Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mega Pokemon Mechanic revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JandPDS

(from Pokebeach.com) Pokemon.com has announced that the XY TCG set will include 2 Mega Evolution Pokemon (Blastoise and Venusaur), 6 Pokemon-EX, and over 140 cards.

Mega Evolution Pokemon will evolve from Pokemon-EX. Evolving into a Mega Evolution ends your turn immediately, but Mega Evolution cards will have even harder-hitting attacks and higher HP than Pokemon-EX.

Discuss... although this is why they nerfed catcher.

This is absurd. I was so excited about mega pokemon; they had a huge opportunity to do something innovative. Heck, even bringing back the Lvl X mechanic would have been welcome! What do they do instead? Make Pokemon EX even BIGGER. Great. AND it ends your turn. How fun is that? They could not have thought of a worse mechanic for mega pokemon.

Looks like I'll be going to Hearthstone instead of pokemon for this season.

This is absurd. I was so excited about mega pokemon; they had a huge opportunity to do something innovative. Heck, even bringing back the Lvl X mechanic would have been welcome! What do they do instead? Make Pokemon EX even BIGGER. Great. AND it ends your turn. How fun is that? They could not have thought of a worse mechanic for mega pokemon.

Looks like I'll be going to Hearthstone instead of pokemon for this season.

Yep. Stole the words off my mouth. I'll be going to Hearthstone as well =/ Goodbye Full Arts?

I'd like to point out that we haven't even seen any of them yet. For all we know they may wind up like Legends and be proven to be not worth it, especially since they end their turn, and the EXs they evolve from are noticeably weaker than others.

I'd like to point out that we haven't even seen any of them yet. For all we know they may wind up like Legends and be proven to be not worth it, especially since they end their turn, and the EXs they evolve from are noticeably weaker than others.

Don't really care if they are viable or not tbh. At this point the power creep is just too much, and bigger and harder won't cut for me. I'm tired of big basics going wild.

Last edited:
Don't really care if they are viable or not tbh. At this point the power creep is just too much, and bigger and harder won't cut for it. I'm tired of big basics going wild.

Two things

1. Look at the EXs, they're much less powerful than past EXs. Blastoise has a damaging drawback, Venasaur does low damage for high energy, Xerneas does underwhelming damage (not necessarily bad just less), and Yveltal has one good attack which is less accessible than Mewtwo's

2. We don't know what else will be released, it's still very possible that Stage 2s will be a lot better with both the nerf to Catcher, less powerful EXs, and whatever else may be added.

You talk about power creep, but other than the vague mention of Mega Evolutions (something which may have more to it than we know) I see a drop in power with these cards.

So, in the video game, mega evolutions need that stone or whatever to evolve? Will that have factor in this do we think? An ace spec tool perhaps?

Two things

1. Look at the EXs, they're much less powerful than past EXs. Blastoise has a damaging drawback, Venasaur does low damage for high energy, Xerneas does underwhelming damage (not necessarily bad just less), and Yveltal has one good attack which is less accessible than Mewtwo's

2. We don't know what else will be released, it's still very possible that Stage 2s will be a lot better with both the nerf to Catcher, less powerful EXs, and whatever else may be added.

You talk about power creep, but other than the vague mention of Mega Evolutions (something which may have more to it than we know) I see a drop in power with these cards.

The problem is that none of what you just said actually sounds like the game being "good", just "less bad"... and it isn't even guaranteed to be "less bad".

Two things

His attack is very easy to pull off t1 (going second) or t2 at the latest. it does 20 more damage, plus there is dark claw in format, and we all remember what it was like when mewtwo dominated the format because the other EX's in the set were no where near as powerful right?

Oh and about the mechanic, it seems unbelievably bad, at best it doesnt affect the metagame and exs still dominate, at worst say hello to mega EX's ruling the game.

Last edited:
His attack is very easy to pull off t1 (going second) or t2 at the latest. it does 20 more damage, plus there is dark claw in format, and we all remember what it was like when mewtwo dominated the format because the other EX's in the set were no where near as powerful right?

War of Darkrai's and its variants. Just like now. So interesting (LUUULZ)

The problem is that none of what you just said actually sounds like the game being "good", just "less bad"... and it isn't even guaranteed to be "less bad".

He was noting the power creep, I was noting how that's not really the case as they're not as worthwhile as many EXs.

I think you overestimate. It's certainly possible to pull off T1, but I wouldn't say it's easy. Plus it has a glaring weakness to Thundurus EX. Not saying it's bad, just not as easy to abuse as I think people think.

I dont see how more HP and harder hitting attacks are good for the game, Mega Blastoise in a Blastoise is not good for the health of the game with the current rules and sets. They need to ban all these sets up to like plasma storm. Let this overpowered energy acceleration leave the game.

I dont see how more HP and harder hitting attacks are good for the game, Mega Blastoise in a Blastoise is not good for the health of the game with the current rules and sets. They need to ban all these sets up to like plasma storm. Let this overpowered energy acceleration leave the game.

that would be a crazy fun format

- - - Updated - - -

He was noting the power creep, I was noting how that's not really the case as they're not as worthwhile as many EXs.

I think you overestimate. It's certainly possible to pull off T1, but I wouldn't say it's easy. Plus it has a glaring weakness to Thundurus EX. Not saying it's bad, just not as easy to abuse as I think people think.

Thunderus, shoot even Rotom could 1 hit him easily with 1 deoxys benched. Lol..
EDIT: I think it would be very interesting should they throw in a couple evolutions that just completely abuse basic pokemon. Like the old Machamp. Just auto ko on basic or something with an ability where all your evolved pokemon do 50 more damage to basics or something crazy like that. Would help the game a lot.

First impression: Great, already strong Pokemon get stronger

However, giving you a free turn to try killing it or at least setting it up for a 2HKO is better than nothing I guess. Hopefully they'll double the prizes they cost as well, a -4 prize if one gets KOed will at least discourage using them recklessly. Hopefully theyll limit you to 1 Mega per deck as well. It also arguably gives away what Pokemon will be EX and have a mega form, assuming they don't create new ones since there's a finite amount that can mega evolve in the video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back