Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My son's first battle road - need a little help

Status
Not open for further replies.

EddieFreak

So my 8 year old will be playing in his first Battle Road this Saturday. He'll be using a Garchomp deck. Here's the list:

Pokemon (20):
4-3-4 Garchomp (good Chomp)
3-3 Altaria
3 Emolga (CFF)

Supporters (11):
4 N
2 Prof. Juniper
2 Bianca
3 Cheren

Items (18 )
4 Catcher
4 Rare Candy
4 Level Ball
2 Ultra Ball
2 Switch
2 Super Rod

Energy (11)
7 Fighting
4 Blend

We're aiming for consistency in his deck. He's really good and one of the best players in his league (regardless of age). My main question is regarding the supporter line. Previously we ran 4 N, 4 Juniper, 4 Bianca, but we only had 3 Catchers. He went 4-1 at league last week before we changed it to what we have now. We were hoping to test today at league but were unable to attend. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance Poke-dad Eddie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you can reduce the rare candy down to 2 or 3 as you'll want to evolve thru gabite most of the time. ultra ball may not be neccessary either as you have plenty of search with dragon call and level ball. I suggest some tool scrappers and maybe 4-4 altaria line.

There's actually some decent things to do. You can joke around and play random tech-cards as your son will play in the Juniors Division which I hate to say it, but in Battle Roads, most of the Juniors are going to be playing Theme decks or decks with no synergy at all. After what everyone suggests stuff, take your personal preferences and just go our there and destroy the competition as there will be rarely anyone that will even stand a chance. Tell your 8 year-old son that I wish him good luck. :thumb:

-2 Rare Candy
-2 Ultra Ball

+1 Fighting Basic energy
+1 Swablu
+1 Altaria/Switch/Terrakion NV
+1 Prof. Juniper

As mentioned before I think you only really need 2 rare candy since your son's gabites will be more beneficial to the set up of his deck. I suggest 1 more Swablu for insurance. Another Altaria would be good for consistency but optional, another switch is good for consistency (Using energy attachments for Altaria to retreat is annoying), Terrakion is great against Darkrai and already uses fighting energy (All 3 of these are optional). Another juniper for consistency and I feel like 2 is too little.

I probably wouldn't play the 2 Ultra Ball...discarding choices can get tough for younger players. I would play 2 more Supporters that he wants (bumping up Cheren, Bianca, or Juniper are all good choices) and than I also think the 4th Candy is unneeded as well. I would suggest a 4th Swablu or Emolga. All of these will keep with your "consistency" idea as well.

since this is a BR then put in a terrakion just so he may learn (If he doesn't allready) the value of tech cards, that they can help him alot but also hurt him alot if they are used against him

He took second place! Thanks for all the help and suggestions. He went into his last match 3-0 and lost to a quad Entei EX deck. He beat a Darkrai/Hydragion, some theme like deck with zekrom, and some deck with emboar/chandelure/reshiram.

Now he wants to go to every Battle Road!

Thanks again for everyones input,
Poke-dad Eddie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back