Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My 2nd place Nats report with Ambush

Raichu2063

Friday- So I arrive friday meet up with everyone (Kyle Sablehaus, Bobby Malec, Aaron Curry, Zack Ficher & Bolt). We play test Ambush throughout the day and then Kyle, Bobby, Zack (Rambo1000), and Bolt stay at my room to play test though instead we just end up making jokes about some mysterious looking triangles. lol.

Saturday- So I fill out my Ambush list, feeling good about my deck choice and start round one.(Btw I'm in 11-14).

Round one vs. Infernape w/Gyrados* -
I draw my hand and start with Piplup and he starts with Gyrados*. I attach and attack for ten and pass. He just attaches and passes. I then Wally for Prinplup. I attack with Aqua Shower and Brine the whole game because once he mentored he could never retreat the Gyrados* due to the high retreat cost (3 energy) GG.
1-0

Round 2 v.s. Random stuff -
I get out Prinplup T1 and start Aqua Showering and I do this the whole game and finish it by Energy Boning with Marowak.
2-0

This is when I met Jeremy and saw that he was also playing Ambush as well. So i start talking to him and that was cool.

Round 3 v.s. BanDoom -
So the kid dosen't run windstorms so I'm able to lock in a Cessation Crystal to shut off Banette and Houndoom. I then play Cursed Stone and aqua shower once putting everything in range of Empoleon's Aqua jet for 70 and possible 20 to a benched Pokemon of my choice. Nothing more to say other than GG.
3-0

Round 4 v.s. Dainel Rattray w/Infernape -
I knew this would be a tough match due to my quality opponent. I got the Empoleons out really quick. I then kill my own Budew with Cursed Stone so I can scramble immediatly while I already have a Empoleon with 2 energy on the bench. It happened so quick, there was no opportunity to recover.
4-0

Round 5 v.s. Flygon -
I get a quick Prinplup and start Aqua Showering. Once it dies I get a Cessation Crystal to stick and bring up Empoleon and Scramble for the K.O. on Eggs. I then start Ice Blading wherever he lays an energy. He couldn't handle all the damage and he couldn't use his powers.
5-0

So I'm 5-0 Bobby is 4-1 and Jeremy is 5-0. So me and Jeremy start talking about match-ups and we started to talk about the mirror. So with my bad luck I play against Jeremy.

Round 6 v.s. Jeremy w/Ambush -
I roselia start and he dosen't play a bench and he wins.GG me.
5-1

So every one is telling me I can lose every match and still make it because I started out 5-0. I was hoping this was true because I usaully have bad luck with cards I need to win being in my prizes.

Round 7 v.s Delta -
I'm like yeah a good match-up. So I get out Prinplups and Aqua Shower and play a Cubone on my bench. So he knocks out my second prinplup and I bring out Cubone. I have a Wally and Scramble in hand. I go to Wally and find out both Marowaks are prized and a Piplup. See this is my luck with prizes. GG me.
5-2

Round 8 v.s Infernape -
I start with budew and T1 me with Chimchar and Plus Powers.
5-3

So, Bobby and I are both 5-3 and stressing out if we made Top 32. Jeremy is 7-1 and dosen't have anything to worry about. So the roster comes out and I made it as the highest ranked 5-3 coming in at 26th. Bobby ended 33. Sorry man. So I started getting hyped about getting in and beggining to wonder how far I could really go!!!

Sunday Top 32- I'm against Absol and Jeremy is against Shiftry. Round one begins.

Round 1 v.s Absol -
Game 1- I start out Aqua Showering and I am able to get a Cessation to stick. So for the rest of the game I Brine wherever he plays an energy. The strategy ended up paying off, I won.
Game 2- Time is called during this match so I win because I won the first game.
6-3

After this match I found out Jeremy won and he is on the other side of the bracket and we start hoping for an Ambush final.

Round 2 v.s. Latias ex Latios EX and Techs-
Game 1- He turn 2d me.GG me.
Game 2- I'm able to get a Cessation and Cursed Stone to stick, so I win.
Game 3- Same as above.
7-3

I found out that Jeremy won and that the dream of an Ambush final is still alive.

Round 3 v.s. Delta-
Game 1- I Aqua Shower the whole game and then Energy Bone for the win.
Game 2- Same as above.
8-3

Jeremy won so we both made top 4. We both just AMBUSHED our way to Worlds. We're still hoping for an Ambush final.

