Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My 2nd place Nats report

pichu bros. rox

This is my first time to go to Nats and my first decent year of playing. My goal was to at least get to Top 16.:thumb:

Thursday
I arrive in Columbus on Thursday and go to a Reds game. Reds win over the Giants, Woot! Well yeah whatever, but great Park.

Friday
On Friday I playtest with some people and I played in 2 side events. I lost both of the first games but I won them both because I was the only Junior in the event (hint here I'm a Junior). My friend Austin comes to my room later to playtest and gives me major tips on my deck. He plays a list 1 card different from mine on Saturday and goes 4-4 :frown:.

Saturday
I decide to play R-Gon well here's my report:

Round 1 vs. Travis B with Empoleon/ Clefable
I get out Eggs Sr pretty fast and he doesn't get much.
1-0

Round 2 vs. Alex K with Banette/Lutions
He gets Banette ex T2 and my hand is nothing, but Holon Mentor, Windstorm x2, Windstorm, Trapinch, Spearow, Eggs Jr FTL.
1-1

After this I play Orion Craig for 2 games against Absolutions I go 1-1 against him.

Round 3 vs. Nathaniel S with Fossil deck
I start slow and he gets T2 Armaldo ex. I sacrifice 4 Pokemon before I get a Flygon ex going. I just destroy him with Flygon.
2-1

Round 4 vs. Elizabeth K with Flygon Blastoise
I get a Flygon ex δ with 3 Energy and Flygon δ T4 and I win pretty easily.
3-1

Round 5 vs. Bill P with Infercatty
I am in a perfect position to kill his Lvl.X so I Delta Sign for Mew * and it's prized :mad: I end up losing because of that. After the game I see that Mew * was my last prize.
3-2

Round 6 vs. Cody W with Machamp/ Queen
I get out Flygon ex δ and kill him because he's weak to me.
4-2

Round 7 vs. Drew F with Absolutions
I get out Flygon ex δ to kill his Active Ray ex δ and put Sand Damage on his Benched ones. Then I sent out my Ray ex δ to 1HKO them.
5-2

Round 8 vs. Bram W with Infercatty
I get out Flygon δ and Mew * to kill Infernapes and then used Eggs FTW against Delcatty.
6-2

I'm in T32!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Sunday
T32 vs. Matthew C with Gardy PK/ Steelix ex/ Deoxys ex
Game 1: I start with Ray ex δ and he has 2 Deoxys ex and an Onix. I start sniping the Deoxys exs for 4 easy prizes. Then I just Sky-High Claws everything else.
Game 2: I start with Ray ex δ again and he has Ralts, Deoxys ex, and Onix. I sniped Deoxys ex again and Sky-High Clawed until he KO'ed Ray ex δ. I send out Flygon ex δ FTW.
7-2

T16 vs. Tad M with Empoleon/Lutions
I lose the first game and it's really close. In the next 2 games I get a little better starts and I beat him. (I forgot most of this battle)
8-2

T8 vs. David S with Mirror and same sleeves
Game 1: I get a pretty good start and he doesn't get that good of a start.
Game 2: This game takes a while and I am up 4-1 in prizes. I need an Energy to win and I whiff FTL.
Game 3: I get T1 Candy into Vibrava and do 20 to his lone Holon's Castform. He doesn't get anything and I T2 Sonic Noist FTW.
At the end of this battle the judge asks us to count our cards and he says 59 and I have 61. I see that I accidentally stole his Giant Stump and I either took at the end of Game 1 or Windstormed it and thought it was mine it Game 1so I put it in my Discard Pile. The judges give us both Warnings, but I still make it to T4.
9-2

I'm going to Hawaii!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

T4 vs. Steve R with Shiftry ex CG/ Lickitung
Game 1: I start with Eggs Jr and a Mew δ on my Bench. He goes first and Delta Minds for 30 on Trapinch. I Briney Eggs Jr, attach a Psychic to Mew δ and Delta Mind for 30 on Licky. He does 30 to me and I KO him. I get out Eggs really fast and he doesn't get anything.
Game 2: I attack with Flygon ex δ and I put lots on Sand Damage on his benched Mew ex and Absol ex. Then I send out Flygon δ to kill Mew, Shiftry and Absol ex FTW.
10-2

T2 vs. Tristan R with Mirror
Game 1: On T3 he Candies into Flygon δ and the ex and then he attaches and Delta Supplies on Flygon δ. I can't do anything and he Delta Supplies and attaches 1 to Flygon δ and 1 to the ex. Next turn he attaches and Delta Supplies on the ex, retreats, and kills me.
Game 2: I start with Eggs and I plow through him with Delta Circle.
Game 3: He gets a good start and I got nothing FTL.

Oh well I still get a $3000 scholarship and a trip to Hawaii. I sold the Wii because I already had one and so now I'm really happy:smile:

Props:
Major Props to Austin for letting me borrow some cards and fine tuning my R-Gon deck
Coming in 2nd place at Nats in my 1st decent year of playing:thumb:
Hawaii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Meeting lots of new people

Slops:
Austin going 4-4 with a 1 card different list
Bad luck in T2:mad:

Last edited:
yea I went over to watch the battle between you guys, cuz Tristan always plays in our colorado tournaments.
judging by the start of the 3rd game, I thought you were winning, cuz all I saw was a couple of Tristan's damaged pokemon on the field, and that you had pulled an early prize. (which I found out later was a prize penalty)
but then Tristan later said that you didn't really get set up that game.
great job though, and good luck in hawaii
-ian

Rainbowgym - Tah, it's not like all Juniors don't post :/
Lakak - No, I don't beleive I saw you
homeofmew - Thanks
ChicoBlanco - Yah I got an early prize penalty cause he drew his mulligan before he put out prizes. I really couldn't set up though

Well done Jason! I was the judge that came over and asked you two to count your cards due to the same sleeves. If we (as in a judge) would have discovered the error in the next round, that penalty would have been much worse. (Legal list, illegal deck -- 61 cards) Have a great time in Hawaii. You certainly earned it. You played very well for 2 days and ought to be very proud of yourself.

Keith

Good job at nationals i was one of the people you played in the first rounds at the side events on friday. See you at worlds.

Absoltrainer - "You don't derserve to go to Nats. Tina always beats you and Tina didn't even come close"~Absoltrainer:tongue:
Take that back!!!:wink::thumb:
Magic_Umbreon - Thanks
Lawman - Yeah, seems like you are a pretty good judge to be able to remember to do that, and thanks for catching it before Top 4.
metalbird - What were you playing? Were you the person playing Bancham I faced?

Austin, without your help, I would be playing a really stinky list. I probably wouldn't have gotten past T16 with out your help. I'm not joking either.

metalbird - youre going to worlds???

AWESOME!!! *high five*

great great job jason! i should be the slops too, 4-4 ftl xD.

Way to go Jason! Great job going T2!!!

I am glad you got over the loss to my little guy...

Great to meet you in person, and I am GLAD you did not get to Piglet Draft :)

You rox!

Vince

Back