Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

BW-on Mewtwo / Gardevoir deck help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisYuki

I am somewhat new to the pokemon TCG scene, and I was wondering if someone would help me out with a deck that I have slowly built? It's a mewtwo deck that uses Gardevoir as a supporter (bench sitter). I also run bouffalant to add more basics and combat EX pokemon in early games when mewtwo isnt out.

Here is my current deck. I removed espeon for bouffalant, but it still hasnt really helped me to much.

NOTE: The trainers feel wacky since I removed my HGSS trainers too.

1 Mewtwo EX ND 54
3 Mewtwo EX BWP 45
4 Ralts ND 55
4 Gardevoir ND 57
4 Bouffalant DR 110

4 Rare Candy DE 100
2 Revive BW 102
3 Skyla BC 134
2 Pokemon Communication BW 99
1 Gold Potion BC 140
3 Pokemon Catcher EP 95
4 Cheren EP 91
2 Cilan ND 86
1 Town Map BC 136
2 Energy Retrieval BW 92
2 Ultra Ball DE 102

14 Psychic Energy BW 109
4 Double Colorless Energy ND 92

Any help is appreciated. Please tell me WHY though, so I may learn.

You have a good idea and a potentially powerful deck. The one key thing that sticks out is your lack of supporter draw cards and your influx of energy. 2 Cilan, 2 Energy Retrieval, and 18 energy is overkill. Take out some of those cards and get some N and Professor Juniper in your deck.

Thank you :D. I think you are absolutely correct regarding the lack of supporter draw cards. What do you think a good energy count would be though? I am trying to get used to a good pokemon/energy/tss balance still.

I will remove the energy retrievals and two psychic energies for four N's. Would you recommend removing more energies for juniper?

Your edits are good.

14-16 Energy total in deck would be enough.

If you are running 4 or each pokemon in your deck, you do not need 2 revive. Those are definitely expendible.

Other optional removals are Cilan and Town Map. Eviolite, Pluspower and even Enhanced or Crushing Hammer would fit nice in your deck.

Normally I would recommend no more than 12 energy per deck. Also I would consider removing one Cheren, both Communication and Town Map for 3 Juniper and 1 Ultra Ball. Good luck!

---------- Post added 01/16/2013 at 04:10 PM ----------

Other optional removals are Cilan and Town Map. Eviolite, Pluspower and even Enhanced or Crushing Hammer would fit nice in your deck.

I agree with the Eviolite. Definitely try to fit some in if you can. Your lines look a bit heavy. Try dropping a Gardevoir and a Rare Candy for two eviolite.

Last edited:
Great deck concept (there is also an Eels-Mewtwo EX deck too). Mewtwo EX is a beast and one of the best Poké in the game today.

Some thoughts/comments:

You decided to go with a 4-0-4 Gardevoir line when in fact a 4-0-3 line would be quite sufficient, IMHO. Since you will not usually attack with Gardevoir, having 3 in the deck should suffice. Gardy's sole purpose is to provide its P-energy multiplying Ability to your attackers.

As noted by others, the decks lacks a sufficient number of card draw Supporters; so, I'd suggest the following:
-1 Gardevoir (reason noted bove).
-1 Town Map. Although useful in this deck; it is not critical.
-2 Cilan. With improved card draw capabilities, you'll be less dependent on energy-only card drawing.
-2 P energy. 12 P energy should be sufficient. Keep in mind you are getting 2 for 1 energy use and 12 energy comprised 20% of your deck. So, your chances of getting energy are good (after adding more card draw Supporters).
+4 N. You need time to setup and N helps with card draw and also disrupts your opponent's hand.
+2 Switch. Needed so that you don't always need to burn energy in order to retreat your active Poké. On the other hand, with Gardy's Ability, you are only discarding 1 energy in most cases. So, this could open up 2 additional slots too. Consider Eviolites for these slots.

In addition, I think you should consider these suggestions:
-2 Pokémon Communication,
+2 Ultra Ball. UBs allows you to search for any Poké after you discard 2 cards. By discarding cards you perhaps don't need, you "thin out" your deck - resulting in improving your chances of drawing into the cards you want/need.

-2 Energy Retrieval,
+2 Super Rod. These allow you to retreive both Poké and energy from your discard pile and shuffle them back into your deck.

I also believe all 4 DCEs will not be of great value in this deck due to Gardy's Ability. So, consider dropping 2 or all of them. Following are some replacement cards to consider:

Professor Juniper. This might be the best (?) card draw Supporter. While you get the chance to draw 7 new cards, you also must discard your current hand to do so (and sometimes lose valuable resources). Most decks tend to run 10-12 card draw Supporters (e.g., 4 PJs, 4 Ns and 3 Biancas/Cheren). The blend or mix is dependent upon several factors:
  • Do you want to deliberately put cards into your discard pile? PJs helps.
  • Are you running Ultras Balls in your deck? Biancas provide a nice balance to UBs.
Energy Switch. This can be quite useful when you need "extra" energy attached to a Poké. There's nothing like Reviving a Mewtwo EX attaching an energy, Energy Switching more energy onto it, and KOing the defending Poké to win the game.

Super Scoop Up. In today's format, especially now that Lugia EX is about to be released, most Poké are either 1/2 HKOd. SSUs can not only save your wound Poké, but it also provides prize denial.

After some playtesting, you'll find the card mix that you are most comfortable with.

Hope these comments help.

Last edited:
I run a deck similar to this on PTCGO, and found that Sigiliph works wonders with Gardevoir, requiring only 2 P energy to use once the Gardevoir is in play.

I also run 4 Ditto's and 4 DCE so that he can ultimately be a prime starter and put pressure on the opponent when you Juniper/Ultra Ball/Level Ball-Poke Communication for the Mewtwo. Once you start hitting turn 1 (as seen in most of my games with mewtwo) it's hard for your opponent to recover from such a agressive start.

Here is what I run based on the above comment ^.

4 Ditto
2 Bouffalant
2 Sigiliph
4 Mewtwo EX
4 Ralts
3 Gardevoir

12 Psychic
4 DCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back