Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Muskeet's T16 NW Regs How I knocked myself out

Muskeet

This is the story of how I barely cut at regionals that I hadn't intended to play in made T16 then knocked myself out of T8.

Started out Friday night with my friend Keanu coming over around 11pm shortly after i wake up from my post work sleep and me planning on helping out at regionals and not having any decks built. So for playtesting reasons and playing the side of caution I build Reshiboar/RDL so that i'm prepared incase I'm not needed or Organizers didn't get word of me being there. After a night of playtest we leave around 630 and arrive in Salem right around registration time. I find out I am gonna be playing so i fill out my list and meet up with the rest of the gang.

List:

4-2-2-1 Emboar(2 ability 1 bad boar)
3-3 Ninetales
2 Reshiram
1 Cleffa
1-1 RDL
1 Pikachu (secret rare)

S/T/S:

3 Collector
2 Cheren
3 Fisherman
1 PONT
1 FSL
2 Twins

3 Rare Candy
3 Junk Arm
1 Catcher
2 Energy Retrieval
2 Switch
3 Communication

1 Burned Tower

NRG:
10 Fire
2 Electric

Pairings go up and the show begins sorry for foregetting names was intending to write a report till I got home well after I had forgotten a few things.

Round 1: ??? with Reshiphlosion
Turn 2 Emboar and 2 Ninetales insane setup to start the day kinda blew threw him early he started coming back when i lost my first Reshi and found out the 2nd was prized so i set up Bad Boar and with 1 KO from him got my Reshi and rest was easy from there finishing it with RDL.
1-0

Round 2: ??? another Reshiphlosion
Insanely close game both got great set ups took out Typho when I had the opportunity but he was ahead in the prize count he knocked out my Emboar to make it 1 prize to my 2, I had half of RDL in hand 3 Energy so i needed 2 Energy (1 to retreat and 1 for RDL) and other RDL half to win so i NEEDED Twins to win and low and behold I top deck twins grab retrieval and RDL retreat ninetales and take my last 2 prizes. Close game had my heart pounding going into lunch.
2-0

Lunch:
Expo center had a concession stand with some amazing Teryiaki Chicken on Rice was so good sat around talking matches and ate before R3

Round 3: Jason Q. with The Truth
When I saw he was playing The Truth I was immediately glad I had pikachu in my deck and felt very confident of the match-up. He playgrounded early but struggled to set up any real attackers I got a fairly quick setup and ran away with the game early not even needing Pikachu though he was always in hand just incase.
3-0

Round 4: Santiago P. with ZPST
This matchup always scares me cuz it's so 50-50 for my deck all coming down to setup speed on both sides.
He gets a speedy setup like ZPS does and starts wrecking thankfully I also do and get my engine running and start trading prizes. Late game after some surprising catcher KO's by him that slowed me down I take a gamble drop RDL with 3 prizes left and knock out Zekrom bringing me to 1 prize to his 2. If he can double PP and bolt strike my RDL I lose he goes through his motions gets 1 PP down and my heart is in my throat when he Oaks and only needs Junk Arm or another PP he's unable to do it so Catchers up something for a KO. I promote next turn and take my last prize very close and scary. GG Santiago

4-0

Round 5: Chad O. with Beartic Lock
Sat down having no clue what he was playing just hearing from his friend that it was gonna be a fun match either way and it was. He got a quick Plume set up and it really slowed me down I had Ninetales but couldn't seem to get a single Ability Boar set up but got Bad Boar slowly built and took down a Beartic just to get 1-shotted back then he started sweeping with Zekrom. By the time i finally got Ability Boar set up i was down 5 prizes to 1 and him with a fully setup Beartic to 1 shot anything i threw out so I scoop.
4-1

Round 5: Colin S. with Reshiphlosion
A fairly straight forward battle my reshiboar has the advantage here not having to damage itself to power up so it generally wins the prize trade with help from Bad Boar taking out 2 for 1 due to its HP. Long story short we got into a prize war and Boar won.
5-1

I'm now 1 win away from garunteed top 32 and playing how I am i'm feeling confident

Round 7: ??? with T-tar Howl
This is one matchup I wasn't sure how to approach never playtesting against it and remembering his HP i'm regretting not having atleast 1 PP in my deck and it ends up hurting me. We're both playing the prize game for twins and he's able to prevent me from using it and I try to play it anyway good thing we catch it before it's a problem. I'm finally able to knock a few out but not being able to OHKO is really hurting me and letting the dmg pile on not to mention his Max Potions. I play a catcher late game hoping to set up my last KO, but if he has catcher or max potion I lose well fortuneatley for him he had both. GG new found respect for T-tar decks.
5-2

Now i'm stressing cuz I have to win my last game to garuntee my spot.

Round 8: Jeff B. with Reshiphlosion
I met this guy earlier on lunch and we became friends great guy and I was happy and sad to play him at the same time cuz only 1 of us could garuntee T16. We both get good setups and get into the typical prize trade war these decks go into but he gets the upper hand with some catchers as well as getting the first KO when his Cleffa sleeps for 8+ turns allowing us both to set up but him getting the power cuz my catcher is prized. In the end he wins the prize trade and goes 6-2 to get in I congratulate him and hoped he did well in T16.

