Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Need help making a competitive team in Pokémon White

pkmn202

Hi guys, I'm new to competitive Pokémon Black and White battling and would like to know some of the common strategies used and some good combos I can use. The format I'm going to be playing in is double battle, 4 on 4, Unova Pokémon only (except for the three digimon dragons, Victini, Meloetta, Keldeo and Genosect). I already know about Trick Room teams and the Whimsiscott + Terrakion combo, and would like to stray away as much as possible from them. Are there any other good combos/ strategies/ Pokémon I could use that don't require hardcore breeding or EV training? Please help.

Thanks in Advance!:thumb:
Pkmn202

Last edited:
After hours of research, I came up with this team:

Hydreigon

Ability: Levitate
Nature: Bashful
Item: ???

Roar
Rockslide
Flamethrower
U-Turn

Seismitoad

Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Quiet

Earthquake
Rockslide
Scald
Sludge Bomb

Sigilyph

Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Modest

Air Slash
Psychic
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball

Zebstrika

Ability: Lightningrod
Nature: Modest

Thunderbolt
Overheat
Thunderwave
Volt Switch

Seismitoad and Hydreigon will take the lead, Hydreigon is immune to earthquake, making him an ideal partner for Seismitoad. This combo can take on the Terrakion + Whimsicott combo with Hydreigon using Roar on Terrakion while Seismitoad uses Sludge Bomb on Whimsiscott. Chandelure can be stopped by either a Roar or a Scald. Thundurus can't do much to Seismitoad and can be easily KOed with a double Rock Slide. Sigilyph takes care of any bulky fighting types such as Conkeldurr, while Zebstrika covers his lightning weakness with Lightningrod and gets rid of Jellicent and other water or flying types and uses Overheat to get rid of annoying Amoongus'. In my opinion this team can take on most of the popular choices in the format.

Please comment on my team and please suggest some held items they can use.

Thanks in Advance!:thumb:
Pkmn202

Last edited:
No no no no no :nonono:

Bashful Hydregion isn't going to survive anything it's weakened to, not to mention Terrakion in your outlined strategy is going to OHKO him regardless if you run into the uncommon Whimsicott/Terrakion lead (that went out of style a bit ago) since Roar has negative priority, and Terrakion outspeeds him regardless; if I see just a mere Toad and Hydregion out, your Hydregion is going to eat a Sacred Sword since Toads generally won't be KOed by RS anyways. You can also come up with far better EQ users besides Seismitoad (who at best has rather poor-average stats). Sigilyph looks ok for a sweeper build (not really recommended), but he can offer so much more, like Tailwind and other fun tricks. Finally, Zebstrika...you're using a primarily physical sweeper as a special? Why are you nerfing his (already poor) capabilities? If you want either a special electric attacker or something else with Lightning Rod, there's far better choices...

In all honesty, I'd look up some actual strategies and start from scratch, as your current team you have outlined... :nonono:

I will also point out if you're going to VGCs at all, you're allowed to use all Pokemon besides the usual banned legendaries/ubers they have listed, so your pool is vastly larger compared to last year's BW only format.

Thanks for the reply Regis Neo, but it was a bit too late, the tournament I went to has already finished (I lost first round :frown:). And it wasn't VGC, as Australia doesn't have VGC, just a competition with prizes. The match was surprisingly quite close, I managed to defeat my opponent's Braviary, Cobalion and Volcarona, but my last Pokémon was OHKOed by a Stone Edge from a Gigalith left at half HP (who could've been KOed with another Psychic). I ended up using the following items:

Hydreigon - Expert Belt
Seismitoad - Scope Lens
Sigilyph - Razor Claw
Zebstrika - Zap Plate

I know there are better item choices but I was quite limited due to not having commonly used items such as Focus Sash (for Zebstrika) and Life Orb (for Sigilyph).

I agree my team was quite weak, but I did only have a few days to prepare it, so I guess I did quite well. Sigilyph and Zebstrika are pretty fragile and both were OHKOed (Zebstrika by a Fiery Dance from a Volcarona after a Quiver Dance).

Although the competition is over, I would still like to know some good strategies/ combos I can use (other than Trick Room teams and Whimsicott + Terrakion).

And yes, Regis Neo, you're right, the Terrakion + Whimsicott combo is old and wasn't used much in the competition, but I was expecting it due to seeing it a lot in the last competition (a few months ago).

So, I'm still beginner at competitive battling and I would really like some help.

Thanks,
Pkmn202

Well, since this site is apparently legal here, I recommend checking out skarmbliss.com; tons of old vgc info for the past few years and lots of team strategies and the like.

Back