Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My CC report

PkB_

Ok so this is my first CC ever, so I am a little nervous in the days coming up. Its Sunday December 6th at Colseum comics. I decided to run Flygon/Machamp/Nidoqueen. I felt that it was one of the safetest plays for my area. The night before I Gliscor Spirtomb proof it with the help of Celbi23. So day of the tournement I wake up and get everything ready. I go to church then me and my dad leave to go to the tournament location. We get there with about 1 hour before Registration ends. I get the spirtomb and 2 warp energy that I needed and turned in my decklist.

We hang out in the back room during orentation and I learn that Grafton is playing Charizard/Infernape 4, Jonathan is playing Gechamp and zack is playing LuxChomp. Then pairings go up and we all scramble to see who we will be playing.

Round 1: Vs. Jonathan w/ GeChamp
Ok so I am glad to be playing him as my last tourney match was when I misplayed to cost me the BR win. We both get good starts. I get mackoke Flygon nidorina and Claydol out by T3. Then I roseanne's for Unwon G and an energy to find that my lone Unown G is prized =/. So I start to charge up my nidoqueen and was going to try and just go the whole game with my Flygon/Nido/Machamp. He then snipes my Claydol for a knockout and he is now up by 4 prizes (2-6). But now I no powers in play, only 1 trainer in hand and Nidoqueen in play to heal off the minimal damage that he is doing. I hit with Power swing for 60. He goes and poltergiests for 30 soon to become 10 beacuse of Nidoqueen. I then Sand Wall for 20 and discard his BTS. He goes and snipes 30 to nidoqueen with Shadow room. I go I still havent gotten a Uxie or something like TMTS2 to get around Feinting spell. So I decide to man up and hit his Gengar with power swing for the knockout. Feinting spell: Tails. yes so now im only down by 3 prizes. He goes and hits 60 to flygon to put me at 70. I go Power Swing for 60, he goes and poltergiests for another 30 to put me at 40. I go and man up again and announce Power Swing for onther 60 for the Knockout. Feinting spell: Tails Again. He goes and Hurricane punches and flips: Tails, Tails, Tails, Tails, Yes 0 Damage and now I have 50 damage starting my turn. I retreat and send up Nidoqueen which is now fully charged. Attach Expert belt and Ruthless Tail for the knockout. Prizes are now 2-3 and they had just called 20 minutes recently. He goes and poltergiests for 0 forgetting that I had played down the Expert belt. I draw. Uxie Finally. A way to get around Feinting spell beacuse I figured that He was gonna flip heads eventually. I attack again with Nidoqueen on Gengar for a Knockout. Feinting Spell: Tails. Thats 0 for 3 on feinting spell so far. But looking back on this I should have sacrificed the 3 energy beacsue if he flips heads he gets to take 2 prizes beacuse of the Expert belt. He goes and contintues to hit for minimal damage with Gengar. I realize how risky attacking with the nidoqueen is and retreat it (I didnt have a Psychic attached to Flygon) and promote Machamp. I use hurricane punch and the flips were: Heads, Heads, Heads, Tails. Good 20 short of a knockout just perfect for Uxie. He starts, Levels up and retreats to a different Gengar. By now they have already called less than 10 minutes. He continues to hit flygon for little damage. I retreat Machamp and send up Flygon. I hit for 60 and he goes and gets flygon to like 70 damage. I start my turn with prizes tied 2-2 after finally catching up. I use Power swing for the KO Feinting spell: Heads. Ouch. Well I didnt really need it to be tails at this point. Prizes are now 1-1 he draws and judges call time actve player finish your turn. He sends up Gengar hoping to be able to hit my machamp and me have at least 3 TSS in hand to the win as he had just flash bit for 10 damage. He used polltiergiest on my 5 card hand. 1 Trainer. IIRC it was a Rare Candy. I go and I have uxie there to get around feinting spell and all I need is 1 energy. I lay down and set up for 2 cards as I forgot to empty my hand first =/. So I draw my 2 cards. They are Roseanne's Research, and Roseannes Research. I search my deck and get the last Psychic Energy in my deck retreat machamp then Psychic Restore for the game.

