Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Magnezone Prime: Post rotation

fawfulgengar

First, I wanna say to be on the safe side that the next rotation will be RR-on, or maybe PL-on. I highly doubt the SF 'zones are gonna be seen in modified decks again, similar to Regirock LA. Regirock is easily the best card RIGHT NOW to partner with Magnezone Prime; it's basic, gives extra type coverage, brilliant synergy in 'power. But we're assuming that next rotation it's GONE. I've been looking around through some of the sets I don't know as well: Arceus, B&W, Supreme Victors. I found very little that could be of use in those 3. The cards I'm about to list are by no means at all good, but here me out. First is Tangrowth X. First off, it's a stage 1 Lv.X with OK HP, nasty RC, a reasonable weakness and OK resistance. Its power simply lets you flip once a turn to heal 4 damage. Not terrible, but it's here for its attack: Big Growth. For :grass:, it can search out and attach any number of grass energy from the discard. It's OK, but you need to get them there first, saving one to actually use the attack. Also, it is an attack, so you'd better pack some way of switching it out, or bracing for it to get smashed for a prize loss. Since warp point is definetely gonna be rotated, I'm not sure how I'll do this. That hurts the idea of using Tangrowth a lot. Next is Steelix GL. This guy is a steel-type basic with a whopping 110 HP, but a terrible 4 RC. Its mend attack, for 1 DCE, lets you search your discard for 1 steel energy and put it onto him, while healing him by 1 damage. This is worse that Tangrowth in every way, except that it's basic. Still, I don't like the idea of using Steelix at all. Finally is Pikachu B/W. It's got OK hp for a basic, an awful :fighting: weakness, and 1 RC. Its use would be its first attack, electrify. This lets you do the same thing as Steelix's mend, without the healing and for 1 less energy. However, Pikachu has only 1 RC, so it's easier to take out of the way. The problem is that out of these 3, Tangrowth is the only one who can fetch energy at a decent rate.
Anyways, that aside, we move to an option that I'd known about long before today: Pachirisu COL. This baby's stats are just like pikachu's, but with a -20 resist tov :metal:. Its 'power, self-generation, lets you put :lightning::lightning: onto it if you bench it from your hand. That's better than Pikachu and Steelix's attacks because you get to play another energy without having to leave Pachi in the line of fire. A big difference between Pachi and the aforementioned 3 Pokemon is that Pachi gets his energy straight from the hand, which I like. Anyways, I've got the 3 'Zone Primes for the deck, as well as 2 Pachis. I just want a few more opinions.

Since warp point is definetely gonna be rotated, I'm not sure how I'll do this.

LOL
switch?

And on a more serious note, Pachi is definetly your best option. It accelerates the energy with a power instead of an attack which makes it undoubtedly better than your other three options.

Thanks. That is basically what I surmised. I might run 3-2-3 Zone and 4 Pachi for the core of the deck, what do you think?

since your looking at energy accel options for magnezone prime assuming for its attack, a couple you should also consider are feraligatr prime and Emboar (b/w though that version may not be in the april set) which let you attach water and fire from your hand. theres also ampharos non-prime steelix prime and skarmory that can get energy from deck or discard as their attack

I've considered both 'Gatr and Emboar, but the fact that they're stage 2 makes them lose some appeal. I was all over ampharos HGSS until I realized that was a stage 2 as well. I'd rather not have to throw in DCE's for steelix, and Skarmory just can't get the energy out fast enough. Thinking back though, MagneBoar might work. I could get the deck to function faster with the right T/S/S (although BTS will most likely be rotated out), but it still might be too slow. What do you think?

Electrode Prime is another serious option to consider, especially because it allows you to abuse Twins early in the game. I don't know how effective it will be without Broken Time-Space, though.

I love Tangrowth X. this Seems like a very good strat. I could see this becoming popular.

have you considered Engineer's Adjustments? It let's you get Energy into the discard pile for Tangy, and let's you draw a res[ectable 4 cards. Agreeing also that Switch is a good idea.

If it's RR-on...

4-3-4 zone
3 Pachirisu
4 Tomb

4 collector
3 bebe
3 candy
4 judge
4 Seeker
2 switch
3 catcher
2 PONT