Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New to pokemon - help with mega alakazam ex deck

y05h1eggz

Hello everyone! I just started playing the Pokemon TCG yesterday after wanting to get into it for a while. I finally found local people who played with physical cards. I know this deck isn't too great because we honestly created it from cards he already had in his collection and made it in about thirty minutes. If it's complete trash let me know. But I was just wondering if there were any ways to improve it and make it more competitive.

The problems I know it has is I don't have enough supporters or items that heal, I have a lot of weak Pokemon and I want multiples of some of the better cards, like Alakazam and Lugia. I also know some of these items are slightly useless until I get multiples of the Pokemon. I don't own any cards of my own besides the 60 in this deck. So I was just looking for a bit of advice on how to improve on this deck for now. I just want to know what I should buy. The strategy for this deck seems to be getting as many counters on the other player's Pokemon (active and benched) as possible so when Mega Alakazam EX comes out it basically does a ton of damage (hopefully).

Or any deck suggestions at all are also welcome. I'm wiling to spend up to $175 to create a deck once I know a bit more. Just let me know where to start with this deck so I can try and improve it! Thank you!

MAKESHIFT DECK:

1 x ALAKAZAM EX
1 X MEGA ALAKAZAM EX
1 X LUGIA EX
3 X HOOPA
2 X DRIFLOON
2 X DRIFBLIM
2 X AZELF
2 X CHAOS TOWER
1 X RANDOM RECEIVER
1 X REVIVE
1 X GREAT BALL
1 X POKE BALL
3 X REPEAT BALL
1 X ULTRA BALL
2 X LUCKY HELMET
3 X PROFESSOR'S LETTER
3 X EVOSODA
2 X NINJA BOY
3 X POKEMON FAN CLUB
1 X STEVEN
1 X TIERNO
1 X POKEMON CENTER LADY
2 X OLYMPIA
19 X ENERGY

Last edited:
If you were to play Mega Alakazam in the current Standard format, it is worth mentioning that this deck has a horrible matchup against Mega Mewtwo/Garbodor (a deck that will likely be heavily played). One bad matchup isn't reason enough to not play a deck, but just keep in mind that it will likely be a bad meta call in a Mewtwo heavy field. This deck also lost a lot of really helpful cards when rotation happened, but the deck can definitely still do some work!

A simple (standard) list to begin with:

4 Alakazam FAC 25
4 M Alakazam FAC 26
2 Wobuffett GEN 111
2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
1 Hoopa-EX AOR 36
1 Absol ROS 40
4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Ninja Boy
1 Skyla
4 Alakazam Spirit Link
4 Devolution Spray
4 Trainer's Mail
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
2 Float Stone
2 Mega Turbo
1 Super Rod
3 Sky Field
8 Psychic Energy

I'm running a bit low on time, so that might not be exactly 60 cards, but I think this would be a pretty decent starting point to work with. Cards like Shaymin EX, Hoopa EX, and VS Seeker are going to be the most expensive parts of the deck but if you can afford them they are used in virtually every deck so it wouldn't be a waste to get them. Make sure you don't get any of the World Championship cards, they are all over eBay at the moment! They have silver borders and a different back than normal cards and can not be played in tournaments.

Back