Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

*Mime Jr. Revisited: Honest Insight on a Developing Legend in an Unstable Format* <3

sToRm07

So, between time spent laboring over college bio 2 homework (bad), my roommate and I started trying to piece together a top secret deck that is full-out an HG/SS- on compatible deck. It was a successful venture (good), but i could not help notice (fondly) a certain gender-confused clown baby as i was poring over my collection - Mime Jr - and the implications next format might have on the little dude's playability

Of course, anyone active on the 'gym has probably stumbled upon my previous mime jr. thread, but it ended up being roflstomped by legions of haters, and well, the potential was not fully realized by the masses.

I admit it was a full out troll anyways, so that is ok. Moving on <3

Anyways, i started looking at the menagerie of reasons scrubs voiced as to why Mime Jr. will go over like a pregnant pole vaulter in the meta-game at the time:

1. crobat droppings tear up mime jr. (ouch)
2. Mime Jr. might get a little too sleepy and make you and not be able to wake up on your turn.
3. regice and luxray switching SHENANIGANS. so obnoxious that i capped that.

NOW

Let's look at the most likely upcoming rotation: I would say mad chances for either AR-on or HG/SS on.

I want to point out that #1 and #3 now NO LONGER EXIST in regards to making Mime Jr. a bad play.
IN CONJUNCTION with that, many free retreat basic pogeymanz will be nowhere to be found in this new format. Leaving a gaping hole as vast and mysterious as the lost zone itself. Crobats moving on folks, so who will take its place to cause free-retreat shenanigans?

ahhh snap. Here he comes.
Notice the FREE retreat, and that he can stall like a boss with that oh-so-sexy poke-body of his. He's the coolest kid on the block, but get him mad and he'll LOST ZONE YOUR TOPDECK. scared yet? you should be. In tandem with Slowking HG/SS, Spiritomb TM and other top secret things, Mime Jr. can be more disruptive than taco bell before a marathon.

But this is not the real reason for my post, it was actually just a freebie. :) You're welcome guys.

I was thinking that any deck, ANY deck, HG/SS on can splash him in as a tech.
REASONS:

1. I mean, with these new rules and all that you can play T/S/S going first, it is paramount that you need to set-up as quickly as possible, so having a free retreat active sure can be nice!

2. You know that sad, awkward, complex feeling you have after your opponent K'Os your active pokemon and you don't know what to put in it's place because you don't know what you will topdeck into because that might affect your next move but you cannot draw yet because it is not the start of your turn and you dont want to put in some random pogeyman and then have to suffer more by paying a stupid retreat cost to retreat the darn thing?

Well Mime Jr. alleviates this situation! free retreat, baby. :lightning:

3. stall like a boss with sweet-sleeping face. Watch as your opponent gets all hot and bothered when you put a T3 extension down to a sweet sleeping face coin flip to win the game.

4. Using Mime Jr. as a means to be disruptive instead of passing your turn. Also functions as ANNOYING twins-set-up bait.

5. Bravery points. You will get respect, as long as you aren't actually a noob. ;)

Five points. One choice.

Mime Jr for Tech slot, HG/SS on.

Last edited:
Can't wait to tech this baby in HGSS... literally ;)

awww yeah, next format's gonna be a hot mess with Jr. running amok, lost zoning random crap that your opponent would have used to beat you down!

---------- Post added 04/08/2011 at 11:01 PM ----------

When Catcher comes out, prepare for more "SHENANIGANS."

Personally, i would laugh if someone would waste a catcher to get out of mime jr.s deadly clutches.

BUT MAYBE THAT'S JUST ME.

oh, and this "pokemon catcher" you gawk about won't even be out for a while.

u mad?

Last edited:
awww yeah, next format's gonna be a hot mess with Jr. running amok, lost zoning random crap that your opponent would have used to beat you down!

It's one thing if it's lost zone out of hand etc.

It's another if you're zoning off the top of the deck. That works well if you do it repeatedly for a long time, but just once or twice isn't going to hurt anybody. There's just not enough serious deck control, and your opponent doesn't go around putting things on top of their deck for you.

It's one thing if it's lost zone out of hand etc.

It's another if you're zoning off the top of the deck. That works well if you do it repeatedly for a long time, but just once or twice isn't going to hurt anybody. There's just not enough serious deck control, and your opponent doesn't go around putting things on top of their deck for you.

Oh Kayle, but that is only the secondary use of Mime Jr! His main purpose is to be a obvious go-to pokemon at the start of a game or immediately after a KO! Having a pokemon out with a free retreat gives peace of mind and flexibility of play after drawing - you can send out what you want without a retreat cost to worry about. Crobat commonly does that in this format, Mime Jr. seems to be the next in line NEXT format, don't you think?

Also, stalling can be more effective since crobat, warp point, regice, cyclone, etc. are now all out of format.

cmon now! you know you like this.

I see what you mean now, but I'd think Cleffa would be a more popular option over Mime Jr.

Who knows though.

^ The difference in real time is based on HGSS. If this becomes the new format... Mime Jr, Plume and Slowking is very formidable! Locking Trainers and SP gone could be an interesting overall situation. Slowking can definitely get things set to remove critical cards the HGSS Format would need.

Overall, it will be interesting to see the little guy!

^ The difference in real time is based on HGSS. If this becomes the new format... Mime Jr, Plume and Slowking is very formidable! Locking Trainers and SP gone could be an interesting overall situation. Slowking can definitely get things set to remove critical cards the HGSS Format would need.

Overall, it will be interesting to see the little guy!

could not agree more! There won't be near as high-caliber hand refreshing strats in next format, so locking would be much easier and effective since there will simply just be LESS resources for your opponent to squirm out of lock with. Crobat PT will be out, so mime jr can be a much safer option now.

Heck, i could even see this format with the new and upcoming B&W rules.

1. Sableye start
2. trainer into a Slowking HG/SS with BTS *hardest part* done via dual ball/poke-communication/ luxball/ etc.
3. Judge
4. Slowking's poke-power - re-arranging your opponent's top 3
5. Impersonate for a Cyrus Initiative - take out 1-2 resources vital to opponent getting out of lock
6. Mime Jr. the upcoming resource top-decks
7. win. :D

lotto combo - and hastily thought up - but it would be priceless to pull something off like this by T1. I'm sure this can be refined so you don't have to have a godhand lol.

Back