Round 4 v.s. Delta-
Game 1- I Aqua Shower and Marowak and win.
Game 2- He wins because I'm not able to get much going.
Game 3- This was a good game and time was called and I was up on prizes and win. Good games man.
9-3

I win so I'm in top 2 and Jeremy's game is still going but he losses. Man. So he said that this guy is good with Ape so I go in thinking that since it is still only Ape I could pull it out.

Round 4 v.s. Ape
Game 1- I draw my hand and start with Cubone I draw and that's when the other player says that I forgot to put out prizes. What do you think happens, Prize Penalty NOOOO!!! The judges AMBUSHED me with a GAME LOSS. Not sure I agree w/that call, but whatever, I made the mistake.
Game 2- I get fast Empoleons out and lock Cessation and start killing stuff but he tried to use energy draw twice and actually saw the cards and only got a prize penalty. Not sure of the parity between judging decision against me vs the decision against him. But I win, so whatever.
Game 3- You know how earlier I said I have bad luck with prizes well it happened. We both have only a prize left I have a Prinplup with 2 water energies active. I already attached to Prinplup all I need is Empoleon to win. I then I Wally for it and guess what, it's my last stinking prize.GG me.

So I end up getting second and Jeremy got third. So Ambush in seniors came 2d and 3d. Congrats to Aaron for top 16 in masters w/Ambush. Also Huge props to John Silvestrio what a weekend man. So it's props time.

Props-
Triangles ftw. You had to be there for this one.
Piplup - I love you.
John Silvestro for getting 3rd in both the Professor's Cup and Nats.
John and Steve Silvestrio for all the help, you guys are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!
Jermy for getting third, see you in Hawaii man!
Zack for telling me about the deck and just for being Zack
Bobby for Donking the trip, way to go man, see you in Hawaii!
Aaron for being Aaron
Jim for playing Kingdra
Hawaii
2nd place at Nats
Brent for all the help
Bolt for being so cool
My dad for taking me everywhere and being so cool
Ohio

Slops-
Bobby getting 33
Kyle getting slow played
Zack for playing Ape
Prizes
Infernape
Game Losses

Last edited:
GJ at nats, way to rep the best metagame in the world, FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW why didn't you try to shave off Greg's Afro!!!!!!!! He is so mad he went with the wrong deck choice.

Anyways, have fun getting laid in Hawaii.

Laid has in the lay you get when you get off the Airplane.

Spoinkmaster- Thanks.
Bolt- I pray Triangles! Thanks for the kind words and it was cool meeting you to.
Anthony- i wouldv'e got banned for cutting off his fro, but whatever. Thanks for the kind word I guess.
Jeremy- Lets hope the dream will be alive at worlds! See ya there man.

Farret Garrington is MY national champion. You deserved to win that game but you still did great. Amazing job and I'll see you in a few weeks.

SO happy for you Garret! You deserved it- you played great! You and your dad are ALL
class and can't wait to see you both next month ;)

And thanks for the props kid ;) I appreciate it!

Aloha

John

Aaron- Can't wait to see you in Hawaii and thanks for the kind words.
Greg- Thanks.
John- Thanks John and what you and steve have done for me means a lot. Thanks.
TyranitarFreak- Thanks I also hope I sweep worlds.:biggrin:

I said before the tourney that if I didn't win again I'd want you to, and you did (pretty much)! Let's take worlds this year while I'm still in Seniors. Great job buddy, see ya in a few weeks.

Game loss for no prizes....on your first turn? Are you sure all you did was draw? That sounds like a prize penalty to me. Second is great though, good job.

That's a bummer, Game Loss on game 1???!!!!! In my Top 2 Juniors, my opponent drew a mulligan before setting out prizes and that was just a prize penalty!!!!!! Great Job, and I bet if you were'nt as unlucky you would've won. GJ

game loss for forgetting to set your prizes??
dude, when I played the scizorgross in top 8 (masters division), he forgot to put out his prizes, and the judges gave him a warning. (no penalty). i guess it depends extremely on who's judging your match.
thats lame man, if it wern't for that, (and the Wally's situation) ambush woulda won nats in 11-14.

GJ first of all.

2nd, It isnt a game loss. I assume the Judges were looking closely enough that could actually see what you drew. If they didnt at worsed it is a Prize Penatly. But even that is a bit much. I think it should of been a Warning/Caution. You should of got a warning and your Opponent a Caution. A game loss is waaaaaay too harsh IMO.

Drew

Back