Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

National merit scholarship question

Gir

I'm utterly confused. On Monday my guidance counselor told me that I was a National merit scholarship semifinalist because of my junior year psat scores. I got a 191, but I did some research and it seems like a lot of the cutoffs are in the 200s.

And none of my friends got it even though some of them got higher scores than I did. Now some of them are kinda irritated at me even though I don't even know why I'm a semifinalist. And when I asked my counselor she just said it was because of my psat scores. So can anyone explain this?

perhaps you averaged all sections must more evenly while keeping a high score while some people had a high score but were low and a certain section and made up for it with a high in another section.

Just a theory

That might be it; I got 62, 65, and 64 on the three sections.

EDIT: Could it maybe be the sponsor? I forgot that this was through my dad's work, BP Foundation. So if I was the highest out of the people who applied through thee, would that be the reason ?

Last edited:
They take into consideration things like ethnicity.

We have a very, very racist education system in place. You need lower scores to receive the same scholarships if you're black, for example.

Let's not even get started on the whole testing with ethnicity thing. Those stupid tests that you take in the first/second grade are so racist it's not even funny. Problem is, it's perfectly legal. :/

I would check and see what score she actually has on file for you. Plus, the cutoff is different each year.

My little brother always checks off "African American" when he fills out those tests (He's white).

I'm going to laugh when he gets some scholarship for being "African American."

he may not be required to give that info, but i'm fairly sure that he IS required to have the info he _does_ supply be accurate/truthful...=/

'mom

If Michael Jackson is really black on the inside, isn't my brother just as black as he is?

As the robot at the ice cream bar said in SpongeBob Squarepants "You cannot hide what's inside."

if he does get into trouble, more than likely he will, it will go down on his record. i wouldnt be surprise if it does happen, and the joke wont be funny anymore

A university will care if he puts down an ethnicity that he is not, especially if they have to report having certain benchmark numbers to maintain funding, endorsements, etc.

So will a union, and many, many other things. It's really just a bad idea. It's a stupid form of protest. What's it really doing?

I think that he did it right on the actual college applications, it's just all of the standardized testing.

If he puts two different elasticities on the SAT and his college applications, what will they think? :eek:

Gee, is this guy white, black, Aleutian Islander, or Martian.

Considering it's my brother, I'm betting they'll think he's Martian.

it depends on what state your from. my brother got a 211 last year, but he wasnt a semifinaliust because hte state of texas had a high cutoff

The cut off is about 215 give or take 5 points every year. If you made it in with a 191 then congrats, but something may be wrong. I would double check just in case.

Ixidor, your brother can get into serious trouble if colleges find out. The reason is that there are certain scholarships that only African Americans can qualify for, and also that different standards apply in some academic tests for African Americans.

I'd kind of doubt that he could get into any trouble unless he actually tried to claim the money. If you think about it, he's basically fine unless he tries to claim the money because he could always just say that he bubbled in the wrong thing on accident.

And I really hope that standardized tests aren't giving extra points to African Americans.

They do not give extra points, but the scores needed to qualify for certain benefits are lower. Some colleges have lower standards for African Americans because of "affirmative action." Some African Americans love it because it helps them overcome "racist" America, and others hate it because it is essentially saying that African American students need a handicap in order to compete with students of different ethnic backgrounds. A friend of mine finds it really offensive because he got a 2390 on the SAT, so he thinks that the idea of affirmative actions is absurd.

Yeah, the idea is that they're trying to encourage more African Americans to go to college by accepting them at lower scores, I think.

On that note, wouldn't it be ironic if your friend said that and the test DID give bonus points to African Americans? :lol:

They definitely do not do that. They could not get away with it because of the detailed score report you receive when you take the SAT. It basically lists all the questions you got right, and all the ones you got wrong. He got one wrong on the Critical Reading section, so he got a 790. Everything else was perfect.

The College Board cannot mess with your scores, but schools can make "exceptions" for certain students. It would be really ironic, but the College Board would get into way too much trouble.

Back