Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

LuxChomp Opinions?

Blitzer

How does everyone think LuxChomp will do with Sabledonk in the format. I myself have considered LuxChomp for nats, but I am sorta worried about playing it in a meta of sabledonk.

Any thoughts?

IMO:

1.) Drop 6 cards
2.) Insert 4 Sableye
3.) Insert 2 Cyrus Initiative
4.) Decide if you want a Judge, and optionally consider a Junk Arm if you don't already play one since Sableye makes good fodder

Mesh it up with Sablock (maybe we can get some input from those that have experimented with "Loxchomp" as well). I wouldn't focus on a lock like Sablock very much, just change the deck enough to play 4 Sableye and put them to use. Realistically the only way you lose to Sableye donks in this way is if it goes to a coin flip and they win it.

I still think its a good play, but I haven't tested it or anything. Best thing to do would be to try it yourself.

Luxchomp will still be a solid play. You wont be facing Sabledonk every round, and against every other deck, your match up just gets better.

The sableye idea is pretty good, imo. But idk if you need to go that far for the threat of sabledonk. I woud just add in a few more high hp basic techs like dialga, roserade, weavile, blaziken, etc. It should still be safe to play a lc not teched out against the donk.

The sableye idea is pretty good, imo. But idk if you need to go that far for the threat of sabledonk. I woud just add in a few more high hp basic techs like dialga, roserade, weavile, blaziken, etc. It should still be safe to play a lc not teched out against the donk.

Playing 4 Sableye doesn't just protect you from the donk, it steals the first turn. With the rule changes, there is now zero disadvantage to going first. A T1 Collector, followed by an energy drop, followed by Impersonating for a Cyrus, Energy, and Power Spray could spell huge trouble for your opponent. In my opinion, 4 Sableye is a must in BW Luxchomp, and Call Energy just lost a ton of viability since you can't Impersonate AND Call T1.

@Evan baker but call energy puts the pokemon on the bench. Collector does not. Therefore if you want to avoid getting donked, wouldn't playing down 2 extra basics be better as opposed to getting 3 in your hand?

You could use Sableye a bit I guess. If you get the chance, attempt to get 3 SPs out then Impersonate Cyrus for a Spray and spray one of their Uxies.

Playing 4 Sableye doesn't just protect you from the donk, it steals the first turn. With the rule changes, there is now zero disadvantage to going first. A T1 Collector, followed by an energy drop, followed by Impersonating for a Cyrus, Energy, and Power Spray could spell huge trouble for your opponent. In my opinion, 4 Sableye is a must in BW Luxchomp, and Call Energy just lost a ton of viability since you can't Impersonate AND Call T1.

First off, playing 4 sableye doesn't protect you from the donk. It just decreases your chances. If there was a rule that said "if you have 4 sableye in your deck, sablelock is not allowed to beat you", it would be a good play. But making room for that many cards is pretty tough without sacrificing for every other matchup. Plus if you do steal the first turn with sableye, you still need a way to get more basics out that is already in your hand. It's already been said that you can't impersonated anything to your bench.

First off, playing 4 sableye doesn't protect you from the donk. It just decreases your chances. If there was a rule that said "if you have 4 sableye in your deck, sablelock is not allowed to beat you", it would be a good play. But making room for that many cards is pretty tough without sacrificing for every other matchup. Plus if you do steal the first turn with sableye, you still need a way to get more basics out that is already in your hand. It's already been said that you can't impersonated anything to your bench.

It protects you from the donk moreso than NOT playing 4 Sableye does. True, Impersonate doesn't bench any pokemon, but going first at least gives you the opportunity to bench something. If you're playing 4 Collector, a Bebe's or 2, a couple SP Radar, Communication, etc., you should be able to bench something. Also, it's pretty rare for an opponent to start with 3 SP and a Spray in their opening hand, so you're likely to be guaranteed a free Set Up with Uxie if you go first.

We can't view going first the same way that we did pre-BW because the new rules give ZERO disadvantage to the player going first. You get the first level up. You get the first attack. You get the first energy drop. You get the first shot at benching pokemon and setting up a T1 spray. You get the first shot at Impersonating into a Cyrus chain if you didn't have one in your opening hand. I guess I just don't see how this advantage isn't worth the 4 spaces.

I personally think the deck hit it's peak a while ago, and is starting to lose it's power over the format. I'm not sure it's even worth using anymore.

Back