Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Magilla Gojira

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shift

With many decks popping up at the forums featuring Otaku's Gojira strategy I got to thinking how Slaking could benefit said strategy, so I tweaked my Slaking/Ninjask deck and made this:

Magilla Gojira

4 slakoth (slack off)
3 vigoroth (slash)
3 slaking
4 natu
4 xatu
4 dunsparce

4 oak's research
3 tv reporter
3 oracle
3 rare candy
3 warp point
3 switch
2 fisherman

11 psy
4 boost
2 warp energy

Strategy is pretty simple, Slaking being the main attacker and Xatu providing mass healing. With switches, warps and warp points, hopefully Slaking could be doing 100 damage every turn.

I was wondering if I had too much switching cards, could I drop a warp or switch maybe? And does the "too much switching cards" term apply to Slaking decks?

Points to whoever guessed that this was named after the Magilla Gorilla cartoons. :D

Last edited:
Hey your deck looks pretty good. I use the Sandstorm Slakoth cause it does 10 instead of 20 for a flip. Just a personal preference. Also, you may want to consider Memory berry, but if you use that then make sure you use the rage Vigoroth and slack off Slakoth. And use a couple Buffer Piece if you decide to take out any switches.

Other then that, I think your deck can be really good. I had a Slaking deck in which I used Blaziken, AQ Espy, and Warp energies so I could do 100 every turn. The bad thing was some games I'd get a horrible start and have no chance to win. I like your deck because it's simpler. I'm not sure if Xatu is the greatest choice, but it's a free retreater and that's all that really matters. Maybe there is something better that has free retreat, but I don't know. Maybe just use Marrills and Magneton to get energies back? Either way, good luck with this deck, and let us know how it does. If it works, maybe I'll give one last shot at a Slaking deck for the last CC in March.

Hey plaid:

Thanks for the kind words. I have seen your Slaking/Blaziken/Espeon deck and thought it was quite good, if you got a nice set up, hard to stop indeed.

Anyways about the fixes, for one, I could go with SS Slakoths, because it is meant to evovle anyway, so the attacks aren't that important. I'll think about it.

I considered Memory Berries, but at the time I had in mind "Memory/Slack Off" to heal Slaking so it could last even longer, but that changed when I added Xatu. About the Vigoroths, I will consider them, they can work well with enough damage and with Memory Berry. I dunno, I will test it out.

Thanks again for the kind words and fixes. And good luck at your CC's. (If you do use Slaking, tell us how it worked out for you.)

Edit: Had to Remove 3 Prof. Elm's Training Method and a psy energy, I was going 4 cards overboard.

Last edited:
Shift said:
Hey plaid:

Thanks for the kind words. I have seen your Slaking/Blaziken/Espeon deck and thought it was quite good, if you got a nice set up, hard to stop indeed.

Anyways about the fixes, for one, I could go with SS Slakoths, because it is meant to evovle anyway, so the attacks aren't that important. I'll think about it.

I considered Memory Berries, but at the time I had in mind "Memory/Slack Off" to heal Slaking so it could last even longer, but that changed when I added Xatu. About the Vigoroths, I will consider them, they can work well with enough damage and with Memory Berry. I dunno, I will test it out.

Thanks again for the kind words and fixes. And good luck at your CC's. (If you do use Slaking, tell us how it worked out for you.)

Edit: Had to Remove 3 Prof. Elm's Training Method and a psy energy, I was going 4 cards overboard.

You have four dunsparce, so four slakoth isn't necessary. Drop one and add a TV. Great deck! Keep up the good work!

SuperWooper said:
You have four dunsparce, so four slakoth isn't necessary. Drop one and add a TV. Great deck! Keep up the good work!

Do you mean another TV Reporter or Town Volunteers?

4 Slakoth is neccessary, it gives you a better chance to draw one in your opening hand and start powering it up. You need elm's training method. Oracle is too slow, so try to get a few back in. Also, Birch is better than TV Reporter in Slaking decks.

In the CC, my deck sucked. I got horrible starts 4 games, a decent start 1 game, and an awesome start 1 game. So I ended up 3-2-1, though I should have ended up with a worse record. I got pretty unlucky, but I figured that my deck was too complicated and it wasn't consistent enough, so I scrapped it.

I agree about the 4 Slakoth, even though I can get them with Sparce, but still.

I'll try to fit in at least 2 Elm's, but what could I take out?

