Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Locks in the new format

RevYolution

So with all the heavy hitting stage one and twos along with the crazy dragons and legendaries does anyone else feel that a rise in locking decks is on the way.

In this format, locks are hard to pull off.
As Miamisportsfan said, decks would rather concentrate on setting up fast than locking.

Lock decks could do very well but they need some time to set up and this format is getting a little faster with the release of catcher, speculated to be in the next set. My dad has been wanting to build a umbreon/vileplume deck in this format and I have been telling him it maybe, too, slow to work. If you decide to build a lock deck you will need to test a bit and make it as consistant as can be. I wish you the best of luck if you make one. If you ever need help shot me a PM.

There will be a rise of a certain Prime that hasn't seen much play before. Celibi Prime is a great lock card, I just wonder who can figure out what to put it with;)
Posted with Mobile style...

I see where speed would be an issue but I have a few lock decks in the works that I feel can and will do very well. Think about it a good lock deck will not allow the speedy set up of your opponent by either not letting them get the cards they need, discarding cards they need or forcing them to play with pokemon that are not their main attackers. I think that if this can be achieved with a consistent draw that deck will be able to top cut at many tournaments.

The best lock deck is something utilizing Vileplume imo, and Yanmega kind of made that an iffy play.

I disagree with this. I think that Vileplume is a very good start to a lock deck but it is by far not the best way to lock IMO. The combo of Slowking and Weavile is much better. One both are stage ones so they are on average faster to set up than Vileplume. Two Slowking makes you able to control what your opponent gets in their hand so you are able to avoid catcher and other cards in general that could help them set up. And finally Weavile allows you to look at their hand and discard a card of your choice. So this combo is much better than preventing yourself and your opponent from playing items.

And that combo I have tested and works well. I think that the addition of Slowking to further hinder them works very well too and a splashing of Muk is beautiful.

There will be a rise of a certain Prime that hasn't seen much play before. Celibi Prime is a great lock card, I just wonder who can figure out what to put it with;)

Yanmega???
That kind of post doesn't work anymore.

Zekrom pretty much killed any hope of Celebi ever being used as anything more than a leaf energy buffer.

Slowking/Houndoom is a fun deck. Doesnt take long to get set up, but you'll have to hope you can get your Dooms to survive a blow, especially until you got your opponent locked down. Rocket's Trickery is a great asset to it.

Celibi Prime/Vespiqueen/Vileplume/Roserade

It kills Yanmega, based on the trainer list and ability to prevent bench damage.

Back