Record:1-0

so by now I was shaking all over and beacuse our match ended late I did not have very much time to walk around and wear off the tense feeling. I cant believe that I got out of there 1-0 but hey sometimes luck is on your side, what can I say.

Round 2 Vs. Kid whose name I cant Rember w/Luxray toolbox
I was still a little nervous and he muliganed like 3 times and I quickly saw that he was Playing SP. I go first and call for Baltoy Baltoy and Spirtomb. He goes and starts to set up. This turn I roseanne's for 2 Machop. Retreat to spirtomb and Evolve Machop to Machoke. He goes and starts to get a Toxitank combo out. I then go and evolve to Machamp and then Take out his Luxray GL Lv.X. He continues to bring out his toolbox stuff but by now I have Powerswinged through another 2 pokemon and still have a machamp on bench. He stats to set up a Ditto and I get out Relincath and snipe the ditto with 2 energy (Energy Gain and Moonlight stadium) then I sweep the rest of his pokemon to take 6 prizes with Machamp. I don't rember much of this game beacuse I was just calming down from my 1st round.

Record:2-0

Lunch break. Pizza is $2 instead of the ushaual $1. I only have $1 so yea pretty bad. I trade a Blaziken FB and meteor blast arceus Lv.X for his Gengar Lv.X. So I was glad. I sold some Pokedex and Level max for $1 and get a piece of pizza. Talk to some other people then borrow $2 from deep balance to get a 2nd slice of pizza. We talk some more and everyone shows up from lunch and pairings go up. I get grafton. Great.

Round 3 Grafton R. Charizard/Infernape 4
I mulligan my first hand then get a spirtomb start. He get's a Heat Rotom start. I go first and Darkness Grace my Baltoy on the bench into a Claydol. He goes and Roseanne's for Baltoy and unown G. He gaurds his heat Rotom. He then warms up his Charmander on the bench. I dram machamp and now I have the whole entire Machamp line in hand. But of courst I didn't have an energy in hand the turn before so I had no Energy attached to spirtomb =/. So I start to set up on the bench. He then TOPDECKS a Claydol. At this point I begin to get the felling that the match is slowly gonna slip away from me. I cant rember much but I know that I get a knockout with flygon. He sends up charmander with 1 energy on. Rare candys Charizard attachs plays stark mountain to move a 3rd energy to chari then attached Expert belt for knockout. At this point I know that the game is probably over for me beacuse of Charizard's Resistance to machamp and the fact that I would have trouble getting flygon's out. I finally get like 70 damage on Charizard [3 heads flips with hurricane punch] then next turn he the knockout on nidoran. Prizes are now 1-2 in his favor. I go and start attacking with my Machamp. He goes and he needs an energy to be able to get the knockout. THe only energy in his deck is his last Rainbow energy. He uses roseanne's he asks if I want to cut. I say yes cut deep into the deck and his first draw, rainbow energy GG.

Record: 2-1

I get randomly deck checked but Grafton has to Resleve so I help him.

Round 4 Vs. Random kis with Wormy's [Playing down >.<]
I set up with spirtomb then powerswing through his low HP wormy's. It wasnt really much of a game and I 6-0 him.

Record: 3-1

So now comes to round 5. Im not real comfortable about making top cut. We get out pairings and I see that I am the 4th table down. Table 1 is 2 undefeades. Next table is jonathan and another 3-1 and then 3rd table is Grafton playing down. I am the 4th table and playing down [again] so I think that I might get in over jonathan beacuse I had beaten him earlier in the tourney but he hasnt had to play down 2 times like me so i'm not real sure.

