Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My Random Cards/Mechanics Thread

Archonn

To avoid flooding the CaC board with a different thread whenever i want to discuss a new mechanic or show a new card, i decided to create this very thread.

And to start, i present the Pokégym community with yet another (useless) mechanic: Traits! (alike my Experience one, shamelessly taken from L5R CCG)

It's very simple, actually. Traits are "other" characteristics of cards. Most Traits are only flavor, just describing pokedex info or a part of its personality. But three kinds of Traits may actually change the gameplay.

The first kind is the Reference ones. It's simple: Let's say that some pokémon of your set have the Male trait, and others have the Female trait. Some trainers may only affect the Male ones, while some may only affect the Female ones. Or maybe only the pokémons with the Horn trait may attach a Horn Drill TM. It's your choice!

The second kind is the Rulebook ones. For example, you may create a Legendary Trait, and say that all cards with the Legendary Trait have the following rule: "You may only have one copy of a card with the same name as this card in your deck." Just don't abuse this, or else players will have to constantly go back to the rulebook to remember what each Trait does!

The third kind, and the most important, is the Name Trait. You'll understand with a example...
Imagine the following pokémon name: Rocket's Dark Gyarados ex. You may instead write it this way:
Gyarados
Traits: Dark Pokémon * Rocket's Pokémon * Pokémon ex
Notice that you just converted the names in the pokémon to Traits, but, for any purposes, the pokémon's name is counted as everything in it's title plus the traits that have "Pokémon" in it. This means that only Pokémons may change their name into Traits.

Just as a last note, for those that do fake cards, Traits appear right above Poké-powers/bodies, and they are bolded. Check some L5R CCG cards if you want a better example.

I'll do some sample cards so everyone understand the concept better...

-------------------
Poison Dart
Trainer Card

If your Active pokémon has the Poisonous Trait, the Defending pokémon is now poisoned.
-------------------
Arbok // HP: 60 // Type: (G)
Stage 1 Pokémon -- Evolves from Ekans

Traits: Dark Pokémon * Poisonous

(G)(C) Strangle -- Base Damage: 0 -- Flip a coin. If heads, discard a energy from the Defending pokémon and it can't attack during your next turn (Benching or Evolving either pokémon ends this effect).
(G)(G)(G) Toxic Bite -- Base Damage: 10+ -- Flip a coin. If heads, this attack does 30 more damage and the Defending pokémon is now Poisoned. Put 2 damage counters instead of 1 on the Defending pokémon between turns.

Weakness: (P) // Resistance: None // Retreat Cost: (C)(C)
-------------------
Tentacruel // HP: 70 // Type: (W)
Stage 1 Pokémon -- Evolves from Tentacool

Traits: Poisonous * Fluid Body

Poké-Body: Dazzle Move -- Treat all Defending pokémon trying to attack Tentacruel as Confused. If a damage counter is placed in Tentacruel, put a Cut counter in Tentacruel. If Tentacruel has a Cut counter, this Poké-body stops working. Whenever a

pokémon with a Cut counter has a damage counter removed from it, remove all Cut counters in it.
(W) Jellyfish Escape -- Base Damage: 0 -- Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending pokémon is now Paralyzed. Either way, switch Tentacruel with one of your Benched pokémon, if any.
(W)(C)(C) 1000 Tentacles -- Base Damage: 60- -- This attack does 60 minus 10 for each damage counter in Tentacruel.

Weakness: (L) // Resistance: None // Retreat Cost: (C)(C)
-------------------
Gligar // HP: 50 // Type: (F)
Basic Pokémon

Traits: Poisonous * Flier

(F) Poison Sting -- Base Damage: 10 -- Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending pokémon is now Poisoned.
(F)(C) Paralyze Sting -- Base Damage: 20 -- Flip a coin. If heads, Defending pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness: (G) // Resistance: (F) - 30 // Retreat Cost: 0
-------------------
Pidgeotto // HP: 60 // Type: (C)
Stage 1 Pokémon -- Evolves from Pidgey

Traits: Flier

(C)(C) Reverse Fan -- Base Damage: 0 -- Choose one of your opponent's pokémon. Put two damage counters in it, then switch it with one of the Defending pokémon, if it isn't one.

Weakness: (L) // Resistance: (F) - 30 // Retreat Cost: (C)
-------------------
Aggron // HP: 120 // Type: (M)
Stage 2 Pokémon -- Evolves from Lairon

Traits: Carapace * Horn

(F)(C) Dual Horn -- Base Damage: 30x -- Flip two coins. This attack does 30 times the number of heads.
(M)(C)(C) Iron Tackle -- Base Damage: 30 -- Flip a coin. If heads, no damage counter may be placed in Aggron during your opponent's next turn.
(M)(M)(F)(C)(C) Earth Stomp -- Base Damage: 100 -- This attack does 100 damage to all Defending and Active pokémon, except those who have either the Carapace Trait or Flier Trait.

