Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Masters Top 2 Report, Costa Mesa CA

Forte

So I was debating whether to play my Tankgrowth deck or not but I decided not to because of all the cards that can snipe the bench or bring up a benched Pokemon active

Round 1 - Karissa T. w/ Luxchomp
Was a pretty standard Luxchomp Mirror Match (Colorless Prevails) but with a twist. I started Ambipom G to her Weavile G and had an SP radar and Poketurn. I was going first and I tried for the donk by drawing a collector Uxie and other cards, but did not end up getting it. I attached Call Energy and I looked at my top card and saw the donk was very far from happening.

She used Weavile G's Call for Family to get out some Garchomps. I took a prize with Double Flash Bites from my failed Donk and Snap Attack for a KO. She was able to get a Cyrus, use them to start KO'ing pokemon but I just focused on Revenge Killing. At one point I Dragon Rush'd an Uxie with a Q instead of a Garchomp, to ensure my Toxicroak wasn't going to be KO'd. When I lost my garchomp and ambipom, I used BrightLook to bring up a her Luxray to Poison Revenge it.

One thing that really swung the game in my favor was after she KO'd my Ambipom G with Dragonite FB's Mach blow, she had put 30 damage on it from flash Impact and I think I Spray'd the healing breath but it was still there, I was able to flashbite and Flash Impact it. It had two lighting energy and an E-GAIN and just really help slow down the energy.

One funny thing was I drew NO DOUBLE COLORLESS the whole game. Until the very end I needed a DCE to Zen Blade her Bronzong G that I brought up, and I had to lookers my whole hand in attempt to draw a DCE. It ended up being my 5th Card.

In return, she never used a spray that game. Intense!

1-0

Round 2 - Rudy C. w/ Chenlock
I had the donk in my hand starting Two DCE, SP Radar, Cyrus Con, Ambipom G, and some other basic sp. We rolled and I got to go first but he flips over the sableye! He initiatives for 1/2 and put smy Cyrus Consprir out of the way but I ended up playing around the lock because I run Chatot MD in my deck <3. He never took a prize.

2-0

Round 3 - Will D. w/ Reshiram/Emboar

When I go undefeated, I usually lose round 3. It was a very slow match for me and I had some bad draws. In the end, I did some Looker's Investigation Shenanigans to slow him down. My strategy was to basically keep bringing out emboar and knocking it out so inferno fandango would slow down Reshiram's Energy requirements. It came down to time and he ended up getting a perfect RDL ozone blaster thing.

2-1

Round 4 - Manny H. w/ Charizard

I did not have Diagla G lvX but I was feeling kind of scared. It was his first tournament and I got paired down. I took plenty of early prizes via Bright look/Flash Impact/Dragon Rush lost my momentum when Charizards and Typhlosion came out. I ended up just taking prizes until I won o.o

3-1

Round 5 - Joe H. w/ Super Sablelock

I survived his donk! But It had tons of interesting cards like Solrock/Lunatone Spiritomb. It weirded it me out but he messed around we had fun

4-1

Top 4
Will D. w/ Reshiram/Emboar

Round 1- I destroy him and his set up with tons of power sprays and just controlling he field

1-0

Round 2- He started unown Q but chose to go first and used some collectors to get his field up.

1-1

Round 3-
Was close, But I specifically saved my dragon rushes for tepigs. I was able to snipe one, but he held a whole line in his hand with BTS and was able to lay it down. I just played really conservative, at 1 point I mimic'd for 9 Cards and was able to ride that hand to victory. I started to slow down at the end, but it was just enough to get me that last prize. (I had to pick up an Lux X on bench with E gain and lightning) I put down a garchomp C in it's place and I Passed, so he couldn't outrage for much. i dragon rush'd for my last prize.

2-1

Top 2
John S. w/ Donphan Nidoqueen
1- I don't remember this one but as I started to catch up in prizes, he pulled out a plus power or something.
0-1

2- I ended up just spraying everything correctly, taking out his first donphan via DOUBLE dragon rush and just kept field control to the maximum.

1-1
3- He had such and amazing hand, had a belted donphan and another benched with a nidorina on his bench. T2 he got his Nidoqueen out and was just to hard to come back from a prize deficit that hard. GG

1-2

Conclusion:
Thank you for everyone who supported me! I still have alot of faith in the pokemon community, people are really nice, fun to hang out with, and just over all these events.

Things I've Learned:
After a poison revenge on Reshiram, an Outrage will Kill you.
Bright look something retreat cost heavy, and THEN dragon rush the Resh with 5 counters on it.

Donphan hurts =[

Tired when I wrote this, thanks for reading

Back