Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

HGSS-on Nats ReshiFlow! Need advice from someone who's tested extensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SanguineYeti

Hey Guys. This deck is what I'm planning on using for Nats, as it has a great donphan matchup, sets up quicker and more consistantly than Magnezone (at least for me; just the way I draw and shuffle I suppose), and has some gnarly plays with Junk Arm/Pluspower/Juniper.

Pokeemanz: 21
3-3-3 Typhlosion
2-2 Ninetales
4 Reshiram
4 Cleffa

Supporters: 12
4 Elm
4 Juniper
4 Collector

Trainers: 15

4 Communication
4 Pluspower
4 Junk Arm
2 Switch
1 Circulator

Energy: 12
12 Fire Energy

What do you Think about dropping one cleffa for a Tyrogue? Opening with Cleffa is just SO boss with this deck.. I mean.. unless the opponent opens with a Tyrogue of their own x/
Also, I'm not sure about the 4 Elms. It is consistant, but i've considered dropping one. What would be an option to replace it with? I've considered energy retrieval and especially revive. and even a fifth pluspower, cause those are just too boss this format (;

Last edited:
I have no playtesting experience with this sort of set up, but from the looks of it you may want to add in the 1 Tyrogue to knock out opposing babies if that instance occurs on turn one.

3 Cleffas and 4 Collectors gives you a good chance of finding things you need to help get set up. Though I would suggest dropping an Elm for a Twins. Since you're going to want to be starting with Cleffa, and most likely will start off down in prizes, it will give you a good opportunity to get some specific things to respond and rebuild to get going.

Just my opinion, like I said, I haven't tested with Reshiram or Typhlosion.

You could drop the Circulator for another switch, by doing so, you could use the extra one, it will help you switch out Reshiram for a baby to stall if needed, honestly, I would drop 1 Collector, 2 Elm for 3 Sage, because you can toss the energy's in the discard to grab with Typhlosion. It's just an idea, but it seems to work.

I would suggest dropping an Elm for a Twins.

I don't know how i feel about the 1 of Twins, it's like.. late game total deadness and early game useless too, unless i miss my opportunity to set up entirely, and midgame it'd be great, but with only 1 of.. i just don't know. but i Definately am considering dropping a cleffa for the exact reason you mentioned.

---------- Post added 06/23/2011 at 05:19 PM ----------

You could drop the Circulator for another switch, by doing so, you could use the extra one, it will help you switch out Reshiram for a baby to stall if needed, honestly, I would drop 1 Collector, 2 Elm for 3 Sage, because you can toss the energy's in the discard to grab with Typhlosion. It's just an idea, but it seems to work.

Thanks, I didn't even consider Sage.. it's worth testing at least. Specially since i have junk arms to get discarded trainers.
The Circulator is very important in taking out opposing sleeping babies. i've found it to be invaluable in testing.

Am I the only one noticing that he is missing rare candies?

-1 Quilava
-1 Cleffa
-4 Elm's

+3 Rare Candy
+1 Tyrogue
+1 Lost Remover
+1 Energy Retrieval/Flower Shop Lady

Just like the one Circulator, having one Lost Remover and/or Energy Retrieval really helps you since you have a high Junk Arm count. I do prefer Sage's Training over Juniper as you can grab the energy/pokemon that you need and then Junk Arm the trainers that you discarded when you need them. Though I wouldn't run both with nintales as that would be an easy way to deck out. You could also try to replace Collector with Dual Balls and then fit in PONTS for some more speed.

@ Cyber King
Thanks for the suggestions. Those are some interesting tidbits for sure.
Do you really think removing all 4 Elm is a good idea though? Grabbing the ninetales is very important.
What major threats heading into nationals does the lost remover really help against? Not too worried about tyranitar i don't think. and it has a pretty solid donchamp matchup already.
The only reason i don't use the candy is for a consistancy issue. if i'm sittin there with a cyndaquil benched and a candy in hand that i eeek'd into last turn, and i want to eeek/juniper this turn, it's just highly inconvenient. it's not quite as explosive, but more reliable to have those candies be cyndaquils. But it's definately something to test. i know it works magic in magneboar.

