Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

LostGar~CurseGar's Comeback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancun

So I finally figured out a decent way to utilize Gengar Prime's ability to send cards into the Lost Zone, and surprisingly, it stacks well with the "obsolete" Cursegar from Arceus. Here's the proposed decklist.

Pokemon: 25
4-3-1-2-1 Gengar (1 Gengar AR, 2 Gengar Prime, 1 Gengar Lv.X)
4 Spiritomb AR
2-2-2 Vileplume UD
1 Uxie LA
1 Crobat G
1 Unown Q
1 Azelf LA

T/S/S: 25
4 BTS
3 Pokemon Collector
4 Bebe's Search
3 PONT
4 Looker's
4 Seeker
2 Twins
1 Palmer's

Energy: 10
7 :psychic:
3 Warp :colorless:

Strategy: Essentially, I looked at the Vilegar build, but I think people are ignoring just how crippling trainer lock is at face value, Stormfront Gengar not withstanding. When I remembered that Gengar AR's "Shadow Skip" sends it to the bench, I immediately recognized the usefulness of this in conjunction with Gengar Prime, as the knockout phase happens AFTER any other effects of attacks. Instantly, you realize that the opponent's Pokemon is KO'd after the effects of Shadow Skip, and thus, Lost-Zoned with the "Catastrophe" Poke-Body.

The reason for the maxed Seekers is because leaving Gengar Prime active will usually lead to it suffering some serious damage, but usually not enough for the KO because of its sheer bulk. Its free retreat makes it easy to Seeker back into your hand, then immediately evolve it back with BTS. This also makes it difficult for the opponent, because if they decide to Seeker something like an Uxie or an SP Pokemon, you can use that turn to Lost Zone it with "Hurl into Darkness".

I think this list shows the insane synergy that these two Gengars have, and I'm halfway tempted to ditch the Level X for a second Cursegar, but the extra bulk helps Cursegar Survive in the long run.

I hope this list helps people realize that there's a serious alternative to the Vilegar option, and while we may not have gotten Lost World, we can still cripple the opponent immensely with the new Gengar Prime.

Last edited:
I would definitely drop the X for consistency. If you prize your one CurseGar, you're kinda screwed. If you prize Azelf with it then you may as well scoop.

Great deck!

I would definitely drop the X for consistency. If you prize your one CurseGar, you're kinda screwed. If you prize Azelf with it then you may as well scoop.

Great deck!

The one glaring problem with this is that Dialga G Lv.X will ruin this deck because of Time Crystal. I agree with the consistency concern, but having both Azelf and Cursegar prized will nearly never happen, and even if it does, Gengar Prime should be able to hold its own while drawing prizes. If the rules would allow for one more Pokemon of the same name, I'd add another Cursegar in a heartbeat, but considering the fact that Dialga is becoming a more popular threat, if I can't Lost Zone it right before they play it, I need more chances to be rid of it with Level Down.

The bottom line is that you can't always fight bad luck, and players are usually tested in skill when such bad luck occurs.

Last edited:
Love the deck, makes me wanna build one :p

List sounds solid, and personally you should keep the X for as you mentioned Dialga G level X purposes, since you could also lookers to see if they got a power spray.

~ Try to make room for another Uxie as it will come in use.

i personally would prefer 3 bebe's and 3 twins over 4 bebe's and 2 twins as you will most likely be down in prizes for a few turns because of spiritomb start and cursegar takes awhile to set up. Look's very interesting tho :) Although I highly prefer 2 SF and 1 Prime instead since SF still has that fainting spell xD and Gengar not being able to hit over 60 does hurt a lot because before cursegar could do 80 with e belt. And Lv.X is vital for level down

i personally would prefer 3 bebe's and 3 twins over 4 bebe's and 2 twins as you will most likely be down in prizes for a few turns because of spiritomb start and cursegar takes awhile to set up. Look's very interesting tho :) Although I highly prefer 2 SF and 1 Prime instead since SF still has that fainting spell xD and Gengar not being able to hit over 60 does hurt a lot because before cursegar could do 80 with e belt. And Lv.X is vital for level down

Believe me, I would LOVE to have a few SF Gengars in the deck. But honestly, that really complicates and even takes away the whole process of Lost-Zoning many of your opponent's main threats. It will usually allow SP to Aaron's their Garchomps, it will allow Gyarados to utilize their Magikarps, etc. At the very least, Cursegar has that decent Power that will ensure my opponent's Pokemon aren't entirely safe on their bench.

