Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mukilteo WA, 3rd Place Report

Barkjon

Hey guize! Though it would be kinda fun to write a report. This tournament actually happened a week or so ago, which is why I haven't written it yet.

Anywayz, the night before I had this talent show thing at my church, which I had to play drums for. I pretty much just hung out with friends there. Apparently it's really annoying to have your two best friends dating and being in fights with each other half the time.

I got home that night and solo playtested a bit. I decided I was gonna be playing DonphanDragons, as I had a ridiculously consistent list that did really well at league the past few weeks (5-1, 4-2, 6-1, 4-0). I had a solid list with two rotating spots. In the end, I dropped the 3rd Judge I had for a 3rd Juniper, which really helped in the end. In the final spot, I decided to play a Max Potion - which was eventually a bad play.

I get to Phoenix Games in Mukilteo (mah home league yo) at like 10, with a few people there. I talk with a few people there and look at what people are playing. In Seniors, it's basically very mixed up. In Juniors, pretty much fighting tool boxes and ZPST. In Masters, lots of variation with a ton of Eel variants.

There are 36 Masters (!!!), 9 of us Seniors, and 13 Juniors or so. The Seniors have 4 rounds and a top 2. The pairings finally go up aaaannnddd...

ROUND 1: Me vs. Philip B (Vanilluxe/Victini/Vileplume): I haven't tested this matchup at all and didn't expect to see it. They have a type advantage on me, but I expect I can outspeed them.

I start Phanpy with Tornadus benched, and he starts with a Vanillite. I go first and Collector for a Kyurem and 2 Phanpys, attach to my active, and pass. He collectors for an Oddish, a Vanillite, and a Victini, attaches, and passes. At this point I get 2 Donphans out with a DCE on my Tornadus, PONT for a new hand, and Catcher + KO his Oddish. He Collectors again for 2 more Oddishes and a Victini. He PONTS but doesn't get an energy or an evolution, and passes.

At this point I get a fighting energy on my Tornadus, meaning I can attack and accelerate energy to my 2 benched Donphans. I Sage's to get a Kyurem and another Catcher, drop the Kyurem and Catcher KO one of his Oddishes. He brings up another Vanillite and evolves the benched one, and attaches another water to the benched Vanillish. He passes again.

I switch into my benched Tornadus, Junk Arm for a Catcher, and ko his Vanillish with two energy. He's in a rough spot now.

For the last 3 prizes I just one shot everything he brings up, and he can't respond.

1-0

Ian apparently got a bye. I feel slightly sorry for him, and I'm dreading if I get paired up to him. He's so good at this game, lol.

ROUND 2: Me vs. ??? (Magnezone/Floatzel/Kyurem): This deck was so weird. I start double Phanpy to his Magnemite. He goes first and gets another Magnemite and a Kyurem. I learned my lesson from some games vs. KyuGatr, and I despise Kyurems now. I learned that I should take them out before they can start attacking. He attaches to his Magnemite and passes.

Luckily, I topdeck a Collector for 2 Tornaduses and a Zekrom. I attach to my Phanpy and pass. He drops a Blastzel and attaches to it. He uses PONT and evolves into a Magneton, but passes yet again. I Collector again and somehow Communicate two basics away to get double Donphan on my field (my other basic being a Zekrom). I attach to my benched Donphan and KO his Magneton.

He attaches another energy to the benched Blastzel and evolves it. He Rare Candies into a Magnezone and draws a few, and uses Water Acceleration onto his Magenzone, and passes. I PONT and get a DCE onto one of my Tornaduses, and I Catcher + PlusPower + Earthquake KO his Magnezone. He brings up Kyurem and DCE's it, and Outrages me for 20. I Switch into my Tornadus, attach a Rainbow to it, and Hurricane. He Outrages me to bring me to 10 HP left, and I Hurricane KO him.

At this point it is impossible for him to respond. I think he maybe takes a single prize on my heavily damaged Tornadus, but I can just sweep for my last few prizes.

2-0

Ian is also 2-0. I stand around and talk with a few people, but apparently it's lunch time so I go and grab a Jersey Mike's sub, head back to the store, and sit around until pairings are up. I get to play a Canadian... eh?

ROUND 3: Me vs. Joey G (TyRam): This game was one of the most epic I've played. We both get extremely good starts, him having multiple Cyndaquils, a Reshi, and a Typhlosion by second turn, and I have 3 Donphans, 2 Kyurems, and 2 Tornaduses. We trade prizes, me being only able to Catcher KO a single Cyndaquil, and I 2HKO several Reshis using PlusPower drops effectively. Eventually he gets a 2nd Typhlosion and it goes back and forth some more.

I use Kyurems a bunch to score KO's on his Reshis, but he can always return KO me. Eventually we're down to 1-1 prizes, and he gets a 3rd Typhlosion. I attempt to get a KO, but I miss it and he wins.

2-1

Ian is now 3-0 (lol) so I believe he will be playing against Joey. Basically, if Joey wins and I win, we'd go in top cut. If Ian wins, him and either Joey or I get into topcut. I'm crossing my fingers that I play the single MagneEel here, and what do you know...

ROUND 4: Me vs. Alan-Luc N (Magnezone/Eelektrik/Thundurus): In this game, we get equal starts but I get a bunch of Donphans out early and basically sweep. This game was pretty boring and really lopsided.

3-1

I am now hoping I can top cut, but Ian wins and he and Joey go to topcut. I finally discover what Ian is playing, and it's Six Corners (Virizion/Kyurem/Zekrom/Terrakion). I get my 4 packs and play Pack Wars with Ian, Joey, and another kid. I laugh at the fact that Joey slipped a Power Spray into the pack that he was using. I actually decided to see what I pulled, and I got a Fliptini, a RH Eviolite, an Eelektrik, and a RH Haxorus. Pretty dang good pulls.

Apparently my rating is now up to 1620.65 after one tournament, and I have 4 CPs. Likeaboss.

PROPS:
My mom for driving me
Jeff and Penny for running the tournament
Donphan
Dragons
DonphanDragons
Jersey Mike's
Ian
Joey
Weird meta

SLOPS:
Being an idiot and running Max Potion over a Super Rod or Lost Remover, both of which possible could have one me the game vs. Tyram.

ROUND 3: Me vs. Joey G (TyRam): This game was one of the most epic I've played. We both get extremely good starts, him having multiple Cyndaquils, a Reshi, and a Typhlosion by second turn, and I have 3 Donphans, 2 Kyurems, and 2 Tornaduses. We trade prizes, me being only able to Catcher KO a single Cyndaquil, and I 2HKO several Reshis using PlusPower drops effectively. Eventually he gets a 2nd Typhlosion and it goes back and forth some more.

I use Kyurems a bunch to score KO's on his Reshis, but he can always return KO me. Eventually we're down to 1-1 prizes, and he gets a 3rd Typhlosion. I attempt to get a KO, but I miss it and he wins.

Wow. :confused: 7 + 1 + a bunch = 5?
LOL. Good job on 3rd. Our game was really close. Power Spray is so good in pack wars:tongue:.

Last edited:
"brings up Kyurem and DCE's it, and Outrages me for 20. I Switch into my Tornadus, attach a Rainbow to it, and Hurricane. He Outrages me to bring me to 10 HP left, and I Hurricane KO him."

How did tornadus survive that? nice job btw. DD is my favorite deck.

Congrats on doing so well in your first CC. 3rd place was fantastic you did our gym proud. Good luck at your next tourney.

Back