Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Luxchomp - Rest of Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solemn_Party

Yeah, I know, it's Luxchomp. It shouldn't need help. Yet, it's consistently losing. Help?

Luxchomp: 20
3-1 Luxray GL Lv. X
2-2 Garchomp C Lv. X
2-1 Uxie Lv. X
1-1 Dialga G Lv. X
1 Crobat G
1 Bronzong G
1 Lucario GL
1 Toxicroak Q (Promocroak)
1 Azelf
1 Unown Q
1 Smeargle UD

T/S/S: 26
4 Cyrus's Conspiracy
3 Pokemon Collector
1 Aaron's Collection
2 Bebe's Search
4 Poke Turn
3 Power Spray
3 Energy Gain
3 SP Radar
2 Premier Ball
1 Junk Arm

Energy: 14
4 DCE
3 Call
2 Warp
3 Lighting
1 Psychic
1 Metal

Strategy: Disrupt with Luxray, snipe with Garchomp. Dialga G X is to shut off bodies. Bronzong manipulates energy on the board, Lucario makes weakness of all pokemon x2. Aaron's, Palmer's, and Premier Ball for recovery.

Last edited:
Run a 3-1 Garchomp line and a 2-1 Luxray line. Cut the warp energies, Palmer's and PONT. Add a 4th Call, 2nd Premier Ball, a Junk Arm, Twins, VS Seeker and Expert Belt. Should help you with consistency.

I just want to chime in and say I'd disagree with vader on running a 3-1 Garchomp line. Truthfully, that decision should be up to your metagame: with Gengar Prime likely being incredibly popular (or at least highly hyped), a 2-2 line could be the safer play.

I would have to disagree and say that a 3-1 Garchomp is a superior play nearly every single time. Even if LostGar makes a huge showing the first week of States (which i rather doubt), SP is still going to be the most-played, seeing as it's dominated for several seasons. In the SP mirror, a 3-1 Garchomp will beat a 2-2 Garchomp just about every time, barring a very bad start/dead draws for the 3-1 player. But again, this is my opinion: test the games for yourself and see which line you feel best works for your playstyle.

@Vadersnemesis: Yeah, but even if sp is the most popular deck, it doesn't mean that over 50% of the total decks will be sp. 2-2 is much better in every other matchup. I just play 2-2 with more colorless techs.

@solemn party: I would find room for an ambipom and a dragonite with a 2-2 line. If you decide to go to 3-1, I would still say at least find room for the dragonite. Possible cards to take out: 1 warp, 1 electric, PONT, palmers.

Card of interest for you;

Expert Belt- insanely handy for the snipe, and since you can poketurn up anything on your field with a few exception, you wont have to worry much about your opponent taking 2 prizes.

Twins-Very good in the mirror, and everything else, literally my favorite trainer at this point.

I really like. 2/1 Luxray style, 2/2 Chomp X is good.
Premier Ball is a good card, but I think it ruins consistancy with this deck. This deck is good for one reason only, its engine. It all corrolates with each other.

I also agree with Lotad with Ampiii and dragonite.

Most Luxchomp lists I've seen have switched to 3-1 Garchomp because of how popular SP has become. You should be aiming for around 4 Garchomp counters to have a decent shot against other SP decks. Going to 3-1 Garchomp and adding an Ambipom G or Dragonite FB would give you that.

Premier Ball is absolutely essential, especially when running 3-1 lines. It allows a second Uxie Lv X verus Machamp, and helps the deck to keep pace with matchups that revolve around revenge KOs like the mirror or against Gyarados.

Last edited:
I agree with Vegeta. Expert Belt helps get easier KOs, especially with Uxie X, and Twins can easily set you up to get DCEs, Cyrus or whatever you need. Consider trying it.

If you go a 3-1 route, then yes premier ball is a good play.

If you elect to go 2/2, then I would respectfully disagree.

Premier ball is not "essential" at all. I've been arguing with people a lot on LC posts about the 2-2/3-1 garchomp issue, but in a nutshell, here's how I view it: LC is the bdif right now. Having a 3-1 garchomp improves your matchup against all garchomp c decks. Having a 2-2 improves your matchup against all other decks in the format. Since garchomp c decks make up less than 50% of the decks you will see, the logical choice would be to play a 2-2. This is how I viewed it during cities. Now, with all the lostworld/possible rogue deck hype, I'm sure that 2-2 is the right play. Against a lostgar deck (or even a skilled vilegar), if they lost zone your 1 chomp x, your 3 basic garchomps become useless. Which means you can either sit them on your bench, taking up half your pokemon on the field, or you can let them be lostzoned. If you have a 2-2, you can use a list with more sp radars and less (or no) premier balls making it much easier to control your hand. 3-1 is just not right for our current format.

Personally I feel that by the time you get to Top Cut, there's a very high chance you play against SP decks. By running 2-2, it also forces you to find room for cards like Dragonite FB and Ambipom G which not only are pretty useless against non SP decks, but also require extra space which hurts those non-SP matchups. I feel Premier Ball is important for the Gyarados/Machamp matchups as well, plus Garchomp C is a great Pokemon to start with that can score donks pretty easily. I'm also not worried about Lostgar - with everyone so scared and teching against it, it seems like a suicidal play.

I can see why you guys might dislike 3-1 Garchomp though, I don't feel it's an easy desicion to make. I'm going to leave it here, so we don't fill up this thread with posts which don't relate to it.

I dislike when people say there is no room for this and that in an SP deck, the room is there, you just got realize what can be taken out. I believe one of the least important cards is a toss up between Energy Gain and Power Spray. Both are good, don't get me wrong, but are they needed that much? Nope!

I will say I run 2 of each though with MAX Poke turn and junk arms. I've even thrown in a Vs. Seeker.

Last edited:
What Vadersnemisis said in the first comment, this is exactly what I was going to say card- for -card!
^Spooky^ - I read it in an article by Chris Fulop

Also I think the reason that you have the lone metal Energy is to let Dialga G use 'Deafon'. Which also stops 'Lost World' late game...

^I think you need a 3-1 Garchomp C, it is far better and gives you a bigger range of option, also having the Premier ball is Essential I think....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back