Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

LuxChomp opinions about mirror, donphan and gyarados here !

Hi all, I would like to hear some opinions for my questions about LuxChomp deck :

1.) What do U think that is the best possible techs against mirror except Ambipom G and Promocroak G ?

2.) What R U doing against anti-LuxChomp decks like Donphan etc if U dont play Dialga G Lv. X ?

3.) Do U think that LuxChomp needs to play some anti-Mewtwo Lv. X or stuff counter on current metagame ?

4.) What do U think about Gyarados matchup ? Do U think that is for LuxChomp favorable ?

Discuss & feel free !

My replies to the questions:

1. I think that Dialga G would help with Deafen stalling. Drifblim FB might work, because if you have Lucario GL in play you can pick off their Uxies/Azelfs/80-HP-or-under-Psychic-Weak Pokemon. I personally think that Ambipom and Promocroak work just fine, but Dialga and Drifblim are just two other possible techs.

2. Against Donphan, your best strategy is to use Crobat's Toxic Fang and then Dragon Rush the Donphan. It will die eventually, and you can heal yourself with Healing Breath before they OHKO you. It becomes a bit of a hassle if they Belt their Donphan so they OHKO you, or if they Guard their Donphan with Unown G. I'd Spray their Unown G; it becomes an easy target later in the game and you can use Poison to whittle down the Donphan.

3. That is a decision to make based on your metagame. If you see a lot of Cursegar in your metagame, I would run a Mewtwo counter. If I was going to Nationals, I would put in a Mewtwo counter of some sort.

4. I would say that it is LuxChomp favorable. You set up much faster than they do, and you can disrupt their setup by quickly Flash Impacting Sableyes and Spraying their Regi Moves. In addition, with a Flash Bite/Lucario GL/Flash Impact or a Lucario GL/Trash Bolt combo, you can OHKO a Gyarados. It's also a lot easier to get a 2nd Luxray GL up before they get another Gyarados out.

Last edited:
Ok, thx 4 ur reply, but :

1.) How often I would Deafen in mirror ? Is it really so good and game changing ?

2.) Yea, but if U spray their Guards, they can attah it next turn again, so point in this is to spray guard as long as i can ?

3.) Hmm I didnot see lot of gengars so i probably wouldnt play it, but if I am thinking about it, i can play Dialga like Mewtwo counter, possible tech against LxChomp and even against donphan to switch off its body ^^ yay

4.) ya,i also think that this matchup can be favorable but i heard some rumors from pros that if 2 good players play this matchup correctly, gdos win often thna luxchomp and this matchup is not so easy for lg so i really dunno what i have think about it :-/

My replies to the questions:

1. I think that Dialga G would help with Deafen stalling. Drifblim FB might work, because if you have Lucario GL in play you can pick off their Uxies/Azelfs/80-HP-or-under-Psychic-Weak Pokemon. I personally think that Ambipom and Promocroak work just fine, but Dialga and Drifblim are just two other possible techs.

2. Against Donphan, your best strategy is to use Crobat's Toxic Fang and then Dragon Rush the Donphan. It will die eventually, and you can heal yourself with Healing Breath before they OHKO you. It becomes a bit of a hassle if they Belt their Donphan so they OHKO you, or if they Guard their Donphan with Unown G. I'd Spray their Unown G; it becomes an easy target later in the game and you can use Poison to whittle down the Donphan.

3. That is a decision to make based on your metagame. If you see a lot of Cursegar in your metagame, I would run a Mewtwo counter. If I was going to Nationals, I would put in a Mewtwo counter of some sort.

4. I would say that it is LuxChomp favorable. You set up much faster than they do, and you can disrupt their setup by quickly Flash Impacting Sableyes and Spraying their Regi Moves. In addition, with a Flash Bite/Lucario GL/Flash Impact or a Lucario GL/Trash Bolt combo, you can OHKO a Gyarados. It's also a lot easier to get a 2nd Luxray GL up before they get another Gyarados out.

Just how much do you want to bet that it's easier to get a fully powered lux out faster than I can get a Gyarados out? That doesn't even make sense. I need 2 cards to get a Gyarados out, ready to go.

You need Luxray,

at least 1 turn to get Luxray lv.x (the basic is useless in this matchup for the most part),
1 Energy,
1 Energy Gain
or
another Energy,
the necessary cards to get luxray back from the discard/from your deck

Also, this is assuming that I don't run a donphan tech, which would set you back considerably farther.

