Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New exception to a meta-rule?

Pajamas

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
Compendium Lv.X said:
Q. Could I play a trainer if it's obvious that it will have no effect (i.e. Life Herb on a Pokémon without any damage and with no Special Conditions on it)?
A. No, you cannot play a card if it is obvious that you cannot do what the card is supposed to do at that moment. (Sep 22, 2005 PUI Rules Team)
Solrock CatS said:
:pbody: Heal Block
If you have any Lunatone in play, neither player’s Pokemon can recover any HP.
Clash at the Summit FAQ said:
Q: Can I use a “Moo-Moo Milk” (HS) Trainer card in my hand while Solrock’s “Heal Block” Poke-Body is working?
A: Yes, you can use it. However, your Pokemon can’t be healed.

Q: Can I use a “Potion” Trainer card in my hand while Solrock’s “Heal Block” Poke-Body is working?
A: Yes, you can use it. However, you can’t remove damage counters.
Translations could be wrong, Japanese rulings aren't necessarily applicable elsewhere, etc. That being said, if this ruling were to stand, would it be the first case where you're allowed to play a trainer from your hand when it's known to have no effect?

Lunatone doesn't stop the fact that the card CAN do something. Therefore, it can still be played, I guess.

I agree it seems a strange ruling - It may be changed when it comes to English.

EDIT: Ah, that makes more sense. Probably won't be changed, then, we'll just have a lot of confused players. :)

Last edited:
Both of the questions have different situations.

The Compendium question asks if you can heal if you obviously can't, acknowledging that there is no damage counters on a pokemon.

The japanese translation rules that you can play a trainer even though you won't be able to heal, but there is an assumption that there is damage counters on the field. You meet the requirements to play the trainer, but Solrock prevents the healing of the pokemon.

If this is the way it's ruled, it's similar to how you're allowed to play Super Scoop Up with Shiftry on your opponent's side.

Translations could be wrong, Japanese rulings aren't necessarily applicable elsewhere, etc. That being said, if this ruling were to stand, would it be the first case where you're allowed to play a trainer from your hand when it's known to have no effect?
These don't contradict each other.

In one case, the game state is such that you can't do something. There are no damage counters to remove via a Potion. There is no Benched Pokemon to Switch with. That kind of thing.

In the case of this Solrock, the effect is being blocked. There are damage counters to remove, so you can play the healing card. Then Solrock blocks it.

Totally different situation.

And how you're allowed to Rare Cnndy a Uxie.

Uhh..... No you're not allowed to.

Back