Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mew EX and Drifblim (Derail)

Qzin

I was recently asked by a player what would happen if he had Mew EX as active pokemon, and Drifblim with Derail on his bench. Assuming his opponent has 3 plasma pokemons wording on Drifblim ability suggests that the attack cost of it's attack is 0 therefore Mew EX should've been able to use it for free.

The wording specifically refers to attacks cost not Drifblim using it's attacks cheaper nor "This pokemon needs [c] less to use it's attack".

Is it just lousy translation or Mew EX can use Derail for free in that case?

(I see it this way: Drifblim's Derail has cost of 0 with 3 plasma pokemons in play. Mew EX copies it's attack along new energy cost and uses it for free, but maybe I got the order wrong? For sure wording says the cost of each attacks gets lowered, not that the Drifblim has the ability to use it cheaper.)

Similar question that would point it SHOULDN'T be able to use it cheaper is.

What if Mew EX copies Darkrai EX attack that has Dark Claw attached to it. Dark Claw sais that "each of the attacks of this pokemon does 20 more damage(...)" it sais nowhere that it has to be that pokemon attacking.

We all agree that Mew EX won't get bonus 20 damage for someone else Dark Claw, but is it because the wording on Dark Claw refers to attacks as an action not as attacks printed on a card?

Last edited:
The problem is that Mew EX doesn't have access to Drifblim's Drifting Balloon ability. Mew EX copies Derail right enough. However, Drifblim's ability is limited to "this Pokémon", i.e. Drifblim. Mew EX copies the attack, not the ability, so the ability's reference to "this Pokémon" still means Drifblim, not the active Mew EX.

Back