Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Lucky #7: Nelson Water Gym

pokeMATHter

An early announcement this year:

When: Saturday, July 30, 2011
Swim: 1 to 3 or so
Tournament: 3:30 ish until we have a winner!
Where: The Nelson's Back Yard (PM for the address if you don't know it already.)
Cost: All money raised will be donated to the CASON TERJESON SCHOLARSHIP FUND. We suggest $2/player.
What to bring: Swimsuit, towel, deck, and some food to share.

Deck Format: 40 card Modified (MD on), no more than 3 cards of the same name (other than Basic Energy.) This year's restriction: All Pokemon must be water type, and your entire deck - Pokemon, trainers and special energy - must come from the same set. The only exception is that basic energy from any set can be used.

For example: If you choose Golduck from HS Triumphant, then all the rest of your water Pokemon must come from Triumphant, and you are restricted to using only the trainier, supporter and stadium cards printed in Triumphant (Alph Lithograph 4, Black Belt, Indigo Plateau, Junk Arm, Seeker and twins.)

Dual type Pokemon are allowed, so long as one of the types is Water.

Tournament Format: Age Modified Swiss, with a top cut. 20 minute rounds for Swiss. Best two of three games in an hour for the Single Elimination finals.

Prizes: We will have a trophy for first place in all three age divisions, plus the coveted Janice Cup.

We will have a potluck style dinner. Please bring something to share. I'll be grilling burgers and hot-dogs.

Yes, Black and White rules will be used.

Trainer card (item, supporter, stadium) reprints are OK. Just be prepared to prove that they were printed in the set you chose.

The jury is still deliberating on Pokemon reprints. Feel free to add your arguments in favor/against reprinted Pokemon.

Are you thinking Feraligatr HGSS #20 vs. Feraligatr CL #25?

^ I guess that is what Matt is wanting to ask. Like the reprinted Feraligater from HGSS and COL, I was thinking the same thing if we can use reprinted cards like interviewer's questions and Cheerleader's Cheer in a deck since they are both printed in COL and HGSS unleashed. For example: 2HGSS Feraligatr HGSS #20 and 1 Feraligatr CL #25

Last edited:
could we get an exception for bibarel and bidoof from SF since bidoof is colorless?
also same question for vaporeon/glaceon and eevee

if it becomes hs-on :mad: will the water gym be hs-on

---------- Post added 05/16/2011 at 11:05 AM ----------

when does registration start

could we get an exception for bibarel and bidoof from SF since bidoof is colorless?
also same question for vaporeon/glaceon and eevee

As in the past, no exceptions for colorless basic Pokemon.

if it becomes hs-on :mad: will the water gym be hs-on

---------- Post added 05/16/2011 at 11:05 AM ----------

when does registration start

This tournament is MD on. It is unsanctioned so I get to make up whatever rules I want.

Registration starts at 1 PM.

Last edited:
Yea, later that night after I posted I figured it out. Well the 1st two Legends were not dual type at least.

Legends would have been better if they were all like Lugia and Ho-oh, I did not like any of the others.

Last edited:
We are all really looking forward to this Saturday, like every year in the past it will be a blast.

Thanks everyone for a great time! Here's a HUGE THANKS to the Nelsons for always hosting this tournament and letting us play at their house! As usual, I had a great time seeing everyone and having fun! :)

Back