Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My Newspaper Column in the Rock Island Argus

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaNd0m

I've been writing for the Rock Island Argus/Moline Dispatch for about 6 months now... and I write a monthly column. This month, I chose to write about the game we all know and love. It was printed today. Just a note... I played with the margins a little bit. Newspapers like to create paragraphs every other sentence... and I don't like that so I changed it back. :) Here's the article...

GUILTY PLEASURES ON THE POKEMON CIRCUIT

Everyone has a guilty pleasure, right? I know I do. I used to be very evasive when someone would ask me about it. These days I'm pretty open. My guilty pleasure is playing the Pokemon Trading Card Game.

The first thing you need to realize is that the Pokemon TCG is nothing like the television show. Not even close. The TV show is geared toward very young children, and the game is much more strategic and difficult to understand.

Although the game is a blast to play, there are some incentives (tournament play) that compel me to continue playing. There are some significant prizes involved, including free trips and huge scholarship awards.

Many of you have probably had some experience with Pokemon, most likely playing the video game. That's how I got my start in 1999. I loved the video game, and some friends of mine showed me the cards. Back then, Pokemon was a huge fad at school, and everyone was into it. I learned to play the card game, and I was intrigued by it.

When I found out there was a tournament circuit, I was hooked. This resulted in me winning trips to San Diego and Seattle, as well as other assorted prizes. It was a perfect mix of strategy, competition and leisure, and I still haven't found a reason to stop playing.

On May 14, I had the opportunity to attend a Pokemon Regional Championship tournament in Madison, Wis. I hadn't played competitively in a couple years, so it was a breath of fresh air to play again. I caught up with friends from the past and had a blast.

A Pokemon tournament consists of a certain number of rounds, and then it cuts the number of players to eight or 16. Those left battle in a single-elimination-style tournaent until only one player remains.

I won four of my matches and lost two. One must play exceptionally to make the top cut. There were more than 60 people in this tournament and any mark less than 4-2 would not make the cut. Many 4-2 records didn't even make it. I was one of the lucky ones, and I made it to the top 16.

I was excited to finally be in the situation to win big. The top two players would win trips to San Diego (to play in an invitation-only tournament) as well as a $1500 scholarship and a $1000 scholarship, respectively. However, I didn't do so hot in my first-round match and I was eliminated.

That's what happens when you haven't played the game in two years.

There are opportunities in the coming weeks to win that trip to San Diego, which is what I hope to do. There's also a chance to win a $7500 college scholarship.

So yeah, I play Pokemon. Want in?

Jon Schweppe, 18, lives in Aledo.

------

So yeah, there we go.

~ RaNd0m

random said:
Everyone has a guilty pleasure, right? I know I do. I used to be very evasive when someone would ask me about it. These days I'm pretty open. My guilty pleasure is playing the Pokemon Trading Card Game.

too true! theres so many jocks (in the UK we call them chavs) around, just itching to ridicule u, its hard to open up to many about your hobby.

IMO, u had real guts to do this article!

i wouldnt have been able to do it!

wicked job dude

The Argus/Dispatch has a "South of 20" section that is published every Saturday. There are 4 featured writers (columnists), one of which is me, and then there are 20-30 "young journalists" who write about stuff going on in the area. That might help with your search, although I don't know if it's online or not.

~ RaNd0m

Nice article, Random! :) It's very good to see how open and mature you are about your Pokémon interest, that's the way it should be. ^_^

I'm a jock, I love to play the game, though lately I haven't been playin as much. People make jokes, people talk alot of crap, but I'd love to see them play against a zap-turn-dos and win. It takes alot of skill to kno what to do at the right times. Nice article, not that it took guts, but it took a love for the game. You loved the game enough to admit your hobby and stay true it. I'm glad theres more people like that in this world. Stick to your guns bro, never be ashamed of somethin you love doing.

skarmory777 said:
I'm a jock, I love to play the game, though lately I haven't been playin as much. People make jokes, people talk alot of crap, but I'd love to see them play against a zap-turn-dos and win. It takes alot of skill to kno what to do at the right times. Nice article, not that it took guts, but it took a love for the game. You loved the game enough to admit your hobby and stay true it. I'm glad theres more people like that in this world. Stick to your guns bro, never be ashamed of somethin you love doing.

im more scared of attractive popular girls finding out i play an allaround viewed game for "children" rather than some jocks. im a jock. and most of the guys who play football (american football) are bisexual.....so i dont worry about jocks finding out, just the hot chicas....

huge guts random...great job

<>< rokman

uh...yeah. All the girls I know pretty much already know I play, so, who cares? Who you don't want findin' out weldon?(Katie?) AHAHAHAHA!!!!

Jon! Great to hear from you again, it's been ages! Good to see you're still around and doing well. Good job on the article, you haven't lost your touch I see!

Shiloh Phoenix said:
uh...yeah. All the girls I know pretty much already know I play, so, who cares? Who you don't want findin' out weldon?(Katie?) AHAHAHAHA!!!!

and the girls you know are atractive? lol

<>< rokman

If people ask me if I play Pokemon, I admit yes, but if they don't ask me about it, I don't say anything. I will not care what people think if they find out; I'm pretty much oblivious to other peoples' perceptions of me.

Eeeeew, it's RaNd0m. You didn't mention me? I'm disgusted. =D

Anyway, nice article. People find out you play after a while, no big deal. I'd like to write articles like this, but I don't know where to do them. Remember that Scrye article "you did?" :x

Hope to see you soon, Jon.

Gym Challenges... the only one I'm going to at the moment is the Sedalia, MO GC. If I lose there, I might end up going to another one. At this point, I don't know.

Pooka, I always wrote my OWN Scrye articles. It's just that sometimes I had help on decklists. Major help. Ok MAJOR help. ;)

Oh yeah, I'm not 18. I'm 17. They just think I'm 18. I don't know why. Oh well.

~ RaNd0m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back