Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Lt. Surge's Secret Plan + Baby Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marriland

Alright, I've been dying to know this, because Lt. Surge's Secret Plan (LSSP) can rank right up there in complexity with Ditto.

If I have a face-down card (we'll say it's a Fire Energy) with LSSP, it gets Active somehow, and my opponent is going to attack it. Do I have to flip it immediately to see if it's a Baby Pokemon (which is Step A is the order of attacks)?

If so, and it isn't, do I immediately send out a Pokemon from my Bench to replace it with? And if the flipped card isn't a Basic Pokemon, and I send out a Baby Pokemon, would they then flip for the Baby Rule, because, unless I'm understanding the order of attacks wrong (big surprise there), wouldn't we still be in Step A?

Here are the two steps, in order:

A. If the Defending Pokémon is a Baby Pokémon, flip a coin to see if your turn ends without an attack. (If your turn ends without an attack, don't do any of the other steps. You're done now.)
B. Announce which attack your Active Pokémon is using. Make sure your Pokémon has enough Energy attached to it to use this attack.

So, I guess to simplify the question...

If my opponent attacks the face-down card, and it isn't a Basic Pokemon, would I still be able to send out, say, a Cleffa and have them flip for the Baby Rule?

Q. I attack the defending Pokemon which is upside down from being played by a Lt.Surge`s Secret Plan. Can I choose which attack I want to use after he flips the card over? If it was a Baby Pokemon (the upside down card) then you would need to know before you pick the attack. Correct?
A. If you are going to attack it, you would have to know what it is, but you would have already had to declare which attack you're going to use. So you have to say what attack you're planning to use. Then flip the card over. If it's a baby, then flip to see if you can attack. (Feb 22, 2001 WotC Chat, Q62)
and

Q. If a non-basic face-down card (via Lt. Surge's Secret Plan) becomes your "Active Pokémon", and your opponent's Jigglypuff attacks with Lullaby, you flip your card over and discard it. Is your new active Pokémon asleep?
A. No the next Pokémon would NOT be asleep. It is the attempting to place the Sleep affect that makes you flip the card over. So after disacrding it the next Pokémon comes up AFTER the affect has already fizzled. (Nov 30, 2000 WotC Chat, Q77)
So you flip it to see if it's a Baby and if it's not, the attack is against the LSSP'd card which then gets discarded.
The new Pokemon does not get made active until the attack resolves. (or fizzles).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back