Stop preaching your "Gyarados has an easy LuxChomp matchup" garbage. It's extremely close and can go either way. If Gyarados hits a couple of really early Reversals on your Luxrays LuxChomp is in trouble. Same deal if it sets up quickly/can get the Donphan when needed. If LuxChomp KO's Sableye T2 Gyarados is in trouble. With not a whole lot of time to setup against LuxChomp Gyarados has trouble stacking all the Rescues, SSUs, backup Gyarados that it needs. Donphan can be nice but it makes Gyarados overall less consistent as you then need Roseanne and Fighting and the spots for Donphan. If you KO a Luxray with Donphan then congratulations now I can snipe around with Garchomp to make you burn SSUs/Warps or just poison it via Toxicroak or Crobat G. As also mentioned Spraying Regi Move/locking Regice active is a great way to slow their setup and make them burn resources. A Luxray with Expert Belt is also very troublesome for Gyarados since it can't counter KO easily. You make it sound like Gyarados has practically an autowin which it doesn't by any means, yes Donphan helps if you can get it out at the correct time but there are ways to play around it.

1. While those are your two best options, Mewtwo works and even if they run a counter they often have to end the Cyrus chain to set it up. Dragonite FB is also a possible tech, as is Relicanth. Setting up faster than them can be just as effective as any of these techs however.
2. Definitely Quagsire GL. Not only can it be a target for Flash Impact, it can deal 60 to Donphan and switch so Donphan can't kill it. Even if they hit two Reversals to KO you, being SP, it's never farther than an Aaron away.
3. If you want to counter Mewtwo play Mewtwo yourself. The only exception is if you anticipate a lot of Shuppet with Dunsparce nonsense. Then play Dialga.
4. Despite what some people say, Luxchomp definitely has an advantage over Gyarados. If you must tech against it play the Let Loose Giratina. Gyarados is far from an autowin, but Luxchomp certainly has the edge.

I guess I shouldn't use my builds as a basis for arguments here... When will I ever learn? *face palm*

I give up. You're right, against your average, poorly built gyarados, luxchomp wins like every single time.

1) well it doesnt rly need a tech just keep 2 garchomp on bench, but if i wanted to use a tech prolly manectric

2) for donphan i use crobat g to toxic fang it and resist its EQ's and heal it off wif chomp

3)well depends on how the player feels but i would use banette cuz shuppet belt can kill promocroak g incase they killed your luxray
4)well depends call out luxray gl and lucario gl early and hope they dont get crucial flips on reversal
if you see regice hit the field bright look it up and snipe there bench and disrupt there hand if you run lookers/wager

Hi all, I would like to hear some opinions for my questions about LuxChomp deck :

1.) What do U think that is the best possible techs against mirror except Ambipom G and Promocroak G ?

2.) What R U doing against anti-LuxChomp decks like Donphan etc if U dont play Dialga G Lv. X ?

3.) Do U think that LuxChomp needs to play some anti-Mewtwo Lv. X or stuff counter on current metagame ?

4.) What do U think about Gyarados matchup ? Do U think that is for LuxChomp favorable ?

Discuss & feel free !

1. I am fairly sure those ARE the best techs for mirror.. Mewtwo Lv. X would work, but can be a pain to get out and powered

2. Crobat poisoning it helps and then use Garchomp to attack it for 80 for a KO. Overall it is a very hard matchup. You have to play EXTREMELY well and not make a lot of mistakes to be able to beat it consistently.

3. There are a few cards that can help, but it ends up hurting your consistency. I would decided if you think you are going to run into more than 1 deck that has a counter. If so, maybe a Stage 1 Psychic Pokemon would be good. I would go with Bronzong from MD or Espeon from MD above most other choices.

4. Here is where I differ from most people. Most players would say that Gyarados would have a non-favorable matchup against SP. I think the right lists have a VERY favorable matchup agianst SP. I played my list at States and went 7-2 against it. I never really had too much of an issue against it. I think that it really depends on how good the Gyarados player is. If they know what they are doing, it makes it a LOT harder of the LuxChomp player. I'd have to say that personally with my list that it is more in the neighborhood of 70/75-30/25 if you know what your doing and you have a really good list. If you don't know exactly what your doing, then it is more like 70-30 in favor of LuxChomp, which is why you see LuxChomp beating Gyarados a lot, because most players have bad lists and don't know how to really play the matchup.

Drew

1) They're the most popular, and best techs for the mirror.

2) Donphan is very difficult. A good Donphan player will not play down many cheap prizes and will only play down Donphan and maybe 1-2 prizes if needed. If they just keep to mainly Donphan's on the field poison them with Crobat G and hit them hard with Garchomp. That is the best way to deal with it, and Donphan can find it hard to KO a Crobat G.

3) Depends how popular you think it'll be. And if you think you can KO the basic Mewtwo. And of all things, if you want your deck to be more consistant or not. From what I've seen Honchkrow is the best option for Mewtwo and Gyarados.

4) It can be close but in my opinion Luxchomp has the edge. If the Gyarados can KO that Lucario GL quick then it can be very tricky. With Honchkrow it tends to secure this match up.

THX 4 all answers guys !

I think that Mew2 counter is not needed and about gdos vs LG matchup I have to agree with Deoxys777777, IMHO is little favorable to.

Back