Am I the only one noticing that he is missing rare candies?

reading all posts usually helps in answering questions like these.

if you have two rare canies, you can juniper one, play elms for an emboar, junk arm the rare candy and start, doing the fandango.
I believe that it makes you more versatile and you're not giving up an arm and a leg for it, just a pinkie and that weird mole on your back

test it, see what you like, play your style man, whatever you choose good luck at nats :)

Thanks man. That's a very true statement.. except i'll actually be afterburnering xD
thanks for the advice though guys, and it's DEFINATELY something I'll be testing. Good luck at nats yaself! (if you're going)

---------- Post added 06/25/2011 at 04:59 PM ----------

Well, i AMMM giving an "-arm" for it, so-to-speak ;D

I have personally played with Reshiphlosion, so maybe I can help...

Going off the list you have...

-2 Quilava (use Rare Candies in place of these... I suggest 2-3, but keep that lone Quilava in, as there are times when you can Elms/Communication into Typhlosion Prime through the stage 1 more ffectively... RCs are generally more reliable for speed, though)
-2 Cleffa (4 is way too many, especially when you need other valuable additions as I will outline later... 2 is plenty, as you should only have to Eeek early game, and they're easily searchable early game through Collectors and Communications. They're dead draws late game due to Ninetales giving you a huge hand to work with)
-2 Juniper (As personal preference, I actually favor PONT for extra protection from accidently decking myself, but whether you go with PONT or Juniper, 2 is all you need. You have no need to concentrate so much on draw power when Ninetales is taking care of that for you, already.)
-2 Elms (4 is overkill when you have 4 Communications and a plentiful supply of Junk Arms. Whwether you use 2 or 3 is up to personal preference. I currently use 3, but I'm considering going for 2. Don't know what I would want in its place, though.)
-2 Junk Arms (4 makes you dead draw fairly often early game. 2 is sufficient (sp?) with Ninetales draw power)
-1 Pokemon Circulator (If this is just for lucky baby pokemon, it's a waste. In none of my matchups have thios been necessary. Babies are generally a nuisance rather than a threat and aren't usually going to win the game based off a lucky coin flip for sleep.)
-2 Pluspowers (Four is a bit much when you have 2 or more Junk Arms, but that's just a personal rant. For now, take out a couple and concentrate on your consistency. Then you can see about adding them back in later.)

Total taken out: 13

+2 Rare Candy (see Quilava above)
+3 Revive (These are VITAL for chaining Reshirams, especially in the mirror. Without Revives, you greatly limit your late-game potential. You don't want to be stuck with Typhlosion Prime or Ninetales as you only remaining attacker. You need your options.)
+2 Twins (Whether it's Reshiboar or Reshiphlosion, both share a similiar flaw, they take a little time to set-up. You'll need Twins help against the likes of faster decks like Zekrom and Donphan/Yanmega Prime. Worse comes to worse, you can always use them as Junk Arm fodder when you don't need them.)
+3 Energy Retrieval (A must, even though this isn't Reshiboar. This GREATLY helps with your Roast Reveal discards. This, plus Junk Arms and Interviewer's Questions helps you recover from unwanted Judges.)
+2 Interviewer's Questions (For Roast Reveal fodder. This can help you keep up your drawing when you lack an energy or an Energy Retrieval. As said above, this also help with recovering from a Judge.)

Total put in: 12

Other possibilities:
- Rescue Energies (Not required, but it's another form of recovery that can be used alongside Revive to help preserve your Junk Arms for needed Energy Retrievals. It's helped me quite a bit, as they also serve as extra energy, allowing me to save the fire energies for Roast Reveals.)