Weakness: (R) // Resistance: (G) - 30 // Retreat Cost: (C)(C)(C)(C)
-------------------
Hide in Shell
Trainer Card

If your Active pokémon has either the Carapace Trait or Shell Trait, put two damage counters in it. If this doesn´t Knock Out it, prevent all effects of an attack, including damage, during your opponent's next turn.
-------------------
Volt Catfish's Whiscash // HP: 90 // Type: (M)/(W)
Stage 1 Pokémon -- Evolves from Volt Catfish's Barboach

Traits: Maverick * Egg Breed * Volt Catfish Personal Bodyguard * Heavyweight

(W)(C) Water Gun -- Base Damage: 30
(F)(C) Body Quake -- Base Damage: 20 -- Until the end of your opponent's next turn, any effect that would bench a pokémon does not happen.
(L)(L)(L) Tri-Thunder -- Base Damage: 30x -- Flip three coins. This attack does 30 damage times the number of heads. If two or more coins are heads, the Defending pokémon is now Paralyzed. If all coins are tails, Volt Catfish's Whiscash deals 20 damage to itself. Any effect that refers to an attack named Spark is valid for this attack.

Weakness: (G) // Resistance: None // Retreat Cost: (C)(C)
-------------------
St. Evans' False Beliefs
Special Energy Card

Traits: Illusion * Deathevn Power Source

Provides (C) energy. You may only attach this card to a pokémon that already has at least one Energy card attached to it. When St. Evans' False Beliefs is attached to a pokémon, choose two other Energy cards (One if there is only one) attached to this pokémon. Attach them to one of your pokémon, excluding this one, that may legally attach the chosen energies.
-------------------
Sparkster
Trainer Card (Supporter)

Traits: Forgotten Konami Hero * Rocket Knight Elite

The next two times a player is going to flip a coin, and if one of the results prevents all effects of an attack, including damage, you may choose the result of the coin flip.
-------------------

These ten cards should do the job. Just for the record, Volt Catfish is one of the Mavericks from Mega Man X3. St. Evans(Eva) is the villain of Breath of Fire 2. And Sparkster is originary from Rocket Knight Adventures (Genesis) and the sequel, Sparkster (Genesis/SNES).

And that's it... for now. Comments/questions about the mechanic or the cards are welcome (i'm pretty sure that Earth Stomp is ridiculously broken, but it is just a sample, so...). I'll try to keep this thread always updated with my ideas for CaCing.

Since these were off-limits for Norman in dkates' Hoenn Gym Leaders set, i guess i'll repost them there...

-------------------
Norman's Azurill // HP: 50 // Type: (C)
Basic Pokémon

Poké-Power: Baby Evolution -- Once during your turn, you may put Norman's Marill onto Norman's Azurill (This counts as evolving Norman's Azurill) and remove all damage counters from Norman's Azurill.
(C) Father's Love -- Base Damage: 0 -- Search your deck for a pokémon with either Azurill, Marill or Azumarill in their name , reveal it to your opponent, and put it in your hand (Shuffle your deck afterwards). If you do, the next time a damage counter would be placed in Norman's Azurill, you may instead move it to one of your pokémons with either Marill or Azumarill.

Weakness: (F) // Resistance: None // Retreat Cost: (C)
-------------------
Norman's Eevee // HP: 60 // Type: (C)
Basic Pokémon

Poké-Body: Hoenn Charity -- Pokémons that evolve from Flannery's Eevee, Wattson's Eevee, Wallace's Eevee, Tate & Liza's Eevee or Sidney's Eevee may evolve from this pokémon.
(C) Sand-Attack -- Base Damage: 0 -- Flip a coin. If heads, prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done by the Defending pokémon (Benching either pokémon ends this effect).
(C)(C)(C) Full Charge -- Base Damage: 30

Weakness: (F) // Resistance: (P) - 30 // Retreat Cost: (C)
-------------------

And a new mechanic -- Strongholds! Yet another from L5R CCG. Actually, it's a trainer card type, to be more precise. The rule for it is the following:

"You may only have 1 Stronghold in your deck. Strongholds do not count for your maximum deck size. Before deciding who goes first, if you have a Stronghold in your deck, search for it and place it in play. A Stronghold cannot leave play."

Nice, don't you think? For those who know actual Stronghold cards from L5R CCG or Vanguard cards from Magic, it's pretty much the same thing. Some good examples will make you understand. Then i'll tell the basic guidelines for one.

