Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Most Valuable Trainers Supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazee

I realize the type of trainers and supporters you choose relates to what kind of Pokemon in your deck. Stadiums too - obviously Dawn stadium for Water/Grass, Moonlight for Dark/Psychic, etc.

But in general what do people consider the most valuable trainers and supporters (for new 2008-2009 format)

I'm a beginner but I'd say with my limited knowledge, my list would start with:

Rare Candy - (More if you are using Stage 2 Pokemon, less or non if you are using lots of Basic like Darkrai or stage 1 evolutions)

Bebe's Search - Find any Pokemon just to put a card on top of your deck.

Dusk Bull - 7 cards! A GREAT card as far as I can tell. This may be a top 3 in my mind.

Professor Oak's Visit - a 1 for 3 exchange not bad, still not as good as Dusk Ball.

Amulet Coin - Seems good if you attach it to a Pokemon with high HP that may last several turns.

Everything else seems sort of gimmicky to me and only valuable in very particular situations.

Like Pokedex Handy910, Rival, etc. seem like overrated to me.

What do other's think?

First this is the wrong section. This section is for deck help only which means you need to post a 60 card deck list.

Second if the deck is a stage 2 deck then 4 rare candy is a must. Bebe's search is a great card and should be played in almost every deck. Duskball is great exept if there is claydol in the deck. It's terrible with claydol. Oaks is good but if claydol is in there then only one or 2 is needed. Amulete coin isn't really that good. Pachi will just kill it. Pokedex is a great card. Rival should never be used. Same with moms concern. Plus power is great and I can't really think of any other trainers. There are a lot of great trainers coming out in the next set.

The forum is 'Deck Help & Strategy' Saying it only is limited to discussing an entire deck strategy seems a bit like splitting hairs to me. But oh well. Sorry.

Forget my comment about Dusk Ball. I forgot on that one you have to return 6 of the 7 cards (shows you how green I am at this). So Dusk Ball ain't that great.

I think Felicity's drawing is a real good one. I like the ones where you can draw ANY card, not just a pokemon or just an energy (like energy restore) so if you need energies you can get them out of the deck and if you need pokemon you can get those out. The more flexible the better is the way I see it. Also Professor Rowan is good if you have a real bad draw. I'm learning.

What is interesting is I'm an analyst by trade and used my analytical skills and the pokepedia website to download everything into Excel. I built a deck and practiced a few times with my kids and then whooped this player that is going to Worlds next month using an all D&P deck. They were using legal cards but virtually no D&P. Is D&P not legal at Worlds or is it that most players aren't as familiar with D&P cards so they play what they are most familiar with and playing the longest. They were pulling trainers out I had no idea what they were. A lot of cards with the R symbol on the bottom corner. One time we had to put our hand back into our decks and could only draw out the number of prize cards we had left. And that was just the tip of the iceberg. They pulled so many moves I thought for sure I was dead meat but then I clobbered them. A beginner, with just D&P, beats someone going to Worlds. I was astonished (and they were too.) Although, if I played that person 10 times they probably would win the majority, maybe not. I may never know. But it was strange I don't think they hardly one D&P card in their deck.

My point is the new format really throws out A LOT of trainers all these players are used to playing. It's really going to make people have to re-learn their trainer strategies. That's sort of the point of this thread. Figuring out the best of what's left.

Last edited:
well first of all if you mean d and p as in diamond and pearl, it is because there are not as many valuable trainers in this set. and beating a player going to worlds when being a beginer could be luck, matchup, or a combination of both. im not saying you're a bad player, but in my past 5 years of experience, that is those are usually the case.:biggrin:

and yes the new format is going to bring a lot of new trainers it will be intresting. rightn now with the trainers out, this is what i would say for top 5 trainers in dp-on.

1. bebe's search- vital in every deck
2. rare candy- should play at least 2 in every stage 2 deck usually 4
3. Proffesor oaks visit- a great draw card and goes good in every deck
4. felicity's- takes the place of TVR and other discarding opitons
5. and last but not least, super scoop up. Picks up a severely damaged pokemon that you can evolve to again after doing so. works great in a lot of decks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back