Search your deck for up to 2 in any combination of basic Pokemon and basic Energy cards, show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

4. Can I use Team Aqua Belt to go get a LvX upgrade?
Team Aqua Belt At any time between turns, if the Pokemon Team Aqua Belt is attached to is your Active Pokemon, search your deck for a card that evolves from that Pokemon and put it on that Pokemon. (This counts as evolving that Pokemon.) Shuffle your deck afterward, then discard Team Aqua Belt.

Last edited:
Leveling up is not evolving, so all cards searching for or helping with evolutions don't apply to LvX or leveling up.

The other bit is tricky. This old phrase, "Basic Pokemon or Evolution Card" is, in effect, the translation of a term which means "a card, which is a Pokemon". That includes Level X. While it is neither evolution nor basic in the deck, still it is "a card which is a Pokemon". That old phrase is awkward; you just have to know it does NOT mean 'both basic and evolution cards' but 'a Pokemon card'.

Celio's searched for all (it used both terms, which translates to just the word "Pokemon"), while Roseanne's Research only searched for Basics. Not "all" Pokemon. So it can't get a Level Up card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back