So now I'm a bit bummed cuz i'm thinking I had such a good start and i'm gonna miss out in the end of it all so I sit around and hear about 5-3 possibly making it so I start hoping I have high resistance and when the standing go up i'm extatic I got in at 32 so losing to Jeff was nice cuz we both got in. Now I have the fear of playing the #1 seed undefeated though.

T32: Bidier with Machamp Truth varient
So throughout the day I hear about this deck wrecking people with Champs 150 consistency which is intimidating cuz it 1 shots anything in my deck, but I also hear about the rest of the deck and realize it probably runs off the twins engine since it is Reun/Plume type deck so I mentally prepare my game plan and sit down
G1: I start building my normal setup and let him build his, but I pass regularly to avoid putting damage on the board for him to manipulate and use for Champs attack and make sure I get my Bad Boar setup I wait and wait not knocking anything out so I can keep him from twinsing till I want him to when his Vileplume finally hits the board later in game I go on the offensive using Burned tower to take out his Tropical and Bad Boar his Donphan he KO's my boar with Champ I reset it up the very next turn for a return KO and then sweep the rest from there finishing with an RDL vs Champ for 300.
1-0

G2:
I repeat my process again saving my stadium for his Tropical this time he drops ESL which I didn't know he ran till just last game he 1 shots my Boar so I drop Pikachu drop ESL for 2 prizes leaving me with 1 and Bad Boar on the field end of story from there. So coming in at 32 and beating the deck no one else seemed to be able to made me feel good and ready for Day 2 and T16.
2-0

P.S. Awesome job Bidier very innovative deck I liked the idea and it was impressive how well you performed.

So I'm extremely tired and exhausted and knowing I have to be back early the next day instead of driving back I decide it's safer to just shell out the money for a hotel and I do. I pass out so fast i'm now positive it was safer to do that and not try to drive.

Day 2:
So I wake up early bright eyed and busy tailed and ready to go. We get there early and wait around for our matchups and I get nervous finding out I have to play against ZPST a scary 50-50 matchup. Also find out it's Santiago the ZPST I played in swiss which was close ><

T16: Santiago P. with ZPST
G1: He gets a typical speedy set up and we're exchanging blows and prizes left and right but he's just to far ahead and I can't come back so he takes game 1.
0-1

G2: I get an amazing god start to his Tornadus start he gets first knock out. Then I go on the offense with Boar and 2 Tales already set up KO Tornadus, pachi, tornadus and bench him. Quick game.
1-1

G3: Most epic misplay of my life in the game. So this game is fairly 1 sided in my favor I'm planning all my moves well and KO'ing his Zeks and Genies consistantly he only takes 1 prize. I get the game down to my 2 prizes to his 5 prizes he has 0 energy on the board and I have a full setup this game is in the bag. I have a Reshiram active with 1 NRG on it played Fisherman for the turn so had 4 Energy in hand all fire and RDL in hand. He promotes Tornadus and ask "Do you have it" I start getting to happy and reckless and lose my focus. First of all my bench is full so I can't even play RDL down, secondly my 2 electrics are locked up (1 Prized and 1 in Play), thirdly I have 2 cards left in deck Fisherman already played and flower shop in my hand. I make the noobest most epic misplay of my life I ROAST REVEAL MY LAST TWO CARDS. I literally drop my head in my hands once I realized what I did. I triple checked my hand for a way to get cards into my deck I have cleffa but a full bench I have FSL, but can't play another supporter. No JA or Communications left I literally beat myself I coulda just Reshi'd 2 turns in a row with FSL for game, but I got stupid and wanted to end it with RDL when not even possible. So I congratulate him and scoop he's is floored and shocked, but happy I wish him luck and leave to go kick my butt in the bathroom.
1-2

This ends my run which could have been great realizing I had 3 favorable matchups the rest of the way to Finals...but oh well guess there's always next regionals and I still got CPs and rating.

So after my loss I open my packs and start thinking of cities decks and do some trading. I screw around a bit with Durrant and end up trading for 4 Full Art Ns so I have a full play set now I was happy about that as well as a few other nice trades I got. So I'm looking forward to a new format not sure if I will keep Boar around it's been battle tested and does really well for me, but such a different meta i'm unsure if it can stand up.

Props:
Bidier on an amazing deck idea
Judges and staff for a well run tournament
Concession stand for great food
All my friends who made top cuts themselves
The Truth for winning
Reshiboar for being an underdog and proving it's worth
Seeing Andrea, Cat and James from Mtn West again after a long while

Slops:
Me for epic misplaying
Thieves for stealing cards from friends

Last edited:
Glad to hear you made top cut! You were super nice, and I really enjoyed playing you. Just wish I could have made it a closer game :p

Great game musket! Chad here I thought yiu had it once RDL hit the field

I hope to play you again in the future!
Posted with Mobile style...

Back