Round 5 Vs. Random kid with modified theme deck [>.<]
I don't rember much of this. I had to call the judge 4 times or something like that. He thought that he could Bebe;s for a fossil, then he tried to play his fossil during my spirtomb lock. Then I played down Trapinich rare candied to Vibrava to get another Evolution on the bench and he starts saying how he's not sure if I can Rare candy the turn I lay down my trapinich >.<. Then I see Grafton stand up and say that he lost so now I know that I am in Top cut as next table down is 2 2-2's. I eveutuall sweep through his random shark pokemon, rampardos and flygon FTW

Record:4-1

So I know that I am in top cut but grafton is not. But that's the only matchup that I feel like would be almost impossible for me to win barring a terribad start for him.

Top Cut Vs. Zack N. LuxChomp with Blazeray tech 2 Vs 3 seed.
Game 1:He gets out to a quick lead with Luxray Garchomp combo to take out my Claydol and flygon but I am able to get 2 MaChamps out and start making a comeback. I Then have another Flygon charged up. I extreme attack Luxray GL Lv.X and unless He ko's me next turn I will win game 1. He goes top decks roseanne's then uses that for Blaziken FB/Fire energy. Of course I had forgotten that he had this and he luring flame's my Claydol. My turn I try but cant hit a fighting energy or a warp energy and pass. He draws premier balls for Blaze FB Lv.X attaches Gain and hits claydol for 80 for the game.

Game 2: I get a T1 Machamp, and start knocking out stuff. He eventually snipes my claydol but by this time I have already taken 3 prizes and had a 2nd Machamp set up on the bench. He then scoops to try and save time.

Game 3: He gets an really early bright look on my baltoy and I just don't get much the rest of the game and he eventually sweeps through most of the smaller stuff that I sent up. I got a machamp set up for a prize but that was promptly meet buy his Uxie Lv.X+Lucario GL+Crobat G.

So I get 4th ask for the stack of prizes on the right the judge gives me the packs on the left >.< I pull 2 Arceus, Charizard, Tangworth, Expert belt and shiny shinx. So im not so mad about my pulls other than having 21 Arceus =/. Then the other stack of packs gets opened by the 3rd place finisher and he pulls Gengar Lv.X.

So I do pretty good in my first CC ever. I learned alot about the current format and how much I hate it.

Props:
Doing pretty good in my 1st city
good prize packs
Trading really good for a Gengar Lv.X
Grafton
Deep balance for letting me borrow a dollar.
Having a great time
Lunar wing for getting 2nd

Slops:
Grafton for starting 3-0 then going 0-2.
Not getting the stack of prize packs that I asked for.
Playing down 2 times

Ok heres my list:
Pokemon:
2 Baltoy [GE]
2 Claydol [GE]
3 Flygon [RI]
1 Flygon Lv.X [RI]
2 Machamp [SF]
1 Machamp Lv.X [SF]
1 Machoke [SF]
2 Machop [SF]
1 Nidoran [RI]
1 Nidorina [MT]
1 Nidoqueen [RI]
1 Relincath [SV]
1 Spirtomb [PA]
3 Trapinich [SW]
1 Trapinich [RI]
1 Unown G [GE]
1 Uxie [LA]
2 Vibrava [RI]

Tss:21
4 Bebe's Search [RI]
2 Cynthia's Feeling's [LA]
1 Expert Belt [PA]
1 Luxury Ball [SF]
2 Memory Berry [PL]
1 Night Maintence [SW]
1 Palmer's contribution [SV]
4 Rare Candy [GE]
3 Roseanne's Research [SW]
1 Team Galactic's Wager [MT]
1 Technical Machine TS-2 [LA]

Energy:12
4 Call Energy [MD]
1 Dark Energy
3 Fighting Energy
2 Psychic Energy
2 Warp Energy [SF]

Its an okay list. Im probably not going to play it again so you can look at it.

Last edited:
Nice, nice. For a first CC that's pretty intense. Well played!

Thanks.

that first game =/.... nice job though dude, congratz on 4th

Yea that first game was a little lucsakish

Holy Cow!!

Your memory is AMAZING!

LOL@having 21 Arceus

Thanks. I do have a pretty good memory. Thanks again.

very positive performance on ur 1st cc..u have a potential to become a rly good player

I've gon to some other tourneys before I was just sick/busy all of last CC season.

Back