Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

ND- On "Plasma Sheep"

Kohdok

I don't have a deck list, but this was a cruel strategy I encountered at the League last week, made by a friend who used to run Eels.

The deck used Dragons Exalted Ampharos combined with Frozen City. Any time an energy card is attached from the hand to one of your opponent's Non-Plasma pokemon while Ampharos is active, they take 50 Damage! The deck was supported by Thundurus EX and Deoxys EX as well as Plasma Badges+ Colress Machine to get Ampharos up-and-running and dealing 90 damage with its attack. Since I didn't run a Plasma deck, it HURT. (Fortunately, I have Chandelure to give me a workaround, since it attaches from the deck).

Anyone have an idea of how this deck would be built? It used standard Plasma cards like Plasma Ball and Shadow Triad, along with Rare Candy, Ultra Ball, and at least two Flaffys.

let me give you a starting list

Pokemon 15

ampharos x4
flaffy x2
marsheep x4
deoxys EX x3 (easy when tins come out)
thundurus EX x2 (easy when tins come out)

Trainers 36
N x3
professor junifer x3
colress x3
plasma triad x 2
skyla x4

frozen city x4

rare candy x4
plasma badge x4
Colress Machine x4
plasma ball x2
level ball x2

ace spec slot x1

Energy 9
plasma x4
:lightning: x5

Very interesting deck concept. If I were to try to build something around Amphy and Frozen City, I might start with the following Pokémon (14):

3x Amphy. Need these to max your chances of having them when needed.

1x Flaaffy. Having the stage 1 Poké can be useful at times, but needs to be balanced with Rare Candy. Whether a player has a 4-1-4, 4-0-4, or 4-2-3 line oftentimes boils down to personal preference/playing style.

4x Mareep. These also need to be maxed out to ensure 2+ survives and can evolve into Ampharos.

2x Kyurem. These will proivde a counter to any annoying Landorus EX and is an excellent starter while you setup the Amphys. Also, Kyurem snipes an opponent's bench, just like Amphy too.

4x Deoxys EX. For additional damage output boost.

I've excluded Thundurus EX; for, IMHO, it is not really needed. But it could be more of a "nice to have."

For Trainers (34), I developed the following intiial list:

3x Colress
2x Colress Machine
1x Computer Search
3x Frozen City (a little heavy perhaps, but you need to win the Stadium "war")
4x N
2x Pokémon Catcher (eventhough there are 2 different sniping Poké in the deck, a 3rd Catcher might be nice to have too)
3x Professor Juniper
3x Rare Candy
2x Shadow Triad
1x Skyla (or Energy Search?)
1x Super Rod
3x Switch
2x TP Badge
2x TP Ball
2x Ultra Ball

Lastly, the energy (12) mix (especially considering not running Thundurus EX) is challenging given the deck's possible attackers; but I would start with the following, initial combination before making changes after some playtesting:

2x Double Colorless
3x Lightning
2x Plasma
2x Prism (should Deoxys EX be needed)
3x Water

Given your thoughts on your primary and secondary attackers, the Poké lineup (and associated energy mix) could easily change. For example, you could drop the Kyurems for Emolga (CfF). If so, you would not need the W energy or Prism, but maybe just a few P energy.

Should be a fun deck to play. I hope you find these comments helpful.

After assembling your deck and playtesting, I'd be curious to know how the deck performed against a Plasma deck. In those matchups, you'll have some "dead" cards.

Last edited:
Back