Personal notes:
- Ninetales is your #1 priority to set up early game. From there, you can draw into the supporters and trainers you need to set-up your Reshiram sweep/chain. Yes, this means RCing into Typhlosion, too. Trsut me, it's much easier than it seems. The constant drawing is exactly why I only suggest 2 Pluspowers, Junk Arms, RC, etc. Energy Retrieval could also be on that list if you desire.
- Like Reshiboar, you will typically find yourself with a large hand when you're set up and attacking. Be mindful of late game Roast Reveals, especially if you opt Juniper. You don't want to deck yourself.
- In reply to your thoughts about Tyrogue, I say no. Reshiram's Outrage will do the job after one Afterburner from Typhlosion. Pluspower is also obviously there as another choice, too, but you typically want to save those for when they really count, especially against Reshiboar.
- Speaking of Reshiboar, this is the only matchup I see where a max set of Pluspowers can drastically help. This matchup will probably be unfavorable for you due to the fact that Afterburner is your form of energy acceleration, thus placing you in the unideal position of being one-shotted by opposing Blue Flares. Get to those Pluspowers fast.
- Samugatr is another problem. Type advantage while you struggle to KO Samurott is bad news. Personally, I have yet to find a way around this matchup.

I hope this helped. Pardon my wall-of-text. x.o

Last edited:
I would rather run 4 reversals for disruption and ko who you want. and try and speed the deck up a bit.
+3 Rare Candies
-1 Circiuator
-4 Elms (you run communication)
+2 Professor oaks new theory
+4 Pokemon Reversals
-2 Cleffa
+1 Tyrogue
-2 Junipers
+2 Sage's Training
-1 Junk Arm
Change Typhlsion to 3-1-3 (since you play candies

Last edited:
Thank you so much for taking the time to be so in depth, Wes! And, it's really awsome that you've played with reshiphlosion yourself.
The reason I run Juniper over Oak is primarily a matter of digging for Junk Arms and PlusPowers. I've personally found that the ability to go super turbo-boost-the-reshirams-with-pluspowers is a huge trick move for this deck mid-late game. it takes out RDLs, machamps, even tyranitars/samurott, but MOST importantly; Donphans and Magnezones, in one major hit, and generally puts the opponent in a sticky situation. It really, in my opinion, is what the deck needs in order to keep up with the huge hits other decks are capable of.
Now, i ABSOLUTELY agree with concentrating on consistancy, and i can DEFINATELY see dropping an elm and a cleffa, after more testing.
I DO have a question about the fixes though. (and i'll definately be testing out your great suggestions regardless):
you did say "concentrate on your consistancy", yet the things that you've changed seem, just to me personally, to DETRACT from consistancy. How are the rare candies more consistant than having an actual card to evolve into, especially with cleffas that want to eek away the rest of a hand, or a juniper that wants to discard? I know the junk arms help with this in the case of the junipers, but i've found cleffa eek's to be HUGELY important for this deck early game.
Now, that said, i absolutely agree with the Revive philosophy, and i'm about to test out the rare candy premise presently.

Thank you so much for taking the time to be so in depth, Wes! And, it's really awsome that you've played with reshiphlosion yourself.
The reason I run Juniper over Oak is primarily a matter of digging for Junk Arms and PlusPowers. I've personally found that the ability to go super turbo-boost-the-reshirams-with-pluspowers is a huge trick move for this deck mid-late game. it takes out RDLs, machamps, even tyranitars/samurott, but MOST importantly; Donphans and Magnezones, in one major hit, and generally puts the opponent in a sticky situation. It really, in my opinion, is what the deck needs in order to keep up with the huge hits other decks are capable of.
Now, i ABSOLUTELY agree with concentrating on consistancy, and i can DEFINATELY see dropping an elm and a cleffa, after more testing.
I DO have a question about the fixes though. (and i'll definately be testing out your great suggestions regardless):
you did say "concentrate on your consistancy", yet the things that you've changed seem, just to me personally, to DETRACT from consistancy. How are the rare candies more consistant than having an actual card to evolve into, especially with cleffas that want to eek away the rest of a hand, or a juniper that wants to discard? I know the junk arms help with this in the case of the junipers, but i've found cleffa eek's to be HUGELY important for this deck early game.
Now, that said, i absolutely agree with the Revive philosophy, and i'm about to test out the rare candy premise presently.
My pleasure. I'm glad you found it informative.

