Play begins at: 11am

Cost for main tournament: $10

Tournament Location:
Atrium Hotel
Hibiscus Room
18700 Mac Arthur Blvd
Irvine, CA 92612
Ph: 800.854.3012

The winner of each of the 3 age groups will win an expenses paid trip (airfare/hotel) for themselves and a guardian to the World Championships in Orlando Florida!!

Need more info: www.ptegames.com

Last edited:
I'm coming down for this GC at least, so i'll see all you guys again. I'm also bringing my 2 friends.

I Will try to go to the GC if I can just get myself out of bed. I didnt get to go to the State Champion cause of my Lazy A** out of bed, but team LA still win so it cool. I hope top8 is all team LA. :clap:

Team LA

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, why does there always have to be interference when I want to go to a Pokemon event?!?! My mom and dad are going to a wedding at 4 PM, but my dad can take me to the GC, though I have no way of getting home. UGH! Where is a teleporting Abra when you need one?....

I think we should do a 2/3 matchplay in the top 8, i am proposing this at all the events i am going to attend and i hope i can get some support! A lot of places are doing it already and california needs to follow in their footsteps.

Scizor said:
I'm coming down for this GC at least, so i'll see all you guys again. I'm also bringing my 2 friends.

You come, bring friends. Good news, good idea. Me, too. The usual vanload, I hope and maybe a new 10- guy!

Yah can someone contact Karl about 2/3? I really want it to happen and i see i am getting support. Anyway GJ at States Kim! I'll see you at the GC in a couple weeks.

Scizor said:
Yah can someone contact Karl about 2/3? I really want it to happen and i see i am getting support. Anyway GJ at States Kim! I'll see you at the GC in a couple weeks.

I support u on the idea. I think we should have best 2 out of 3 for top8.

Last edited:
Sorry Scizor, I strongly disagree. I think 2/3 is a bad idea. Not only would it drag the finals for such a long time but the person that actually wins will easily end up playing 15-19 games to win the Gym Challenge. That's insane.

People need to start designing their decks better if their so worried about having a bad start. Bad starts happen to everyone but decks need to be designed so that they can recover from a bad start. Two out of Three matches should not be forced upon a big tournament because people want to thin down their decks so much that i can not recover from a bad start.

The solution is Better Deck Design, not 2/3 matches.

Last edited:
So, your saying

Opening Quaza w/ no basics.

Blaze, Catty, Energy in your hand and drawing useless stuff means POOR DESIGN?

I don't think so.

I agree with truk, i had a lone quaza to start off my games about 5 times... 2/3 is good and needed i lost my states because of not having 2/3

yeah, a bex player can always recover form the scenario mentioned by TRUK, but it is hard, and Bex decks are definately NOT badly deisgned

-MuD

Decks with good design will win the 2/3, and it helps control the whole luck factor. When there are TRIPS and PAID HOTEL to WORLDS, I think that 2/3 would make the players very much happier. So what if people have play 15+ games in a tournament. Isn't that what everyone is there to do? To play pokemon? the more games, the better. Yeah, some parents might get a bit angry, but I think appeasing the players is more important than appeasing the adults.

But I'm not going to the CA Gym Challenges lol, though I'm glad that Memphis and St. Louis will be doing best 2/3 in t8.

I suggested top 8 for 2/3 not the WHOLE tourney. So that is obviously only what maybe 11 games? Losing to a bad hand is worse than losing to a good player, and i can tell you i've lost to a bad hand twice as much as i have lost to a good player AT LEAST and i'm sure most people would agree with me.

Okay people, there's already a topic about 2/3 matchplay over here:
http://pokegym.net/showthread.php?t=6247

If you want to try convincing the T.O. to run it as such, send him an e-mail at [email protected].

Now, let's get back on topic; this is supposed to be a roll call as to who's going to be attending the event.

Thanks for understanding,
- CHRISBO Administrator (and HJ of the upcoming L.A. Gym Challenge event too)

Last edited:
if we play best 2 out of 3 we should start the tourny at 10 regiser at 9 becuase that might take longer then usual in the top 8

Last edited:
As Chrisbo said a couple posts above this one, the 2/3 match play discussion is going on elsewhere. This thread is supposed to be a roll call for the LA Gym Challenge; please keep it on topic or we'll have to start deleting posts and/or lock the thread. Thank you for your cooperation...

'mom

Back