Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mod Decks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I was wondering about something yesterday. That simply you never see Moderators post decks or strategy articles. I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything, but simply curious. I know that many of the Mods are League Leaders, Judges, TOs, etc. But I simply cannot fathom that even still they do not actually possess decks. I mean, I'd assume they playtest with their children or Leaguers.

Again, just a curious observation, no sarcasm or malice intended. It would be kinda cool to see Mods posting decks or strategy articles/thoughts once in a while.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

~Jim

The problem being access to info.

1. Mod / Judge / TO posts a deck.
2. Player accuses Mod of stealing idea from sheet turned in at event.

3. people believe mod and mock player
id believe the mods on this gym before i believe any random idiot
seriously, i am quite curious as to what the judges do play as well

I'm a mod and I post deck ideas all the time...

...but I have no life.

I think you'd find that the staff at this forum have a life and often time they don't have much time between taking care of their families, working, and judging pokemon tournaments to sit down and playtest ideas for hours on end. Not to say they couldn't, just that they probably have better things to do with their time.

Well, I agree, as a group we tend to post less decks, but there are some who do. I've posted a few over the years, Prime has as well, and I'm positive there have been others. One problem is that these ones tend to have even less time on their hands as well since they volunteer their time to do stuff here at the gym besides all their other real life stuff. Something's gotta give ....

the moderators dont play the game, they judge. it guarantees them trips to nats/worlds

on that note

The Glory of Cyrus will be restored
The Shahids will not be forgotten
We are a peaceful people, but will strike back twice as hard if hit
Nuclear energy is an inalienable right of the Iranian people
Down with England
Down with Mujahadeen-e Khalq and Saddam
Down with Al-Quada and Taliban

Ghaziaskar is the Leader
Long live the Leader
Obedience to the Leader is

I'm a mod and I post deck ideas all the time...

...but I have no life.

I think you'd find that the staff at this forum have a life and often time they don't have much time between taking care of their families, working, and judging pokemon tournaments to sit down and playtest ideas for hours on end. Not to say they couldn't, just that they probably have better things to do with their time.

So you actually admit that you have no life?

Heh. The deck articles on the Gym have gotten quite beyond my capability to "compete" with.
Articles on rulings, game history, events... you got it. I can do them.

If I were to post a deck... well, I don't play often enough to create a good deck.
An exception would be the deck I worked on for the Prof Cup this year.
I squeezed in a good amount of time to work on that, but even so it doesn't compare to the amount of time top players put into their decks.

Right now I have a Gyarados deck that I put together. It will do well at League, but I wouldn't expect it to become an archetype. I already see where it has problems, but don't have to time to fix them.

I don't think many TOs/PTOs have decks, because most of them don't ever actually play the game (There are, of course, some exceptions.)
My PTO, for example, has never built a deck, and has only played a very small number of games before.

Ya Prime is the only mod I've seen post decks, but also of note I think some PUI member posted one once which was cool, may've been Jimmer, not sure though.

I could post the deck that my 8 year old daughter plays at League. I built it, so I guess technically it's my deck. :biggrin:

Heh. The deck articles on the Gym have gotten quite beyond my capability to "compete" with.
Articles on rulings, game history, events... you got it. I can do them.

If I were to post a deck... well, I don't play often enough to create a good deck.
An exception would be the deck I worked on for the Prof Cup this year.
I squeezed in a good amount of time to work on that, but even so it doesn't compare to the amount of time top players put into their decks.

Right now I have a Gyarados deck that I put together. It will do well at League, but I wouldn't expect it to become an archetype. I already see where it has problems, but don't have to time to fix them.

This is a direct contradiction of what you all have been trying to do! A deck shouldn't be blatantly "good" to be posted on the deck forum...should it? I remember a while back one of the POP guys posted a Porygon 2 deck which many would consider not that "good", yet at the same time it was unique, interesting, and above all, fun. :)

Lord knows I've posted my share of bad decks, but that's just a process of elimination: figuring out what works best, one step at a time.

It is an easy response.

There are several PTOs who play, at a good level, with Rocketman and Heidi leading the pack...I happen to be decent too!

I find myself working on my kids' decks, and their friends decks, and not much more than that.

If I would ever come up with something cool, I would consider posting it.

The fee they pay me for modding would cover its value!

Vince

PTOs and Mods are awfully busy doing the things we need to do to provide you with the tournaments to play in and a website to come to. That doesn't mean we dont play "some". I help my son with decks, build some for league (many times to be loaned out to other players). I like to tinker with decks here and there to try out "funky" ideas...like my Fer d/ Draggy EX deck from last year. I played it in a CC and lost in the semi's to the eventual winner. My son played it in another CC and won with it.

I also like to build decks to run ag'st the better players in league, to give them "tests" before tourneys. (At least I HOPE they feel like I test them some! :lol: )

The biggest reason for a lack of decks posted by at least PTOs......someone may claim one of us "copied" a decklist they used in a tourney and would feel like their "trust" was broken. Believe me....every PTO I have met thinks it is of utmost importance to keep the lists of players safe and sealed away. No one sees them after said tourney ends, unless PUI needs to see a list for some reason.

Keith

I have decks. Secret decks. League level. That i loan out to new participants who show up at an event with their Unlimted deck that features 1-1-1 Base Charizard. So posting those are really worthless. They usually start out as modified Precons. The deck i used quite often was the CG Venusaur deck with Whismer & Loudred (when loaned out the person was "Is Exploud EX in here?"). Modified to have 1 Aipom, H's Trode, and i think Cursed Stone. Competitive? No but very League worthy/new tournament entrant worthy.
Another is the Binder deck. Made in about 3 minutes at a Regional or States. Aggron EX with DS Gardevior and 1 Heal Dance Gardevior. So many random Trainers - Potion & Field Worker spring to mind. Totally not MF anymore but still playable at League.
And a slightly modified Milotic EM deck. Unfortunately a borrower took the Milotic out so in went another Swalot.
Raindance & The Cleaner for those Leaguers who get the ego inflated because their unlimited deck wins. A 2005 Brock's Challenge deck (no trainers) that is just so much fun to play if it gets working. Found a slightly changed Brock deck last week in the boys' room - still cannot win with it (ask anybody how good i am a flipping heads and with Brock's Rhydon.....). Think i have my Singular Victory deck somewhere (not as good since Metal no longer works on Rocket's Zapdos).

As for competitive decks, well since i usually work events, i currently don't have any. Nor do i have the time to build and test them. If i want something competitive, i usually look for an interesting deck and try that out. Have tried several Jim Ferrell original decks. Had fun but i don't play competitive enough to be anywhere remotely good.

Right now i'd probably play a Garchomp deck. Just because it's interesting. Ho-oh EX might be a good card in it. Wish UF Aipom was around. I'd probably tech in a 1-0-1 Omastar line unless ATM Rock shows up in POP 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back