Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New ditto ruling

TT85NO1

Does anyone know how exactly this works?

Ditto - Colorless - HP70
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Transform
During your turn, you may play a Basic Pokemon from your hand onto this Pokemon. This Pokemon is treated as that Basic Pokemon. (Any cards, damage counters, conditions, and effects on this Pokemon are transferred to the Basic Pokemon.)

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Treated is such a vague term. Does it actually just become a clone copy for ex basics or does it stay a 70 hp Pokemon?

Also can you stack multiple Pokemon on ditto?

Considering you're supposed to treat Ditto like that pokemon, it'll have the health of that pokemon. What I'm wondering is what'll happen to the basic you play down. If it stays on Ditto and is discarded along with it, what point is there to playing Ditto at all? Or do you take Ditto back to your hand... which I don't really see any more of an advantage to either. Although I'm probably missing something there.

Ugh so confusing. Even in japanese it still makes no sense...

---------- Post added 07/11/2012 at 01:39 PM ----------

I feel like they should have said what happens when it gets KOed, and what happens to the card you put on top.

My guess is that the theory is that since Ditto is becoming the new Pokémon, you would be able to evolve it without having to wait another turn cycle.

So like, play Ditto T1. On T2 use Juniper or the like, get both Bulbasaur and Venusaur (for example), play Bulbasaur onto Ditto, and immediately Rare Candy Bulbasaur into Venusaur, since Dittosaur was already in play at the start of the turn.

I guess that you weren't judging back then :D Players got very inventive with Brock's Ninetales. This Ditto looks like it will be simpler, but who knows what the players will come up with.

I suppose it could make for some surprises. If you get some Prism on it, your opponent might have to take a guess at what you'll put on top of him.

Assuming it works this way, if you have a low HP basic that you need to evolve into something bigger, place Ditto down to avoid the Catcher knock-out. Then next turn Transform and evolve.

I have no idea what the rules would be regarding transforming and evolving, but since Ditto becomes the new Pokémon, and Ditto has been on the bench for a turn, it makes sense that it works this way.

If it did work this way, it would also leave your options open, if you have 2 basics in hand, and you know you could easily get the corresponding Stage 1 (holding Comm, Ultra Ball etc), then you have an extra turn to assess the situation and see which Stage 1 would benefit you more.

It looks like a real fun card, even if it might give some judges the odd headache. It doesn't look like it will be tier 1 card like Swoop Teleporter, but you never know what Tom Dolezal will do with it :D

If nothing else, our blob freind has free retreat with SKy Arrow. Could be a good way to avoid big retreat cost basics like Terrakion/Groudon/Kyogre sitting active before you are ready for them.

This could also be a really nice starter. Since some decks have different Pokémon that they would rather start with in different situations, if you try and start with Ditto then you have your whole first turn to find the Pokémon that you wanted to start with, and Transform. No need to worry about wasting energy retreating to the one you actually wanted.

I can almost guarantee that Ditto can't use multiple basics. I can almost guarantee that Ditto and the attached basic BOTH go to discard after being KOed.

The purpose of the card could be starting with it, then choosing the best Pokemon for the match up.

Or placing Emolga in the active spot.

It could be to drop Ditto, then take your pick on what it evolves into on the next turn, a utility evolution deck?

If I'm playing Garch/Alt I can; have a Gabite, a Swablu, and a Ditto on bench. No matter which one is KOed on the next turn I'll still have one of each. Theoretically.

Then of course many decks can take advantage of multiple of these uses.

My guess is that the theory is that since Ditto is becoming the new Pokémon, you would be able to evolve it without having to wait another turn cycle.

So like, play Ditto T1. On T2 use Juniper or the like, get both Bulbasaur and Venusaur (for example), play Bulbasaur onto Ditto, and immediately Rare Candy Bulbasaur into Venusaur, since Dittosaur was already in play at the start of the turn.

Even though Ditto has been in play for one turn, the basic Ditto becomes hasn't been in play for that one turn. I'd argue you can't evolve after placing that basic onto Ditto on turn 2.

Even though Ditto has been in play for one turn, the basic Ditto becomes hasn't been in play for that one turn. I'd argue you can't evolve after placing that basic onto Ditto on turn 2.

The new basic retains all conditions and effects. I'm aware it could specifically refer to special conditions and effects such as "sand attack", but it only makes sense for Ditto's turn placement to be an "effect" as well.

"Search your deck for a Basic Pokémon (excluding Pokémon-ex) and switch it with 1 of your Basic Pokémon (excluding Pokémon-ex) in play. (Any cards attached to that Pokémon, damage counters, Special Conditions, and effects on it are now on the new Pokémon.) Place the first Basic Pokémon in the discard pile. Shuffle your deck afterward."

This is the wording on a previous card that has a very similar effect. The ruling on this card allowed for the new basic to evolve into its stage 1. Considering that Ditto has the same wording, using the word "effects" to include being in play for a turn, I would definitely say it's safe to test with Ditto being able to evolve basics right away.

Back