Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Missouri BRs Reports (Honchkrow G / Gengar)

Leaf

This report contains three Battle Roads, two of which I played Honchkrow in. the first BR was in Rolla, and I figured I might have a shot if I got lucky. I had been playing Honchkrow G with Luxray GL Lv. X for a while, and I really liked the deck. The first week I ran it, I won the weekly league tournament, but as time went on, people started to get used to playing it, and it started to get worse, and so I was unsure of my decision at first. My list is very much different from Takuto's list, mine is a lot less teched out.

Anyway, I get a ride from my good friend Keelan up to Rolla, and it was a pretty fun ride up. When we get there I fill out my decklist and whatnot, nothing really eventful happens. On to the report.

Round 1 - Keelan D. (FlyChamp)

Wow, first round and I already have to play one of my friends. Oh well, my deck has a pretty good Flygon matchup and so I figure I can win. The game starts and I have a pretty good set up to his Baltoy Machop start. I Ko all his basics with Honchkrow and Power Spray all his attempts to Cosmic. Eventually, I get a Machop to 20 Hp left, and I figure I can KO it next turn, so I Honcho's Command for the last 2 Sprays in my deck. Keelan makes a good play in getting and Uxie so he can make me use my last 2 Sprays. After that he starts to get set up, but I still think I have this. I'm up four prizes. He notices my deck is only four cards however, and mills me on my Skuntank G for game. He played well. GG :]

0-1 (At this point, I'm out of top 2 and there's not much point outside of premeir rating)

Round 2 - Nathan M. (Porygon)

We both get okay starts, but just as he starts to take the lead, I set up a double KO and all he has left is Uxie. I can't really remember much other than that, but it was a close game. GG :]

1-1

Round 3 - ??? (Dusknoir/Mewtwo)

He sets up Mewtwo as soon as he sees what I'm playing. I get mad because I had the donk in my hand had I gone second. I try and stall out with my Mewtwo, as I'm up a prize, but then he sets up another Mewtwo and KO's mine with Dusknoir. I have no more responses left in my deck because I don't run anything to get my non-SP Pokemon back.

1-2

Round 4 - ??? (Gyarados/Bronzong/Floatzel)

I attack his basics and use my Devoluter tech against his Gyarados. He scoops after I take my third prize.

2-2 (I get eigth place and Keelan ends up winning, which makes me happy.)

The next week we have 2 BRs in 2 days, and Luxray's not-so-good performance at Rolla, I didn't know what to play. I tested GeChamp, but didn't like the inconsistency of it at all. I also tested Gengar, but couldn't see myself winning with it. I get to the store and everyone is filling out decklists when I suddenly think of something. I had an idea a while back to replace Luxray with Blaziken for more endgame viability, but never did it. I built it with a Relicanth tech instead of Mewtwo and turned in my list. I was a little worried about playing an untested deck, but I was ready.

Round 1 - Brit P. (FlyChamp)

I always play Brit round 1, and it's always depressing, because we can never play good games, one of us always beats the other really badly, usually he beats me. However, I get a good early start, and he doesn't see a supporter. I sweep with Honchkrow G, Blaziken, and Ninetales.

1-0

Round 2 - Cory S. (Kingdra)

I don't have a very good matchup, as long as he gets up a fast Kingdra. My hand for the whole game is Uxie X, four energies, and a Power Spray. He wins easily.

1-1

Round 3 - Same guy with Dusknoir/Mewtwo

He does the same thing he did before, but this time I'm prepared. I get up Nintales and sweep with it. I feel good because I should have beat him at Rolla, and I just got my redemption.

2-1

Round 4 - Paul S. (FlyChamp)

He gets a turn 1 Machamp, but I'm still in the game. We play until we're at 1-1 prizes and he has an active Flygon that can Power Swing for 70, just ten short of KOing my Crobat. Next turn I can get out Ninetales and win. He topdecks the Vibrava and wins. This game was a really hard loss to accept because I know I played it right and didn't make any misplays, he just got lucky and sometimes that's all it takes.

2-2

Round 5 - Jeff S. (Garchomp/Weavile/Nidoqueen)

His deck is really good and Ninetales can't one hit a Garchomp that used Guard Claw, so I have to answer to his attacks. he sweeps, I only take one prize. I didn't really care anyway, I was still dealing with my last loss.

2-3 (I don't know what place I end up getting, but it doesn't matter. Kendle ends up winning with Luxiken in Top 2.)

So the next day I find out that Gengar has been doing good at BRs, and so I decide to try that this time, and I've been dying to try teching in Mesprit, so I do. I think my list is pretty solid, but I still made the wrong deck choice, because there was no Flygon played at this BR, but a lot of Power Lock, so I should have played Luxray/Manectric or something like that. We drive up to Mountain Grove, and fun times are had by all.

Round 1 - Nathan M. (GardyGallade/Weavile)

He uses his Mesprits to power lock me early, and I kind of get set up, but it doesn't matter, he hits me for weakness and he does good at avoiding Fainting Spell.

0-1

Round 2 - BYE

I get bored, so I talk about buying boxes with Kendle.

1-1

Round 3 - Kyle H. (Dustox/Venasaur)

He's a senior, but they got put up with the masters. I beat him easily, but he wins his division anyway. So all is well in the land of Battle Roads.

2-1

Round 4 - Brit P. (Palkia/Luxray)

He doesn't get a supporter and he scoops when I get out a second Gengar and Queen in one turn. He can usually beat me with his deck, he just got really unlucky.

3-1 (I get fourth and two packs, I hit some supporters which I then trade. Matt gets first with Gyarados and everything is awesome :D)

So I end the week 7-6, but considering I don't get points for winning against Kyle or the Bye, I guess that's not so good. Oh well, there's still one more BR left.

Props
Getting fourth :D
Doing decent with an untested deck
My friends winning all of the BRs :D
Having tons of fun

Slops
Not having a winning record :[
Brit having crap luck at every BR ever
No door prizes at any tournaments
Haivng to pick decks for tournaments :[

Thanks for reading!

Your Pal,
Burmy

The dusknoir kid is terribad and Kyle beat him easily. I dont even know if he played the T-Tar kid, and I didn't see any Gardy besides Nathan.

I still feel like a terrible person winning my match against you like that. Complete luck. That was an amazing game nonetheless.

I would call our game that we played in Rolla pretty epic. It was definitely top 5 I have ever played in :)

true but i would imagine those kids running gardygalade/t-tar/dusknior would beat him.

Patrick who was running T-Tar is in Juniors, as is his brother with Gardy/Gallade, so he played against the only other senior there who was playing electric type Pokemon. The Seniors got paired with master, (unfortunately for those who had to play them, I didn't Yay), so he won.

Back