Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

M_Liesik's Professor Cup report

M_Liesik

Master Trainer<br><font color=green><i>Keeper of t
DISCLAIMER: Please forgive me if I forgot any details. I'm still exhausted from Origins (each member of POP worked close to 90 hours last week, ensuring that you all had a good time).

I’d been planning the Professor Cup for several months. I’d gone through several different ideas for prizes, formats, trophies, etc. before settling on the details that I announced back in March.

I had done some thinking about who I wanted my judges to be. Dave and I joked about having kids from the 10 and under group judge. When I got to Origins, I was approached by Chris Fulop about judging. From that point, everything sort of clicked. I had someone that knew the rules pretty darn well that I could set as the head judge. The prospect of having kids judge seemed much more reasonable. I recruited Taylor (Poké_Dad’s daughter), Anna (nfgcgrb’s daughter), and Andrew and Zak (meganium45’s oldest sons) to be my judges.

I knew that I would be playing, and had no plans of dropping if I made the cut. When people asked if I’d be dropping before the top cut, I answered with a resounding “NO!” I had no plans to pull punches. I was in it to win it. I would pass down the trophy and the prizes, but I had every intention of winning the event, if possible.

Friday morning, Professors started pouring in. A few people asked me how many people I thought would play. “I’d be shocked if we got 100,” was my reply. Well, with 96, I guess I was just shy of shocked ;). I had a quick meeting with my judges, telling them to have fun, and that if anyone gave them any grief, that they should immediately come get either Dave or myself. I then handed out Nationals Judge shirts, so that they would look official. The adult Medium shirts came to the knees of some of the kids. It was amazingly cute!

I kicked off the event by introducing the judges and making a few announcements. I emphasized that this event was in appreciation of the hard work of all Professors in the program, and that everything at the event was geared toward having fun. I also kept all of the prizes (except for the trophies) a secret. I figured, if you don’t know what you’re playing for, you’re less likely to take the event too seriously. ;)

Once packs were handed out, everyone got down to building their decks. Mine looked like this:

1 Deoxys ex
2 Spoink
1 Grumpig
3 Electrike
1 Minun
2 Baltoy
1 Illumise
1 Snorunt
2 Mudkip
2 Marshtomp
2 Kyogre
1 Luvdisc

2 Poké Nav
1 Double Full Heal
1 Professor Birch
1 Lanette’s Net Search

1 Double Rainbow Energy
3 Psychic
3 Lightning
8 Water

I pull an Altaria ex as well, but I have no Swablu. Oh well, I’ve got 4 more packs coming to me. I’m bound to get one…

R1 vs. Tim F
I drop a Marshtomp and a Grumpig on turn two, and proceed to wreck shop. A few turns later, I play four Basics to empty my hand of everything but one card. I then play the Birch left in my hand to draw 6 cards. Tim and I trade blows for a bit, and then he decides to switch to the “Heart of the Cards” dueling method. Alas, Pokémon is not Yu-Gi-Oh! so he fails to draw what he needs.
1-0

R2 vs. Andrea S
I start with a Kyogre, she starts with a Lighting Pokémon. I have no other Basics. Bad news for me. I Nav, and see another Kyogre and 2 energy. I take the Kyogre so that I have at least one Basic on the bench. I lose my first Kyogre, and bring up the second. I Scary Face like 3 times, flipping heads like a McDonalds employee flips burgers, meanwhile, I’m building up for the fat Hydro Pump. I Lanette’s and pull my Deoxys ex. I take a few prizes before Andrea brings up her Groovyle. I Hydro for 20, and, on my next turn, bring up Deoxys ex, and proceed to my win step.
2-0

After round two, we get a lunch break. I pay way too much for four pizzas, so that I can feed my crew. The pizza is terrible.

When everyone gets back, we get seated, and get 2 more booster packs. I forget my own format, and start replacing cards, forgetting that I now need to build a 50-card deck. My new deck looks like this:

1 Deoxys ex
3 Spoink
1 Grumpig
1 Duskull
3 Electrike
1 Manectric
1 Minun
3 Baltoy
1 Illumise
1 Snorunt
2 Mudkip
2 Marshtomp
2 Kyogre
2 Luvdisc

2 Poké Nav
1 Double Full Heal
1 Professor Birch
2 Lanette’s Net Search
1 Mr Stone’s Project

1 Double Rainbow Energy
1 Multi Energy
4 Psychic
4 Lightning
9 Water

That’s right, no Swablu. Oh well, 2 more packs…

R3 vs. Alan S
I start Kyogre vs. Lighting AGAIN. I have no basics on my bench AGAIN. Minun gets tails on the flip, so I dodge a T2 loss. I get out some more basics, and we trade prizes. Deoxys finally shows up, and I win. Alan has 1 prize left.
3-0