-------------------
Open Plains
Trainer Card (Stronghold)

[Stronghold Rule]

Your Bench may contain an unlimited number of pokémon. All attacks peformed by your pokémon cost (C) more.
-------------------
Helpers Recovery Device IV

[Stronghold Rule]

Your pokémon with Iris or Double in their names have +20 HP. Your pokémon pay (C) more to retreat.
-------------------
Reconstructed Alph

[Stronghold Rule]

The Unown Rule doesn't apply to you. Before you shuffle your deck for the first time in this game, as often as you like, you may replace any card in your deck with a card with Unown in its name. If you ever have more than seven cards in your hand, discard cards until you have exactly seven cards in your hand.
-------------------
Ambush Field

[Stronghold Rule]

You decide who goes first (If there is another effect like this in play, flip a coin to decide what effect resolves). Your pokémon pay (C) less to retreat. Your pokémon have -10 HP.
-------------------
Professors Conference Center

[Stronghold Rule]

Between turns, when your turn was the last, count the number of cards in your hand. Then, shuffle your hand into your deck and draw the counted number of cards.
-------------------

As you might have seen, they offer a good effect and a bad one. If they only had the good effect, then no one would play without a Stronghold!

If these Strongholds aren't well-balanced (If the bad effect doesn't compensate the good one, or vice-versa), or if you spot a grammar error, please post it and i'll try to correct the error.

Now there's just one more random card and this post is over!

-------------------
Mana Burn Stadium
Trainer Card (Stadium)
Between turns, for each pokémon, count the number of energies attached to it, then count the number of energies required to use the attack with the highest energy cost. For each pokémon, subtract the first number counted this way from the second number counted this way, then place a number of damage counters equal to the result, if positive. All energies attached to a pokémon gain the following ability: "During your turn, you may discard this energy."
-------------------

Easy to understand; say that in play there's a Sandstorm Ludicolo with 4 (W) energies attached to it, a Jungle Exeggutor with 2 Double Colorless attached to it, an Emerald Pikachu with one (L) energy attached to it, and a Mana Burn Stadium. Between turns, the following will happen:

Ludicolo has 4 energies, and his most priced attack only costs 3 energies. 4-3=1. It will have 1 damage counter placed in it between turns.
Poor Exeggutor has 4 energies too (even if it has only 2 energy cards), but all of his attacks cost 1, so... 4-1=3. It will have 3 damage counters placed in it between turns.
Pikachu, in the other hand, only has 1 energy, while his most costly attack is 2 energies. 1-2=-1. Since the result isn't positive, Pikachu takes no damage at all.

I told you it was easy to understand. But the wording seems too complicated for such a simple effect. Anyone knows how to simplify the card?

EDIT: Toned down Mana Burn Stadium; now it's possible to discard any unwanted energy. Just for clarification, the controller of the energy must read the ability, thus making the controller the one that may discard his/her energy.

Last edited:
First, i had an idea for a FF7 card, that was left out of Carrington388's set due to being hard to translate it to card rules. But i (or at least it seems so) managed to do it!

-------------------
Independent Materia: HP<->MP
Trainer Card
Choose one of your pokémon. Attach a number of HP Swapped tokens to it equal to its printed HP, divided by ten. HP Swapped tokens counts as Energy cards, and they have the following text: "While in play, HP Swapped provides every kind of energy, but only provides 1 at a time." Then, for the rest of the game, the chosen pokémon's printed HP becomes the number of nontoken Energy cards attached to it, multiplied by ten.
-------------------

It's quite the suicidal card... Useful when you want to Knock Out someone and cannot wait, because it may evolve or something like that. Just make sure your pokémon has at least 1 Energy card attached to it and full life (or 2 cards and 1 damage counter, and so on), or else it will die. The only real drawback is that HP<->MP only counts the number of Energy cards, so a "Double" energy will always provide 10 HP...

And here comes what i think that it's my "randomest" cards ever!

-------------------
Shahrazad
Trainer Card (Supporter)
Both players play a new game with their current deck, even if it hasn't 60 cards in it. The player that wins this game draws half of his or her prizes, rounded up. Resume the main game afterwards.
-------------------
Shahrazad, Another
Trainer Card (Supporter)
Choose a Trading Card Game, other than POKÈMON, that both you and your opponent can play, then play a game of it with your opponent. Before this game starts, your opponent may decide to have you use his or her cards, and use your cards instead of you. The player that wins this game draws half of his or her prizes, rounded up. Resume the main game afterwards.
-------------------

When i say random, i say random. Some reminder text for Shahrazad... The new game you play must be a Pokémon TCG one. Any player loses if: a) Has not enough cards for his starting hand / b) Has no basic pokémon in the current deck / c) Cannot place the 6 prizes because his deck has not enough cards. Check the loss conditions in that order. If both players lose due the same condition, the Shahrazad game is a draw and no player draws a Prize. Last reminder: The Shahrazad game does not affect the main game in any way other than giving its winner the free prizes.

Some reminders for Shahrazad, Another: You can only play a TCG that you know the rules and have access to the cards of it somehow. And the "Opponent Switch" line is there so that, if you only have a powerful deck and a pathetic deck, your opponent chooses with what deck you play. If that line wasn't there, it would be too easy to abuse Shrazad, Another.

If you have any other doubts/corrections about these three cards, feel free to post/PM me.

Back