Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

NC States Report

Bug Boy

(First tourney report, advice welcome)

Ok, so after placing 2nd in Seniors at the VA states last weekend with Jumpluff, I thought I'd have another go with 'pluff. I made some modifications to it, and was ready to go. We picked up a friend on the way to the tournament, and drove 3 hours to Mooresville. We got there, registered, and waited for the rounds (5, with a top cut of 4) to begin...

Decklist
Jumpluff HGSS x 4
Skiploom SW x 2
Hoppip SW x 4
Cherrim AR x 2
Cherrim SF x 2
Cherubi SV x 4
Claydol GE x 2
Baltoy GE x 2
Nidoqueen RR x 1
Nidoran (female) RR x 1
Pachirisu GE x 1
Unown G GE x 1

Professor Elm x 4
Roseanne x 2
Pokemon Collector x 2
Rare Candy x 4
Night Maintenance x 2
Warp Point x 2
Pokeblower+ x 4

DCE x 1
Grass Energy x 9

Okay, so I went with a really weird list. It worked, though: as soon as it got set up, it ran great. I would normally start with one or two basics, and draw into basic fetching supporters in about two turns. Then I would get Baltoy and Pachirisu, and swarm with Pachi. Nidoqueen was there to counter Cursegar, which was rampant at SC States, but was non-existent here, apparently. Pachi also helped against Gyarados. All in all, it worked great, but I had some bad experiences with luck...

Round 1 vs. Gyarados
Normal start, one Cherubi with some Elms. Unfortunately, my other searching cards were nowhere to be found, so I rushed with Cherrim SF. He takes two turns to set up as I drew into my Pokemon Collectors. The turn after I swarmed, he got out a Gyarados and rampages through my pokemon. This is expected, though. After he drew two prizes, I got Claydol and Jumpluff. I pokeblowered up a benched Luxray GL, which was worrying me. He tried to OHKO my Jumpluff, but couldn't. We traded prizes for a while, and I eventually had to bring up a Cherrim to stall. He couldn't OHKO it, so I had some time to think: we each had a prize left, I still had Pachi up my sleeve, and I was 40 damage short of a win. I benched the Pachi and a Cherubi, which I evolved into Cherrim SF, and Cosmic Powered: I needed a pokeblower or a warp point. I topdecked the warp point and won. Great game. 1-0

Round 2 vs. Gyarados
Unown G start, but I had a pokemon collector. I had a good hand, and was confident until... he plays a magikarp, felicitys, discarding two more, and plays a sableye, impersonating a roseanne's for a regice and another magikarp. I die inside *sob*. He decimates all my pokemon with a topdecked Gyarados and poketurns, hitting all his SSU's. I crumble, and he scoffs at how bad I'm doing ( I couldn't keep up with a turn 2 fully powered Gyarados.) He apologizes afterward, though. 1-1

Round 3 vs. MachGar
I get a fantastic start, T2ing a Claydol with a host of Cherrims. I set up quickly, as he slowly evolved into Gengar, benching a Machoke. I Mass Attack the Gengar for 100, then flipped a heads on a pokeblower+next turn, KOing it. He brings up the Machoke which I Mass attack for the game. 2-1

Round 4 vs. MightiTank
I hadn't seen this in a while, and was surprised as the starts with a Poocheyana. A swarm of Uxies and trainers makes for the longest turn ever, and I decide to rush with Cherrim SF w/ Expert Belt. T3 or 4, I set up with a Jumpluff and a Claydol, and we begin trading prizes, he 2HKOing me, me OHKOing him. I dominated as more Cherrims come into play, and I won soon after. 3-1

Round 5 vs. LuxChomp
I get my worst start of the tournament, with a single Hoppip.:frown: I go first, and realized what was coming when he flipped over a Luxray GL.:eek: I can't play anything, and pass. He topdecks an Energy Gain, attaches an energy, and bites Hoppip.:redface: 3-2

I was pretty disappointed that I came all this way to be donked, but I got over it. I pull a Meganium Prime in my 7th place packs. The trip home was fun though: we got to stop at a McDonalds with a playground, and we had a ball (though we broke every single rule they posted).^^

Props
Fun Jumpluff deck
Nice first game
Great weather
Nice people
Mastering the Coin Game on Heartgold (level 7)

Slops
Donks
Gyarados
Scoffing:nonono:

All in all a fun, but not very productive, tournament. I'm glad I went.

Last edited:
Back