Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

/me glares at Holon's Magnemite

Bobby

After loads of testing with everyone on the face of the earth, I decided that MMS is definately the play. I had favorable matchups against Infernape, Banette, Metanite, Shiftry, Spread, pretty much everything and I was more than willing to take an iffy R-gon matchup. Garrett was convinced that Flariados was the best choice, and Zach told me to just play banette. I don't regret my deck choice at all since if I had just kept the luck a little longer I could have taken it. Anyway, here's the report.

My list:

Pokemon (26):
4 Beldum
2 Metang
3 Metagross
3 Chikorita
1 Bayleef
3 Meganium d
1 Meganium UF
1 Treecko
1 Sceptile ex
2 Mew d
1 Mew* d
1 Holon's Magnemite
4 Holon's Castform

Trainers (23):
4 Holon Transceiver
3 Holon Mentor
2 Holon Researcher
1 Holon Adventurer
1 Holon Scientist
1 Holon Farmer
4 Rare Candy
3 Windstorm
3 PlusPower
1 Strength Charm

Energy (10):
4 Metal Energy (SP)
6 Psychic Energy

Round 1 vs. Kevin White (4 Corners)
This deck was pretty crazy. I open with two beldum, magnemite, and Mew d, but no mentor, so I opt to start with Mew. He mulligans and I draw the mentor. Nice. He flips over a Snorunt and we sit there doing nothing to each other. I take the first prize by knocking out Glalie EM with its own attack. He returns the KO with a scramble Grumpig CG and benched a bunch of Pikachus. He never got the Raichu out. I swarmed with Delta Reduction and Link Blast for type matching and although it was a much closer game than it needed to be because of my start, I still pulled out the win. GG
1-0

Round 2 vs. Pier (Flygon/Nidoqueen)
I got a nice start with Delta Draw and like five basics turn 1. He has Mew d start so he gets four cards from his DD. He hits a nice scientist and catches up, but I pull a lot of candy for once and go to town with Evolutionary Call and start going aggro with Meg. He had trouble getting a Queen down, and when he did I could keep up with his attacks. Sceptile slowed down Flygon ex and he didn't see my pluspowers coming. I win. GG
2-0

Round 3 vs. Steffen (Flygon ex LM/Nidoqueen/Magcargo)
Well, I thought this deck was a little odd when he mentored for Trapinch, Slugma, and Nidoran. I get another four basic delta draw and have turn 2 meganium for the castform KO. I take around 4 prizes with aggro delta reduction before he starts to set up. Of course, I have sceptile by the time he sees anything so his power is useless. He hits me with some Queens and takes a prize or two but I pretty much just win. GG
3-0

Round 4 vs. Tomas (Flygon ex LM/Delcatty)
Going into this game I know it's gonna be dumb. I get out sceptile like turn 2 or 3 before he can lay a gon and kind of cripple them. The problem is I don't really have anything to attack with short of dumping 5 energy on a copy pokemon. So I decided to throw a load of pluspowers on things, keeping sure not waste them all and get just enough damage. 150 was a TON of HP and this is when it became clear that Latios* was so obviously the play. I hit with Sceptiles, Metagrosses, etc. I tried to grab a KO with Meganium UF but I couldn't get the 2nd metagross I needed off a 5 card scientist. The game came to time and it ran out on his turn while we were tied. He hits Sceptile for 70 with the first attack. He warp points, hoping I'd send up something vunerable to the first attack, but I see his plan and send up a clean 110 HP Meganium. He benches Ray ex and said if he had gotten it before the warp that he could have won, although we were tied so I'm not sure how since I could Mew* copy and snipe. Regardless, GG
4-0

Round 5 vs. Keaton Gill (Lucario/Eeveelutions)
I know what he's playing and I conveniently start with Chikorita. He started with Absol. I had the pluspower and candy. GG :(
5-0