In my matches, yes, I do agree with that Cleffas really help the early game setup. The reason I recommended to take out 2 of the 4 Cleffas, though, is that one of the biggest mistakes you can make in a deck is OVER-emphisizing your starts. This causes your deck to be over-cluttered and thus limits its late-game potential. It's also worth noting that there are 10 cards in the deck that can either lead to a Cleffa or IS a Cleffa: 4 Pokemon Collector, 4 Pokemon Communications, and 2 Cleffa. That's 1/6'th of your deck right there, and all you need is just ONE of those cards to get the Cleffa out on turn one to start Eeek-ing. That's all you need. Those two deck slots that you saved by taking out 2 Cleffa can be better used for more the important late-game cards which the deck cannot survive long-term without, such as Revives and Energy Retrievals. That said, I have followed this philosophy with ALL of my HGSS-on decks, using only 2 Cleffas and no more. This has NEVER dampened their consistency. It only improves it, allowing it to consistently be a mid-late contender thank to no dead-draw Cleffas during that time, on top of the already very consistent early game. The change I recommended is based on my experience/success with such a structure.

Concerning Rare Candies, I completely understand where you're coming from. About 2 years ago, I had the same outlook towards Rare Candy. In fact, I disliked Stage 2s in general because of it. However, after trying it out for myself, I saw just how critcal the speed it provided was. In theory, you may think waiting one turn later is no big deal. However, the fact of the matter is that it IS a big deal. With fast decks like ZPS and Donphan/Yanmega, a deck like Reshiphlosion will be faced with early-game pressure. Each turn means a potential prize for the opponent in these scenarios, and that means you'll have a harder time in catching back up with each passing turn. The sooner you can get out key Stage 2s, the easier your comeback will be. This also means that you can use RC to get into Typhlosion instantly so you can Juniper afterwards rather than throw away that stage 2 that you otherwise wouldn't be able to place down, thus meaning a new hand of better possibilities that doesn't have to stress with missing that key Typhlosion. The bottom line? RC provides critical speed that any deck with a stage 2 pokemon needs. On a side note, RC can be Junk Arm'd, too, which I've found quite helpful in setting up my second Typhlosion, and that means that I can be prepared to execute my Reshi-chain all the more sooner against the likes of speedy Zekroms/stage 1s. Quilava, however, can't be Junk Arm'd, much less be recovered so easily.

Extra: A note-worthy tactic I tend to use when I do find myself facing early pressure is using Twins to search out RC and Typhlosion Prime (if I already have Ninetales up and running, of course). Also, there WILL be times where opting for the basic-stage1-stage2 approach will be far better. This is why that single lone Quilava is included. However, such cases will be few.

Extra #2: I actually run 3 RCs in my deck, but I will probably opt to take out 1 of them and an Elm's to allow room for a complete 4-PlusPower line-up. Feel free to up the count to 3 RCs if you find 2 to be too few for you. (Random irrelevent note: I used the entire two/to/too family there. lol)

Last edited:
With Communication @ 4, I'm confident you can drop and Elm for a Rare Candy. You can go as far as dropping 2 Elm and add 2 Rare Candies. There really is no excuse to play a 3-2-3 line and not play Rare Candy...you would rather use the Rare Candy to go straight into Typhlosion, then if you have Communicate/Junk Arm with Quilava (which will prolly happen a lot, same situation for me but with Pignite), you can use Quilava as fodder for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back