I haven't yet practiced with the deck, so I'll let you know just how much, if at all, the damage threshold hurts.

Run 2-3 Rescue energy's.

They will help Gengar (AR) coming back and also making Gengar Prime back.

I've been using it and it has been helpful with no doubt.

Run 2-3 Rescue energy's.

They will help Gengar (AR) coming back and also making Gengar Prime back.

I've been using it and it has been helpful with no doubt.

You've been using this deck already? o_O Awkward for someone to be practicing it before the maker, XD

well why not just seeker your vileplume back and attach the expert belt then put back the vleplume on the field... send up gengar prime and send the uxie they just took to the lost zone. Then you proceed to your cursegar strategy dealing 80 dmg and having 130 hp.

The only problem I think this deck will have a lot of the time is Umbreon. I know that SP tends to tech it in to help their Vilegar matchups, and so it'll obviously help this matchup as well. I need a decent counter to it since it's sure to be run in smaller tournaments like Cities and States in my area...

True, and also, I would drop a few cards for rescue energy's.

If you have rescue energy's on your gengars it will make it almost never beatable unless damage counters are placed which is unlikely to happen frequently.

I played it at my league and had great success with it, beat a Magnizone/Yanmega/Crobat deck (weird), a FlyChamp and a Gengar C (Gengar SF and garchomp C with dialga G X) Along with Gyrados.

The thing that helped what that rescue energy's. Also I would take out a seeker, since 4 is too much and it is useful but in some case scenario it will be useless laying in your hand sometimes. Crobat G's are not good to run, considering it's a waste of bench and instead of that you could have your bench with gengar's and vileplumes ready, which is why I don't run it. Also since I don't have the need to use flash bite. Take out a BTS and a Lookers, (same explanation as seeker)

Alright, so I did a bit of playtesting with the build, and I've refined the decklist a little bit. Looking to improve on the matchups and consistency a bit better. I can't stress enough how much I love the synergy of these two Gengars, and their ONLY issue is the slight lack of damage. Here's what I have now. Please feel free to offer more advice.

Pokemon: 27
4-3-1-2-1 Gengar (1 Gengar AR, 2 Gengar Prime, 1 Gengar Lv.X)
4 Spiritomb AR
2-2-2 Vileplume UD
2 Uxie LA
1 Unown Q
1 Azelf LA
1-1 Lucario UL

T/S/S: 22
4 BTS
3 Pokemon Collector
3 Bebe's Search
1 Copycat
4 Looker's
4 Seeker
2 Twins
1 Palmer's

Energy: 11
7 :psychic:
2 Warp
2 Rescue

The Lucario UL is the tech for the Umbreon matchup. Counting weakness, Bulk Up hits Umbreon for 60 on the first turn, then 120 on the next for the KO, all with just a single colorless energy. In fact, even with MD Umbreon removing the weakness, Umbreon still falls to two Bulk Ups unless there is an Expert Belt, unlikely in the Trainer Lock matchup.

I'd rather prefer the Undaunted Gliscor, as Ninja Fang poses the same threat to Umbreon without the threat of being hit back (Umbreon will still rarely ever KO Lucario, but it will do a bit of damage), but I simply am way to tight on my build to change much to add the Fighting Energies or the Cyrus to grab them with. Looking for help on maxing the consistency of the deck while still loosening its belt a little bit.

Love the list.

I hate the 1-1 Lucario. Not only is it only for 1 match, but it doesn't even OHKO Umbreon. If you whack it once, they aren't going to just keep it up there, they'll kill Lucario with Uxie X, Drifblim, etc..

Machamp GL is only slightly better. Guaranteeing a OHKO for only colorless requirements.