- 1 boost
- 1 oak's research
+ 2 elm's training method

Or just drop the Oracles and replace them with the Elm's?

Plaid: Sucks that your deck did bad at your CCs (not that bad for a deck that "isn't competitive" as other would say). It really is a good strategy, but I can see that it can be pretty complicated to run and hard to set up.

Last edited:
After a cursory exmination, here is some general advice on what has usually worked for me:

1. Don't go overboard on your main attacker; it isn't as important in these decks. you could probably risk running 3-3-3 if you cared to (that doesn't include rare candies). However, that is not 100% guaranteed.

2. Use Oracle if you really need to worry about Special Energies-if not, probably go with PETM.

3. You need a back up hitter. Since Slaking is weak to Fighting, go with SS Wobbuffet for sure. If you could make room, a Wuicune or two could also help. The Ffet is most important though, as it serves as cleaner, Pokemon ex counter, etc.

4. Four Dunsparce is an overkill-drop it to 2 or 3, depending on what works.

Deck specific comments:

1. Less Boost. Its good, but its mainly for a quick recovery/early start. 2 would be fine. maybe add another warp or basic Energy.

2. Just mentioning adding Ffet in again.

Oh, and two fun facts. First, the original Gojira deck used Expedition Tyranitar, Aquapolis Esepon, Potion/Warp Energy, and Healing Fields in neon modified. Second, I too wanted to do a slaking version-please keep us Posted on its progres. ;)

You don't need Wobby, no one uses fighting pokemon. And if they do, they are ones weak to either water or grass (golem and armaldo). Besides, would you rather power up Wobby or a Slaking? Also, you need to run 4 boost, they are just soooo good. They are nice if one of your Slakings gets knocked out, so then you can do a quick 100. They really surprise your opponent, which is good. Use 4. Keep with 4 Sparce, they are just too good to start out with. And they are nice stallers too. To get the 3 Elm's Method in, take out 1 Psychic and maybe 1 Oracle and TV Reporter. I think I'll try to make a version of this deck myself, just so that all those Slakings, Boost Energies, and Rare Candies I traded for don't go to waste!

At my local store where I play, most people I talked to about the deck thought it was a pretty good strategy, so that's good, since they are good players who also want to play Slaking as well.

Otaku: I have tried Wobbuffets with my Ninjask version, worked pretty good as a cleaner, anti ex and everything. Haven't tried it in this version, since I wanted the deck to focus solely on Slaking for attacking, but it's probably a good idea. Though plaid is right, no one plays with fighting pokes in my area (except Mewstar, but his pokémon is neither ex or psy weak).

I agree with plaid about the 4 sparce, have better chances of starting with it and it is a pretty decent staller. I can go with 3 boosts, I put in 4 because I wanted to add some "speed" to Slaking, but 3 might work fine.

About the Oracles and Training Methods, I should keep at least 2 oracle to fecth those warps and other switching cards (and boost).

So I could go:

- 1 Oracle
- 1 Boost
+ 2 Elm's Training

Thanks everyone for the fixes and comments so far. If you do have any more of those, feel free to keep them coming.

Last edited:
I stand by my suggestions, but I confess to not having played as or against Slaking, so its all just theiry. Good Luck. :)

Heh, I understand, Otaku. Most of the deck is just theory as I haven't tested it yet (still need a few cards). However, I have played with my Slaking/Ninjask deck a lot and pretty much got figured out how Slaking works/can work. I'll try to test this deck next Saturday (if Mewstar can lend me his Xatus).

Anyhow, here is the current deck list:

4 slakoth
3 vigoroth
3 slaking
4 natu
4 xatu
4 dunsparce

4 oak's research
3 tv reporter
2 oracle
2 prof. elm's training method
3 rare candy
3 warp point
3 switch
2 fisherman

11 psy
3 boost
2 warp

Not much change, added 2 PETM, took out an Oracle and a Boost, that's pretty much it. And I'll try to fit in at least 2 Wobbs Otaku (since you know more about Gojira decks than me, so I will highly consider a few of your suggestions).

I was thinking taking out one Slakoth and a Sparce (would be a tough choice to take one out, I just love starting with Sparce) and adding 2 Wobbs.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump the thread but, yeah:

I'm ready to start testing the deck out, so if anyone wants to battle over Apprentice, you can PM (either through the boards or AIM/MSN) me and we'll battle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back