Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

New To Pokemon.

I've been trying to decide which TCG would be best for me, and, after a long time of contemplation, I've decided that Pokemon is the one for me. :D

The problem is, I really don't know that much about Pokemon .. I mostly only chose it because it brought back great memories, but, I'm determined to end up loving it.

Since I don't understand much about this TCG, I have no idea how I would go about building a deck. So, that's why I'm here .. where should I start? What type of deck should I build, and which cards should I use to build it? I have a minimal amount of cards currently, so, I'm open to any ideas since I'll be able to just buy the cards without having to worry about not getting use out of the cards I do have. :p

Any help for a newbie?

Thanks. :)

You would want to go to the Single Card and Strategy section.

If you have a list of every card at your disposal, feel free to PM me with what you have. Then I will gladly help you with a new deck.

Welcome to the game.

the best way to learn quickly is to play a Metagame deck (one of the accepted "good" decks that others use). A cheap but very good one i would suggest is Charizard (and this should last for a little while too).

The main cards you need are:
- Charizard (Arceus Expansion)
- Ninetails (Call of Legends or HeartGold SosulSilver Expansion)
- Typhlosion Prime (HeartGold SoulSilver Expansion)

The Charizard can easily be gotten in this pack:
- http://www.thecardcellar.co.uk/poke...3.html?zenid=37276ab9d9b6ffb94bd0e13fdc091123

The Typhlosion can easily be gotten in this tin:
- http://www.thecardcellar.co.uk/poke...6.html?zenid=37276ab9d9b6ffb94bd0e13fdc091123

The Ninetails has now been printed in 2 sets, including the most recent one, so should be quite cheap.

You will also need a bunch of trainers and fire energy but these should be ok to get hold of. I would recommend getting some packs of HeartGold SoulSilver as these have good trainers and the pre-evolutions of Typhlosion (and you can get ninetails from this set).

This deck avoids most of the expensive cards like Uxie and Uxie Lv.X.

Hope this helps :)

Oh, here are some good articles about this deck:
- http://www.sixprizes.com/deck-analy...-desirehellfire-charizard-deck-list-analysis/

- http://www.sixprizes.com/tournament-reports/quest-ultimate-charizard/

- http://www.sixprizes.com/videos/profit-episode-33-charizard-deck-analysis/

- http://www.sixprizes.com/featured-articles/charizard-powerful-quick-awesome/

How much money are you looking to spend on a deck?

Where are you looking to play your deck? Just at league, or tournaments as well?

Charizard is garbage.

We need to know how much money you have, whether you plan to go to tournaments, your area, card resources, preferences regarding strategy, previous experience regarding TCGs, etc. etc.

With that, advanced players will better be able to help you. Welcome to Pokémon. It's the best.

Charizard is garbage.

They're new to the TCG and probably don't have many cards to start off with. It's not like they're talking about a deck for Worlds or anything. Charizard is a great deck for beginners - easy to understand, isn't an awful play for tournaments and is likely to survive the rotation.

The deck I run is pretty fun and it didn't cost to much. It is called Mother Earth or Rabid Shaymin. It isn't Metagame but I find it fun. The most expensive cards are Shaymin Lv. X from Platinum (126/127), Meganium Prime from the HGSS Tin, and Tangrowth Lv.X from Arceus (99/99).

(snagged Third at Cities so it isn't to bad a deck)

Charizard is garbage.

I find this quite a rude response. Especially with nothing else to it.

I am aware that Charizard is not a meta-breaking deck. I have everything i need to run a good Charizard list but don't run it because i consider it not good enough. However, as stated, i believe that the best way to learn the pokemon TCG is to make and play with a metagame deck. Charizard is not the best for this, but i believe it to be the best combination of cheap and good. It won't win states but it WILL get a few wins and it won't cost too much or involve too many of the hard to get cards. I also like that both Charizard and Typhlosion are available in promo packs, making them easy to get hold of, as well as giving some boosters when you buy said promo packs. This is why i included links to the promo packs and suggestions of articles to help build a solid list.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me, that's everyone's right, but i do wish people wouldn't just rubbish my idea without any reasons or better suggestions. I tried to help a fellow player by providing information on how to make a cheap but effective deck. I don't think this should lead to negative comments.

As a side note, Charizard stands a VERY good chance of being one of the top decks after rotation. By this time a new player should be getting comfortable with the deck and could start being extremely competitive. I also suggested this deck due to its post-rotation use.

I think that one of the cheapest compition level decks is Gyarados (see article on front page here You will learn about speed by playing this deck.

It plays a lot of trainers that will find their way into your future decks. Trainers and supports are good investments because they tend to be reused often.

Most of the cards should be $5 or less. (BTS - broken time space maybe a little more.) When playing for fun and missing a few cards slip in a couple of proxies) Place holders for the real cards. Just write "BTS" on a couple of extra cards while trying out and deciding if you want to spend the money.

I would avoid SP decks. At least initially. They require a specific set of trainers and supports that don't work in other decks. Some of the key cards Luxray LvX for example are very expensive. But you should look for opportunities to play against it.

For casual play it is fun to try to make decks that may not win tournaments but are still fun to play. But even then you will want to borrow from the winning decks to build your fun decks.

Good Luck and have fun!

First: I think you need to decide how you want to play the game. There are two ways to play the game, Tournament-style, or League-style.

For the Tournament-style, if you want to compete in Tournaments and perhaps win big prizes, you're going to have to stay up to date with the Modified format (a list of newer sets that are legal for play at tournaments -- changes yearly). You will need to travel to events, but there may be an event or two close to you. You will also need to spend some money on getting the most competitive cards.

The League-style of playing is a lot more laid back. For many Pokemon Leagues, any set of cards is legal to use. This means that your original cards, if you have any, are still legal to use. You don't have to worry about traveling because your local Pokemon League, if there is one, isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Also, the need to purchase the competitive cards isn't as important since you can use older generation cards, many of which used to be competitive cards but are now rotated out of the Modified format and have lost most of their value.

It may be a good idea to start out with the League-style, and if you feel like you want to take it to the next level, embark on working towards the Tournament-style. Of course, it isn't black and white, there are shades of gray. There are plenty of people that don't travel to every event in their area but do travel to some, and there are players who play some of the competitive cards but not exactly what every other competitive player uses.

But it's important to figure out what you want to get out of the game, and figure out what it is going to cost you and if it is worth your time.

More importantly, like Professor Oak says in the beginning of every Pokemon game...

"Welcome to the World of Pokemon!"

The cards that you need specifically would be supporters and trainers from the newer sets. Like pokemon communication, pokemon collector, professor oaks new theory(PONT), copycat, and many others.

If you can, try and get some of the league promos at league or from a friend. Spiritomb AR and uxie LA are good ones.

And if you are willing to spend the money, I would suggest playing jumpluff. It uses the jumpluff lines from HGSS, sunflora lines from HGSS, and sometimes spiritomb(league promo). It is basically an auto-pilot deck-you get out the sunfloras with spiritomb, and then use the sunfloras to get every other grass pokemon out of your deck. The only really important card in it is Pokemon Collector. With just one, you can set up your entire field just about.

Hope I helped.

Back