Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Milford GC Report

Flare Starfire

Hello all! Forgive me if I forget names =(

Pretty standard...my friend Catastrophe picked me up at my house around 8:30 this morning, and we head to milford. I'm halfway excited at a second chance, but also dreading the possibilities that my deck might do just what it did in the finals at the PCNY Gym Challenge. I shake it off, and after trading for the extra cards for the deck he was going to play, I remembered to switch the skitties to their proper type, Minor Errand Running.

My deck:
Blazy-Amphy (NO RAYQUAZA!)

Pokemon:
4 Torchic
2 Combusken
4 Blaziken
2 Blaziken EX
2 Mareep
1 Flaffy
2 Ampharos
4 Dunsparce
2 Skitty
2 Delcatty

Trainers
4 Oracle
4 Oaks Reasearch
3 Elms Method
3 TV Reporter
3 Rare Candy

Energy
11 Fire
4 Electric
3 Double Rainbow

Round 1: Johnny Blaze, Sceptile Swarm
It figures I would have to play most of my best friends in this tournament...starting with my origins partner, J. Blaze. It started off bad for me with "Lone Torchic Syndrome", but I was able to draw into the cards to evolve it into a Blaziken EX which eventually saved me the game against his all fire weak deck.
1-0
Round 2: Joe Mammano, Gardevoir
Another one of my friends I'm going to origins with, I helped him put together a makeshift gardevoir deck before the tournament. Now, I got to face it...it was very very close, and in the end, I squeaked by with Blaziken, Blaziken EX, and Amphy ramping up with Double Rainbow (which saved me over and over again, let me tell you!) Close call.
2-0
Round 3: Ms. Geary, Cradily Lock
Now -this- was a new face for me. It had the potential to be very very bad for me as I had never seen the combo before at all...with Cradily up and shutting down power after power, and Shaman messing up my hand, I just managed to get by fast enough before I got completely locked down. Thank goodness...it was an awesome game though, and I'd love the chance to try my luck again!
3-0
Round 4:Jerry, Sceptile / Muk EX
I got a solid start...this was Jerry's first chance to try and stop me, and I just got Blaziken EX manually started before the Muk hit the active position, letting me get rid of it fairly easily. After that, I swarmed the Blazikens to deal with the fire weak pokemon. There were a lot of grass decks out there today, and I'm lucky to have played 3 of them!
4-0
Round 5?: Joe Pamo(?), Aqua Deck
I was the only undefeated, but I guess there wasn't enough of a break in the 3-1s. My
opponent and I played just because we'd both make T8 regardless. I ended up with "Lone Torchic Syndrome" again, and he got electrike with self charge and manectric off a TA Ball...I got a couple basics, but 50 turn 2 just shut everything down. I lose =(
4-1

My nerves were shot going into the Top 8, as usual. Just like last time! Only this time I have some fruit 2 o relaxing water stuff, courtesy of fast thinking mom. Thanks mom ^^

Finals Round 1: LifeVirus 7, Flygon
You can see his report topic for the run down on this...I got excellent set ups both times, and swept the games 2-0.

Finals Round 2: Jerry, Sceptile/Muk EX
Jerry gets a second shot....but the Muk never gets going, letting my blazikens swarm. I've noticed that in advanced games, more and more of my pokemon seem to get involved...I like the energy movement that Energy Connect provides, and is one reason I still like Amphy more than Manectric. Both games Blaziken gets running...sorry Jerry =( 2-0

Finals: Allan "Monkey" Sobon, Gardevoir
This was a tough, tough matchup. (I still have your Dunsparce, and you still have the Pokemon Reversals we swapped at the beginning!) Game one, I manage to get a Blaziken EX lock, but I get put to sleep for quite a few rounds...I wasn't thinking and I kept putting energy onto my bench, and he boosts/candies to Gardy EX to toast my blaziken EX when I only have one prize left....I end up barely getting through to him but he gets down to 1 prize in the process too. (Go Dunsparce!)

Game 2 took 5 minutes to set up and 2 minutes to play- I got lone torchic syndrome again, and he had a wynaut, alluring smile for wobby, boost the second turn, game. o_O

Game 3 I get to start, and my start totally rocks the house. Unfortunatly, Allan got all his support game first, and none of his set up. He was able to get a couple things up, but with Blaziken and Ampharos already in play, I was able to port energy over to fresh pokemon each time. I ended the game with Catty, 3 Blazikens, Amphy, and the dunsparce I started with.. the last two prizes were a Gardevoir he finally got up (6 energy on 'catty) and the wobbufet after it (8 energy on catty o_O). Of note was my complete inability to roll out of sleep on either turn- Ask BJ, I think I rolled tails for close to 7-9 full turns, using 4 of my dice, and I only rolled heads when I picked up Monkey's D6 XD XD