At this point, people begin to question me. “How much did you pay the judges to give you good packs?” I laugh, and threaten to strip people of their Professor status with a grin and a wink…

R4 vs. Jake B
Jake gets horribly energy starved. His Linoone misses a flip to Paralyze twice. It’s a terrible way to win.
4-0

So I know that I only need 1 more win to have a really good shot at the top 16. Meg45 starts stalking me, telling me that he’s taking me down…

We open our next packs. NO SWABLU!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

1 Deoxys ex
4 Spoink
1 Grumpig
2 Duskull
4 Electrike
2 Manectric
2 Minun
1 Pikachu
3 Baltoy
1 Illumise
1 Snorunt
3 Mudkip
2 Marshtomp
2 Kyogre
2 Luvdisc

2 Poké Nav
1 Double Full Heal
1 Professor Birch
2 Lanette’s Net Search
1 Mr Stone’s Project

1 Double Rainbow Energy
1 Multi Energy
4 Psychic
5 Lightning
11 Water

R5 vs. Vince K
I start Mudkip vs. Vince’s Numel. I flip and do 40. Vince Wally’s to get Camerupt ex. I flip and do 40. One more heads and I’m golden. Then the bad luck kicks in. No more heads. I manage to take out his Camerupt ex, and get taken out in return. I manage to stall the heck out of his Groudon with 2 Duskulls, doing 70 damage between the two. Vince’s Groudon manages to make me discard my Deoxys ex, which seems to have had a profound impact on most of my games. I fail to draw Energy that I need to win the game. Vince needs Fire Energy, but can’t seem to find any. I flip a tails on Kyogre’s Scary Face, and lose.
4-1

I realize at this point that I have far too many Basics, and not enough Energy. Oh well. Too late to do anything now…

R6 vs. Sean F
Sean and I both have solid starts. I find out (the hard way) throughout the course of the game that he’s pulled 3 Wally’s. We both play retreat games, but, ultimately, his evolutions wreck me.
4-2

I must win this last game to move on to the top 16…

R7 vs. Jeff R
The game starts out great for me. Then he gets out his Grumpig and proceeds to dance back and forth using Teleport Blast. I’ve got a fully powered Deoxys ex on my bench, just waiting to catch Grumpig up front, but it just never happens. I lose with 1 Prize left.
4-3

At this point, Taylor, Anna, Andrew, and Zak are all looking pretty pooped. I give them their judge compensation (a GBA SP, and a copy of Pokémon Emerald) and cut them loose. With the cut, there are plenty of qualified Professors to finish judging the event. The finals went very smoothly and were pretty exciting to watch.

All in all, I had a great time. It was really nice to be able to rub elbows with some of the folks that help ensure that Pokémon continues to grow. These are the guys and gals that helped us get 150-ish more players at Nationals this year. What makes me even more thrilled about the tournament is that none of the judges had to come to Dave or I because someone was giving them a hard time.

Props:
Fulop for acting as head judge, and escalating Dave’s drop to a DQ
Anna, Taylor, Zak, and Andrew for judging. They all looked so serious, and issued penalties where they felt it was appropriate.
Every Professor that played. You folks made this easily one of the best tournaments (Pokémon or otherwise) that I have ever played in.
Dave for agreeing to let me run such a crazy format without ever questioning me.
Vince, Mike, Kathy, and Clay for loaning me their kids to judge the event.
All my opponents for helping me have such a good time
Tymon for running the computer instead of playing.
Everyone that offered to give me a Swablu when I couldn’t pull one to save my life.
Everyone else that I forgot

Slops:
Swablu

Too bad you didn't make it to the playoffs. I got 5 wins but didn't make it either due to my low resistance. At least it was an excellent event. Great job getting this event done =D

PS: Was this the reason why you had a swablu on your Origins badge?

ShadowZangoose64 said:
Too bad you didn't make it to the playoffs. I got 5 wins but didn't make it either due to my low resistance. At least it was an excellent event. Great job getting this event done =D

PS: Was this the reason why you had a swablu on your Origins badge?

Ya, mewsmom gave it to me on Sunday.

GJ Mike I was goin for last place but mewsmom beat me :frown: by like .5% resistance. Owell maybe next time there is one.