Round 6 vs. Akira M (Speed Empoleon)
Well, I know this matchup should be easy for me, but it didn't work out so well. I have a pretty decent delta draw start but my prizes are HORRID, including Chikoritas. Latios* would have made this so easy, but eh. I swarm Delta Reduction early and once again whiff on a 7 card scientist when needing to attack with Meganium UF. Eventually I can't counter the cess and just get killed. I maybe had a chance if he missed the last Aqua Jet flip, but it hit and sunk my other metagross. GG
5-1

Top 16 vs. Geoffry S. (Flariados)
Game 1: I like this matchup a LOT... when I get a good start. I think I actually did Delta Draw at some point but I know I didn't start with it. He had eevee start so I was expecting a T2 Flame Screen but he didn't have the flareon. I used copy mew to call for family and start setting things up. He has to discard a copycat to mentor and then I get the swarm going. I got lucky (ish) on a link blast confusion flip, albeit I missed all the other flips, and got me back into the game. Once all his spiders were gone I dropped Sceptile and rickrolled a Jolteon. He expected to win with a heat tackle KO on Metagross, but I return his favor with a double pluspower flame screem from Mew* FTW.

Game 2: Draws hand... Holon's Magnemite. I believe I also drew a Chikorita in the hand/soon after. I have lots of energy cards and 2 Meganium d. I was really hoping metal + grass resistance would buy me some time at least, but he had Jolt, Scoop, Heads, Jolt, and I missed both sleep checks. He then Spider Traps Chikorita for some reason and then kills it. Immediately after I draw the rare candy ~_~ *** ugh. I get rickrolled.

Game 3: Similar to game 2! I started with some bad pokemon, er no, I started with Castform and Beldum actually. No mentor. I delta drew for 1 or 2 I think twice before I had a Flareon ex killing me. I got a mentor, while I have in my hand stuff I can actually use if I draw a candy. I eventually do. I make it a game until the end where I play a candy and accidentally play the wrong pokemon, and I can't take it back. I don't think it would have been game winning because of my horrid draw, but still, it sucks to think I lost on a misplay. Talk about a confidence killer. Oh well, GG geoffrey.

Last edited:
You did what ya could man. LUCK is a terrible thing sometimes. =(
BUT! Great job. You'll do very good next year, I know ya will.

gj bobby. sceptile ex d was really the best play for the format :D
i would have won vs Steffen F (played flygon ex lm) if my treecko d wasnt prized....

GJ Bobby. Sorry aboput what happened in Top 16. I'm happy you've at least played at worlds, which made up the fact that you came in 33rd. Either way, i was rooting for you. GL next season!

-Peter

GJ BOBBY, THE CAPS WERE INDEED WITH YOU

WHERE IS MY PART IN PROPS? YOU SAID BEFORE YOU LEFT THAT I WILL GET A SPOT.

PenguinMaster said:
(Although seriously, the ash turning to stone part in pokemon the first movie WAS sad, OK?!)

YES THIS PART WAS SaD, I REMEMBER WHEN I SAW THIS MOVIE WHEN I WAS 10, I CRIED. YES EVERYONE A**CAPS CRIED

GJ on the 16. Wish it could of been better but bad luck hit the entire continent of North America.

My round 3 sour grapes will be with me for quite a while.

We all headed down to the free play area where Steve and I OBVIOUSLY broke the format with Old Rod in MMs. Yamato had to actually read the card. He lost and wouldn't play vs the deck again :( so old rod is going in every deck now. Now I'm sitting on the floor of my hotel typing this... I guess that's it. All that's left now is the normal ending stuff.

I was laughing so hard i was about to fall over when this was happenening. Then he had to read Meganium from UF to which I thought is still more common than old rod. Sorry about losing to my brother on magnemite starts. Good luck next year.

Gj bobby i still think we made all the right choices cause had we got the t16 win all the matchups were in our favor and the dream would have been alive in t2. i still think we made the right plays and once again congrats on the year man and we will just break tthe format next year.

-garrett

Back