Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

My VGC team: Surprise Exploding Heatran!

Garch

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
Since the rules fo VGC now let you use ubers, this team is obsolete. I used it for all my games in the Pokegym D/P/T doubles tournament (except one, which went... wierd) and got second place. It's an original idea, as I thought of everything myself. It's made for Lv.50 Doubles. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact EV's, so the ones posted are as best I can remember them. On to the team:

Heatran, Hasty
Item: Choice scarf
EV's: 252 SP, 100 AT, 152 SA
Moves:
Flamethrower
Dragon Pulse
Earth Power
EXPLOSION

Stratagy:
The main move here is Explostion. Choice Scarf let's you go before most anything, getting that surprise explosion in, usualy taking out half your opponent's team without them doing anyting! This works very well with it's starting team mate, Yanmega. Yanmega protects, Heatran Explodes. It's that easy! :thumb: This strategy relies on it's surprise, as not many people see explosion comming. Looking back on it, I wish I had put more EV's into attack, sine it's so focused on explosion.

The other moves are for situations in wich it would be unwise to use explosion. Example: A ghost opponent. For that you hit it with flamethrower, or attack it's partner. Earth Power is mainly for metal/rock pokemon, as Explosion (obviously) doesn't do much to them.

Yanmega, Modest
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Speed boost
EV's: 252 SA, 252 SP, 4 HP
Moves:
Bug Buzz
Air Slash
Protect
Hypnosis

I chose Yanmega because it was the best thing I could find to benifit from Heatran's explosion. After one speed boost Yanmega out-speeds many double battle threats, like Latias and Latios. That's why I use a modest nature, as the speed boost from timid doesn't do anything extra. Bug buzz will always OHKO a Latios, provided it isn't SD trained or have Focus Sash/ Tanga Berry, which is obviously very useful seeing as Lati@s is very prominent in VG doubles.

Air Slash is a good STAB move with a chance to flinch. Seeing as, after a speed bost, Yanmega is faster than most anythin, this efect can be put to very good use. Hypnosis is there for the 60% chance to hax one of the opponents pokemon out of the game, which has proved game winning at times.

Latios, Timid
Item: Haban Berry/ Lum Berry
EV's: 252 SP, 252 SA, 4 HP
Moves:
Psychic
Ice Beam
Hidden Power Fire
Protect

Latios is just so good! My main Garchomp killer, Ice Beam OHKO's Garchomp without Yache Berry. Haban berry is used to take a Dragon claw Garchomp throws at you if it has a Yache Barry, and is my item of choice, although lum is useful for Dark Void smeargul. Psychic is a nice STAB move, and I lucked into HP fire, which can be used for taking out Abomasnow, which would otherwise OHKO you with Blizzard. Other pokemon HP fire helps with are Scizor and Metagross. Protect is used ether to stall or to go with my second exploder and my fourth pokemon, Metagross.

Metagross, Adamant
Item Occa Berry
EV's: 252 AT, ~100-150 HP, ~100-150 DF
Moves:
Explosion
Bullet Punch
Ice Punch
Earthquake

Metagross is the heavy hitter for the team. He's mainly used to finish anything Heatran's Explosion didn't KO (e.g, Focus Sash) with bullet punch. I don't know whay I chose Ice punch, but it is very useful for hitting Zapdos, usualy taking of at least 50% of Zapdos's HP. Metagross's only weaknesses are ground and fire, and since fire is more often seen as a special attack than ground, and Metagross is already physicaly bulky, I chose occa berry to get that extra defense against fire. Earthquake works well, as Metagross is almost never out with Heatran, and both the other pokemon fly. Explosion is a last resort end all. Protect Latios, and finish the game with explostion. Metagross's attack is much higher than heatran, letting it take out much more bulky pokemon with explosion than Heatran can.

Strategy: Exploed Heatran while protecting Yanmega. Yanmega's speed bost make's it faster than most anything else. If something survived Heatran's Explosion send in Metagross and finish it with bullet punch. Sweep there last two pokemon useing meatgross, yanmega, and latios.

Problems:

Fake out:
If you think there is a chance that an opponent's pokemon could use fake out on heatran, switch to something else! If heatran is flinched, it will show it when he would normaly move, and. if your opponent is smart, they will know that it has a scarf! After a fake out, they may gang attack heatran and KO it before it has a chance to do anything.

Trick room:
"Yanmega's Speed Boost lowered it's speed!"... That's what it SHOULD say when Trick Room is around. There's not much you can do against Trick room, except Hypno-hax there trick room pokemon, which usualy has a Lum/Chesto berry, anyway. You can try to stall out the trick room with Protect, and by-pass it with Bullet punch. This is deffenentaly not a team you want to see.

Protect:
When one or both of the opponent's pokemon use protect on turn one and Heatran Explodes, it's a big waste. If you can tell when a protect is comming, get heatran out of there. Otherewise, it's just as anoying as it is to anyone else. Be careful, and try to avoid hitting a protected pokemon.

Ghost leads:
These are anoying as it makes it useless to start with explosion. In this situation, just play without the benifit of explosion. That's why Heatran has other attacks!

All in all, my surprise Exploding Heatran lead has tricked a lot of people. They never expect the Scarf and end up lossing one or two of their useful pokemon. This team relies on surprise, because if your opponent knows it's comming it's easy to avoid it.

Please, ask questions, and let me know what you think of my team! :thumb:

Back