~Mr. T~

Last edited:
Thanks for the report & the cool tourney. If the format is limited next year, mebbe we could draft the first 4 packs?

I enjoyed your choice of judges, through and through. Very tough group.

For example, Taylor comes up by my 5th or 6th round match and starts toying with a pen or something at the next place (by now empty). I see the Salamence tatoo on the back of her hand. I turn to her and hold out my hand and say, "Hey, I have one of those..."

Taylor then interjected sternly, "Concentrate on your match!" and I snapped my head back around.

Outstanding! I learned some technique there, I'll tell you! :wink:

M_Liesik said:
Props:
Everyone that offered to give me a Swablu when I couldn’t pull one to save my life.

Slops:
Swablu

You're a marked man now, pal. Looking forward to seeing how this thing with 'no Swablu' :eek: develops.

Last edited:
Glad to see you had a great time in the professor event, Mike!

It was nice to meet and talk to you on Sunday, and ESPECIALLY fun to watch the man with the plan (Schwimmer) cover up them boxes. Hope to see you @ worlds :D

Mike, thanks for maybe the most fun I had going 3-4 in a tournament! :rolleyes:
It really was a lot of fun, I look forward to next year when the only problem you will have will be how to top this years!BTW, did anyone else notice that we RULED the TCG hall pretty much all 4 days?
Mike, Team Rocket thanks you from the bottom of our black hearts for having this great FREE event for all the Profs! :thumb:
Rick

Last edited:
I always wondered how much you guys (PUI Staff) actually played. Now I know you share the same passion as we all do. Great to see there are real people behind the scenes.

So when you changing your avatar & Signature pokemon (do you even sign Pokemon cards) to a Swablu? :thumb:

Cya @ Worlds

Tormentedsoul14 said:
GJ Mike I was goin for last place but mewsmom beat me :frown: by like .5% resistance. Owell maybe next time there is one.

~Mr. T~

Had it not been for my 1 gawd hand all day (with my crappy Rainbow deck), I'm sure I would have ended up with the BUY. So my goal of 0-7 would have never been accomplished. Great minds think alike :biggrin:

I still think top cut should have consisted of Top 16 of the looser bracket- think that would have been the only thing to top the Worlds Invite surprise.

Mike L, I challenge you to a sealed game at Comicon. I help every year with demo so you know I will be there. You put your position at Nintendo on the line, and I will put my Dodge Viper on the line. Comicon 05, it's on!

Accept? =D

(Great job playing too, nice to have some talent behind the scenes.)

Mike, d00d...you KNOW you're going to get BURIED in Swablu at Worlds....:tongue: :lol:

Nice job! At one point I WAS 3-1...then crashed and burned terribly with the next four packs. It was hella fun though :D

You and Dave and Pete and Susan worked your tails off, making sure that both the players AND your staff had a great time...and you really took good care of your staff. It's a pleasure working for you all and I'm sure I'm not the only one who will say they're willing to do so anytime!

Rest up, and see you in a week or so at Comic-Con :D

'mom

Mike,
It was nice to meet you, and I think you guys made an excellent choice of Judges, all of them kept on until they were too burned out to go any more, and thay all took the honor very seriously and really didn't loose interest! Also, thanks for the unique draft deck with a custom beard and mustache placed on each Pokemon! We now have deck with custom artwork on each!
Anna was asking about judging this event ever since it was announced, thank you for selecting her. Vince let her judge finals (along with another judge) in the Memphis CC if she agreed to drop since she already had a couple of CC titles, and she loved it!

Last edited:
Susan's son was a real cutie and so quiet, not matter how much chaos was going on around him! Tap him for the Judge staff next year. :p

M_Liesik said:
Props:
Tymon for running the computer instead of playing.

You mean I could of played in the event, oh man :frown: :nonono:

Just kidding, the professor event for me was the funnest event at Nationals. Mostly becaues of your picks for judging staff, they did such a good job. :clap: Plus it was fun to see the tables turned on the Professors by your judging staff. :thumb:

Last edited:
forget to mention what happened EXACTLY when you opened your last packs? ;)
NOTE: i pulled registeel ex, and mike knew it.

mike: AUGH!!! *fist bangs on table* STILL NO SWABLU!!! THIS ALTARIA IS USELESS!!!
me: heh...hey mike, look what i got 7 of *holds up swablus and turns back around*
mike: oh look...my SECOND METAL ENERGY *holds up metal energies in my face*.
;)
great event mike. i hope to participate in next year's!!!!!!!

Back