Wow.....I finally did it- I made up for PCNY, and I have an invitation and trip to worlds. I'm still stun-shocked...it looks like Catastrophe would rather I take someone who has earned an invite but not a trip. So I have to find out if any of my friends fit that description, cause looks like the 2 people have to be from the same area (to use the same airport.) Who knows! I filed the paperwork tonight...I'm exhausted, -happy-, my nerves are shot, and the box I won had another Bex in it X)

Congrats to all who played, it was a great time, and I will see you all at worlds!
Arcanine Forever!
Slim Shady to the Firefighters!
~Flare Starfire

Last edited:
SLIM SHADY!!! :D :D :D :D

You finally did it my friend. You reclaimed your spot at the top of the mountain as gym challenge winner. I cant believe you get the luck of ANOTHER BEX. You are the lucky dog that day mike. Too bad Catastrophe isent going with ya to worlds. Hope you find a buddy that has the invite already. I know ill try by best to win a trip in cedar grive and if no trip atleast an invite in ohio or orlando. You have fun in orlando and ill see ya there whether i win or not. You gotta have atleast a 1 fireighter cherring section there for your chance at pokemon immortality LOL :D :D

Last edited:
Great games we had. Again, I wish you luck in Florida. I just wish i had better starts though... Oh well!

Eh...I did better without it. And besides...by the time Worlds rolls around, the environment will have changed, so I can honestly say I have no idea what I'm going to be playing next. ^^;

Flare Starfire said:
... so I can honestly say I have no idea what I'm going to be playing next. ^^;
Hint: RK9 :D

Good job Mike.

Flare Starfire said:
Eh...I did better without it. And besides...by the time Worlds rolls around, the environment will have changed, so I can honestly say I have no idea what I'm going to be playing next. ^^;

Hint #2
arcanine returns! :D

Flare Starfire said:
well if you had played against a mirror, did you really expect to be able to beat a more speedy/deadly deck that is meant to beat bar or take on bex? You genearlly only play amphy for ray or swampert... other than that it isnt that good. and Double Rainbow Energy doesnt help it, cuz you cant discard it to do 160.And regardless Bex will own bar. The only 2 reasons that amphy is played is:
1. To distribute the eneregys mainly for rayquaza
2. Swampert/Kingdra

Luckily, you didnt play a single bex deck... shame... I would've liked to see the outcome.

But i agree with you that the environment will be changed slightly, but I still believe that Rayquaza and Bex, Blaziken and TA's Manectric will still be around...

|PoKeY| said:
well if you had played against a mirror, did you really expect to be able to beat a more speedy/deadly deck that is meant to beat bar or take on bex? You genearlly only play amphy for ray or swampert... other than that it isnt that good. and Double Rainbow Energy doesnt help it, cuz you cant discard it to do 160.And regardless Bex will own bar. The only 2 reasons that amphy is played is:
1. To distribute the eneregys mainly for rayquaza
2. Swampert/Kingdra

Luckily, you didnt play a single bex deck... shame... I would've liked to see the outcome.

But i agree with you that the environment will be changed slightly, but I still believe that Rayquaza and Bex, Blaziken and TA's Manectric will still be around...

Pokey give him a break. He faced nasty bar decks in the finals of NYC and he beat them all till he faced shadowzangooses and lost by a bad start in round 3. He has faced mirrors and has taken them out before so i know if he has that problem in the nationls he will be ready for them.

Ohh yeah dont forget,Gardevoir will be back after the change because most of its cards will be still nintendo bred. :D

FireFighter095ReBorn said:
Pokey give him a break. He faced nasty bar decks in the finals of NYC and he beat them all till he faced shadowzangooses and lost by a bad start in round 3. He has faced mirrors and has taken them out before so i know if he has that problem in the nationls he will be ready for them.

Ohh yeah dont forget,Gardevoir will be back after the change because most of its cards will be still nintendo bred. :D

im not trying to pick a fight or anything, but who was at the nyc that was good and also played BEX, cuz i know BJJ and JohnnyBlaze both played Scep or swampert decks.... and besides goroy.

im not questioning his skill or anything, but i just see massive flaws in his deck

Last edited:
nice report mike! and congrats on making first and getting that trip to worlds :) ! hope you do well in it!

|PoKeY| said:
im not questioning his skill or anything, but i just see massive flaws in his deck
and not to anger you pokey, but if his deck has flaws in it, then how did he make it into first place?

<and not to anger you pokey, but if his deck has flaws in it, then how did he make it into first place?>

Because his driver buddy split and I was a nice enough guy to hang around and afford him the time to win.

And he's till gonna take the guy that abandoned him to Orlando over the guy that drove his winning butt home. Sheesh! :)

LifeVirus7 said:
and not to anger you pokey, but if his deck has flaws in it, then how did he make it into first place?

Well remember that is coming from the player who played Team Aqua Cacnea in his Blaze deck.

Btw congrats

Back