Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

magmar EX vs. dustox?

BANGINBOX

o.k this issue came up during a game at last weeks league. my opponent had a dustox active and i tried to use smokescreen with magmar EX. my question is, does my opponent have to flip to attack me during his next turn ? what does dustox pokepower actually stop? i thought it only stopped STATUS effects. to my understanding it is very similar to the suicune vs. cleffa ruling. is this correct?

jimmy

This is very similar to Suicune, to the best of my understanding. Smokescreen's effect is 10 damage plus the possibly not being able to attack next turn. This effect lands on Dustox. Dustox's Poke-Body should block the Smokescreen effect, but would still allow the 10 damage past.

Since Suicune blocked all effects, I'd imagine Dustox does also, due to the similar wording.

As I understand it, anything done TO DUSTOX is prevented. This includes the placing of an effect like Smokescreen. But I could be wrong.

Dustox's power allows damage do be done to it, but it prevents Special Conditions and just about any other effect of an attack used on it.

So, Magmar's attack will do 10 damage to Dustox, but you won't have to flip to attack, since that is an effect of the attack and is cancelled out by Dustox's power. Yep.

Last edited:
Basically, a Power like Dustox's or Suicune's prevents all effects of attacks except damage and anything that is not removed when that Pokemon is Benched/Evolved, such as Special Conditions. There are a couple of minor exceptions (Char counters, for example), but that's the basic idea, and there's even a pattern to the exceptions -- all of them are removed if the Pokemon leaves play.

Well actually if you use something like agility you would get by Dustox's power because it would be an effect on the attacking pokemon rather than on Dustox.

Back