Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Lv. X/Reprint Trade?

PokeFreakNikki

<~ Quick disclaimer: Sorry if this is the wrong place, I had no idea where to put it, and this seemed to be the most reasonable. If it is the wrong place, could a mod please move it? ^^' Thank you. ~>

I was planning on trading my SR reprint cards, and I was wondering about what I should ask for them.

I opened a case yesterday and got 12 Lv. Xs and 6 Reprints.

So, on one hand, the reprints are 2x as rare as the Xs. So I should ask for 2 Lv. Xs if anybody wants the reprint.

On the other hand, however, reprints are totally useless in play. So because of that, I should ask for 1 Lv. X, since they're (usually) really playable.

I'm not sure, and I'd like some advice on this. Thank you!

Personally i think that most people are not bothered about reprint cards, most people wouldn't even trade 1 lvX for a reprint unless they realy, realy wanted/needed it.

2 Reprints for 1 lvX is the way it usually goes. or 1 Reprint 1 Shiny for 1 lvX. Reprints/Shinys are worth about $10-$15 and lvXs are worth $15-$35, and playable.

You have to remember that there are a lot more different Lv X's than there are reprints.

In RR there are 9 X's and 3 Reprints. So if you are basing your ratio on 2 Lv X and 1 Reprint per box, you have a 1/3 chance of getting one specific reprint in a box, and a 2/9 chance of getting 1 certain Lv X you need.

Plus, the Lv X have way more playability.

In RR there are 9 X's and 3 Reprints. So if you are basing your ratio on 2 Lv X and 1 Reprint per box, you have a 1/3 chance of getting one specific reprint in a box, and a 2/9 chance of getting 1 certain Lv X you need.

So that means a fair ratio is 3 reprints for 2 LV.Xs.

I would say that, yes. According to math, yes. But more people want playable cards, not reprints. Which evens it out to 2 per Lv X. And even THEN some X's are worth more.

<~ Quick disclaimer: Sorry if this is the wrong place, I had no idea where to put it, and this seemed to be the most reasonable. If it is the wrong place, could a mod please move it? ^^' Thank you. ~>

I was planning on trading my SR reprint cards, and I was wondering about what I should ask for them.

I opened a case yesterday and got 12 Lv. Xs and 6 Reprints.

So, on one hand, the reprints are 2x as rare as the Xs. So I should ask for 2 Lv. Xs if anybody wants the reprint.

On the other hand, however, reprints are totally useless in play. So because of that, I should ask for 1 Lv. X, since they're (usually) really playable.

I'm not sure, and I'd like some advice on this. Thank you!

In a nutshell: Asking for a Lv. X is likely too much. But it will depend on the Lv. X you seek, and you probably won't get a glamorous one. At best a Lv. X tin promo for 1 secret rare reprint (SRR). Perhaps a couple holos, or maybe a few noteworthy Supporter/Special Energy, or another SRR, or IMO <$5.00 for most.

Now, in a detailed explaination as to why...here's my three cents on this topic with a splash of macroeconomics because this "MATH" can get quite complicated:

Value of secret rare reprints (SRR) are typically never as high as Lv. X's. There are many factors that affect this, but in macroeconomics it can be simplified as:

x1 = how many people are after the card
x2 = how many have the ability to buy the card
x3 = consumer preference
x4 = consumer expectation of future prices
x5 = prices of related cards (substitutes or compliments)

X-Factors (Opposites are -1):
+1 Many people are after the card.
+1 Many people don't have the ability to buy the card.
+1 Many people want to own this card. (This is an important one)
+1 Many people believe this card will be more valuable in the future.
+1 There is no replacement for this card. (This is an important one)

Now let's put this in context with secret rare reprints (SRR):
-1 Many people are not after SRR.
-1 Many people have the ability to buy SRR.
-1 Many people do not want to own this SRR. (This is an important one)
-1 Many people believe this SRR will be less valuable in the future.
-1 There is a replacement for this card. (This is an important one)

Use the same technique to judge many card classes: Tin Lv. X's vs. booster pack Lv. X's; SRR vs. Tin Lv. X's; Lv. X's vs. Lv. X's; and so forth. Why is Roseanne's Research higher than Bebe's Search? Why is Mewtwo Lv. X (LA) higher than Mewtwo Lv. X (Tin promo)? Why is SRR Charizard (SF) higher than SRR Pikachu (RR)? Odds are one of these X-factors shifted its value. Which thus leads to the conclusion that if you're planning to ask for Lv. X's, avoid those Lv. X's with positive X-factors. Personally, I'd find it amazing if you can trade most of your SRR for Lv. X's, unless it's a Charizard (SF) [because Charizard has so many positive X-factors].

Last edited:
Back