Although I find it hard to believe there aren't any other Pokes without bodies or powers than can swing for 40 or 50 (keep Curse in mind) for only Colorless energies. Ideas?

Love the list.

I hate the 1-1 Lucario. Not only is it only for 1 match, but it doesn't even OHKO Umbreon. If you whack it once, they aren't going to just keep it up there, they'll kill Lucario with Uxie X, Drifblim, etc..

Machamp GL is only slightly better. Guaranteeing a OHKO for only colorless requirements.

Although I find it hard to believe there aren't any other Pokes without bodies or powers than can swing for 40 or 50 (keep Curse in mind) for only Colorless energies. Ideas?

I've been trying to find that answer myself. Machamp GL is a great choice if I wanted to keep it basic (which would be ideal), but then we have a whole new issue being that it takes three whole energy to get the attack off. Obviously, beggars can't be choosers, and since I only intend to use it for the Umbreon matchup, it's certainly an acceptable option. It's just that starting with it would be absolutely atrocious and scoop-worthy, but then again, people say the same thing about Unown Q. Toxicroak AR has the potential for a OHKO and uses Colorless Energy, but the problem is that the added damage effect requires Fighting Energy. I keep thinking that in order to have a decent Umbreon counter, space will have to be devoted to Fighting Energy and Cyrus, since it's useful for teched Energy.

I'm also trying to find a decent method of increasing my attack power, and people have suggested to me to use Expert Belt for Cursegar should I decide to Seeker the Vileplume for a turn. Hitting for 80 would certainly be preferable for a hit and run attack, ensuring more frequent KOs on opposing Pokemon, removing them with Catastrophe and keeping them from being a threat again. I just keep scratching my head as to how to make this deck as bulletproof as possible, but it really overextends the deck...

Last edited:
To be honest- I didn't notice the lack of Expert Belt. I think Expert Belt is a staple is CurseGar due to 80 being such a better number than 60... Of course then you have the Vileplume counter-production problem. Seeker it up and attach the Belt, then slam it back down, like you said. Otherwise attach it to Gastly early game while you "Pitch Dark" and hope your Gastly doesn't go down before it matures.

No call energy?
I find it hard to believe a gengar list with Call energy, that is what makes it as consistent as the other decks in the format, allowing you to bench a Gastly and oddish 1st turn in addition to the one's you already had benched. Also, Relicanth Sv works pretty well if the opponent has a BTS and pokeTool in play. Other than that there aren't many small techs you could put in that would completely ruin your consistency

Gliscor Ud answer's Umbreon pretty perfectly but alas, that is a 3 card tech

Uhmm yeah add in 1 or 2 expert belts in there its a must have. You have twins to search it out easily and twins can also grab you a seeker. What u could do for the umbreon matchup is either go for haunter sf or haunter tm, poison him if you used sf or go for sleep poison with haunter tm. If he is asleep well u get the knockout and if he wakes up then he will ohko you probably if he has a sp dark attached. Then all you do is just wait for poison to do its work and keep attacking with haunter tm with sneaky placement or gengar prime with cursed drop and curse the damage onto umbreon using cursegar. Other thing you could do is drop a gengar prime for a gengar sf and just snipe around umbreon, shadow room pixies and curse dmg onto them for easy knockouts and wait for fainting spell to get you the ko if your lucky. Imo the best counter is haunter since hes already in the deck and wont clunk up your list for other important matches

This might be crazy, but try these out for a couple games:

-1-1 Lucario
-1 Psychic Energy
-1 Broken Time-Space
-1 Looker's Investigation

+1 Relicanth SV
+2 Fighting Energy
+2 Expert Belt

If you're not too sure on Relicanth SV, since you would need tools to deal any sort of damage, going with Haunter TM would be an interesting idea since the deck isn't tuned to Poltergeist for heavy damage. In that case,

-1-1 Lucario
-1 Broken Time-Space
-1 Looker's Investigation
-1 Psychic Energy
-3 Haunter (whatever you were using)

+2 Expert Belt
+3 Call Energy
+3 Haunter TM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back