Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Message from Prof_Warrax, TCGO State of the Game

sdrawkcab

Forum Moderator
NEWS
State of the Game – January 2013
posted: January 29, 2013 by: Prof_Warrax
Greetings Players,

To start 2013, I’m excited to give everyone an update on the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online—we have a lot of cool things on the horizon!

First, though, let’s quickly review just how far we’ve come over the last year.

New in 2012

We re-launched the Trainer Challenge in May and the core Player vs. Player features in August. This brought a new interface and functionality to the Pokémon TCG Online, as well as a lot of new technology. While it may be hidden under the hood, this new tech is vital to a smooth and scalable game experience, and it has laid a firm foundation for the future.

The Avatar Builder hasn’t been forgotten! We are hard at work to bring it up to speed and reintroduce this feature to our game sometime in the next few months.

Two of the most-requested features were added to the game in 2012: Friend Battle and Play Formats. The first helps you challenge a specific friend, rather than a random opponent. The second ensures that both players in a match are using the same deck-construction rules. As a building year, 2012 positioned us for a string of exciting new features that we will release over the course of 2013.

Coming in 2013

The current roadmap for 2013 contains a number of game updates, including Gems, online Tournaments, more uses for Trainer Tokens, and Trainer Challenge enhancements. In the coming months, Prof_Mathis will provide more details on these features, but here is a small taste of what they’ll bring to the game.

One of our goals for 2013 is to offer more ways to obtain items for the Pokémon TCG Online. Gems will make it convenient to obtain items when you don’t have access to code cards. You will be able to purchase Gems with real money and redeem them for digital items, such as booster packs, theme decks, avatar gear, game coins, card sleeves, playmats, and more.

Thanks the recently released Daily Login Bonus, you will begin earning Trainer Tokens faster. This will be of great benefit when we add items to the shop that can be redeemed using Trainer Tokens, including cards. As a result, improving your decks will be easier because almost every card will be available using Trainer Tokens, including Rares and Holos.

We’re also hard at work on Tournaments. When added to the game, scheduled tournaments will have entry requirements for participation and will offer prizes for the top players. Those prizes will include booster packs, Trainer Tokens, and unique digital items. We hope to introduce Tournaments for testing in the first half of the year.

As an entry point to the Pokémon TCG Online, the Trainer Challenge will be enhanced in the coming year, with updated decks for the computer-controlled Trainers. We will improve the difficulty system, to offer better challenges for players of all skill levels. In addition, we are improving the replay experience and beefing up the rewards for playing the Trainer Challenge. We think you’ll find it very rewarding to tackle the Trainer Challenge again after these improvements are implemented.

This is just a taste of the things to come in 2013!

As always, we would like your feedback on which improvements and new features you want most—we do add those to the lengthy list of cool features we’ve got in store. Make sure your voice is heard by posting your ideas to the forums or submitting them via the support portal.

Take care and enjoy the experience,

Andrew J. Finch
Senior Director
Online Products and Community Development

One of our goals for 2013 is to offer more ways to obtain items for the Pokémon TCG Online. Gems will make it convenient to obtain items when you don’t have access to code cards. You will be able to purchase Gems with real money and redeem them for digital items, such as booster packs, theme decks, avatar gear, game coins, card sleeves, playmats, and more.

Thanks the recently released Daily Login Bonus, you will begin earning Trainer Tokens faster. This will be of great benefit when we add items to the shop that can be redeemed using Trainer Tokens, including cards. As a result, improving your decks will be easier because almost every card will be available using Trainer Tokens, including Rares and Holos.
Oh man, Gems that allow purchase of packs/cards, and trainer tokens being used to purchase cards? Heck. Yeah.

Lets hope that the cards cost the same number of tokens as the cards cost in real life or TCGO might be screwed. I really don't like how you have to pay real money for Gems but I'm excited about everything else.

Right now my main gripe is how you get asked every 5 minutes what Tokens are for! Very much on the incremental improvements side of things, I realise, but something that signposts players would be nice.

I see you're adding a web-based code redemption, a very good idea I feel. I've had kids express confusion about where to redeem codes and its not an easy thing to explain.

Last edited:
I really hope Paypal will be supported as a type of payment.

Either that or they eventually come out with a top up/gift card of sorts similar to that of what WOW or XBox or PS3 do to add funds to an account. This will be a lot more secure then adding banking information to your account to make these purchases. Especially considering there are many players who might not even have the option to do this because they are to young. A card you could purchase in store to add funds would make most sense for everyone.

Back